LV expertise needed....Is this true?

Ryan Patel

Jul 22, 2006
I just read in the "LV Trivia" thread that only 1% of the LV monogram handbags are authentic. What exactly does this mean.....that there is a 99% chance that some of my monogram bags are not?

I own several pieces, and often feel that they appear a little off at times....in that the monogram varies from others.

I own an Ellipse bag, and the monogram canvas appears quite dark, whereas, my speedy 35 and other flexible bags that adorn the monogram canvas tends to look light. I feel as though the Ellipse is more real than the others....even though all came from a boutique.

I have even held these bags together just to see if things are different, and they are. I cherish my bags dearly, and have become obsessed with the colors. I even went ahead and purchased a speedy 30 a year ago. Though it has tanned nicely, it too differs from all the other monogram canvas bags that I own.

What I am trying to get at is this: Is it because of Mass production that only 1% of monogram bags are authentic...or did I read that thread wrong (LV Trivia)?

Thanks in advance!

If you bought from a boutique you have NOTHING to worry about.
What that means is that 1 out of every 100 bags you see on the street are actually authentic because LV is a very popular brand with counterfeiters and purchasers of fake handbags.

if you bought them in a boutique, they MUST be real. i understood it to mean that 99% of the bags you see on the street are fake, not that 99% of mono's are fake. hope this helps!

Agreed with the pp. Boutique items are guaranteed authentic, and there are reputable resellers like let-trade and some ebayers who sell authentic items, too. But because LV is such a popular brand, street vendors and purse parties have scads of them. So of all the bags floating around with an LV symbol, only 1% were actually made by LV and not a counterfeiter.