how do you pronounce matelasse?

If you're going phonetically in french, it's "Maht-ehl-ahss". I haven't seen an accent of any kind on the last 'e' and it wouldn't really make sense to put it there:yes:
It is brutal to say, as it comes out sounding like "metal a**". I have yet to be able to say it without giggling or trailing off.

OMG! That's :yucky: !
OK, I'm french, so here we go:

The right spelling is "matelassé", so it takes an accent, and I can assure you that any other way to spell it is just WRONG.

The meaning is quilted, and padded (just like a matterass, and that's where the word comes from).

The "é" at the end has to be pronounced, you can't skip on that, if you do you loose the meaning. It's the same sound that you find in "helicopter in english.

I am not very good at using the phonetic alphabet but I would describe the pronounciation this way: "matt- lass- seh"
The two "a" are prononuced like in "atomic"
The "e" is pronounced as I said before like in "helicopter"

Oh, I'm SO glad to hear that there is supposed to be an accent on the end! I was going by the spelling I'd always seen, which is without the accent. Now I don't have to worry about saying it anymore thanks to our wonderful European members! THANK YOU Trama!!:heart: