Books & Music What books could you just NOT finish?

Oh, it is very slow starting, but then BOOM. It takes off. I couldn't put it down after that, but yes, the first chapter was tough to read - very boring!

I also thought the first chapter of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was incredibly slow. It took me about two days to get through 20 pages. But I wanted to keep going since everyone talks about how good the book is, and I got sucked it. I read both it and "The Girl who Kicked the Hornets' Nest" is just a few days.

So for those who couldn't get into it right away, I'd say give it 50 pages to try and get into it... And hopefully you'll be hooked!

Also adding Edith Wharton's "The House of Mirth" to the list. I tried to read it since it was one of my cousin's favorite books, but it was like pulling teeth to get through it.

Wicked was one and so was House of Mirth. I really wanted to read and like both!

My philosophy is, life is too short to read a crappy book!

*LOL* me too. My plan was to finish it, but it's so long and it drags out.

Other books. Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Abroad, Remember me and Twenties girl. Yes, all of them from Sophie Kinsella. I've given up now.

Next up. Nicholas Sparks, didn't finish Dear John.

While I usually like Sophie Kinsella, I had a hard time with Twenties Girl. Had to force myself to read it once I started. I really disliked it!

I started reading LOTR a loooong time ago and stopped after a few pages. Didn't touch the books for maybe 15 years. I think you have to read certain books at certain periods of your life to enjoy them.

I simply could NOT finish Eat, Pray Love.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.

I tried so hard to get into it, but it bored me to death. It's really too bad because that book is to blame for turning me off of Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre indefinitely.
I thought i was the only one!! I actually read most of it but I hated every page. I finally got within 25 pages of the end and just couldn't make myself finish.. This is the only book I have ever gotten so far into and just never bothered to finish!

^I actually think the Dark Tower series is one of King's best novels. I was a bit confused reading the first book and it was very good but wasn't that amazing but once you plow through the first book (it's a relatively short book anyways), the second one Drawing of the Three is by far the best of the series. So don't give up! lol

I'll try. I keep hearing that it's an awesome series of books and I normally suck up anything SK but fantasy isn't one of my favorite genres.

And i just thought of an additional "book". My DH and I will usually listen to an audiobook while on a long road trip. One year, we got Ernest Hemingway's last unfinished book (sorry, I can't remember the name) on audio and it was so bad...We got like 4 tapes in and just never finished. All I remember about it was it was set in Africa (which I usually love) and narrated or read by Brian Dennehy.

Eat, Pray, Love. I have only 15 pages left and some reason I havent been able to pick it back up and finish it. It's been over a year since i left off. i havent seen the movie either! haha

Aww! so many books/authors mentioned that I like (Leo Tolstoy, Follett). I admit to not being able to get through JRR Tolkien's books without skipping entire paragraphs, pages.

Though I (just barely) got through Lionel Shriver's newest book, I gave up trying to read "We need to talk about Kevin" and "Post Birthday World." The plots of her novels are excellent but I CANNOT get over her pretentious writing style! She uses practically every single GRE vocab word in the world, like she's trying to prove how smart she is! Ugh.

The Pact by Jodi Picoult. Had to read it for a group project in high school. I read about 4 pages, then my head refused to allow me to finish such generic awful boringness so I bs-ed my way through that report lol. We got an A luckily

:lol: It looks like many of us couldn't get through The Hobbit!

Re: The Girls with the Dragon Tattoo, I agree that it's worth it to stick with it until it really picks up and becomes interesting. I find the series to be emotionally exhausting, though, so I've been having to take a long break in between the books. I've read 2 of them, and haven't been in the mood to start Hornet's Nest. I will get to it eventually so that I don't have to add the series to this thread. :P

I just remembered that I could NOT finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Halllows. I think I only really enjoyed HP books 1~3. I stuck by it more out of sheer stubbornness to finish what I've started, so I've read 1~6, but couldn't finish the last book in the series. And I really don't care to, ever.

I LOVE reading (would rather do that then watch a movie any day) and will generally read anything :smile:, but I could NOT get through Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I tried reading this book when I was younger and couldn't do it. Then when I was in high school, it was part of my English class and I couldn't get past the first third of the book! Finally, in uni. I was an English major and it was one of the books I had to read again -- NO DICE! I just could NOT read this book! Is there a trick to liking this book? LOL!