Books & Music What books could you just NOT finish?

babypie

Jun 3, 2007
And why? Did you feel guilty? Did you force yourself to keep going?

I couldn't finish Anna Karenina, I just found it soooo dull.

I also only got halfway through The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. My friend raved about it and I felt guilty not wanting to finish it. It just didn't interest me at all.

Moby Dick.

It is officially the only book that I haven't completed once starting. I reached a lull in the story line and ended up putting it down. Next thing you know I had read several other books and then I just gave up on it all together. At this point I don't even know where my copy went to! I still feel guilty about it. I feel like it is one of those must read books and that I am missing out on something.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.

I tried so hard to get into it, but it bored me to death. It's really too bad because that book is to blame for turning me off of Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre indefinitely.

And why? Did you feel guilty? Did you force yourself to keep going?

I couldn't finish Anna Karenina, I just found it soooo dull.

I also only got halfway through The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. My friend raved about it and I felt guilty not wanting to finish it. It just didn't interest me at all.

When I saw the title of the thread, "Anna Karenina" was the first thought. I got half way through and gave up. I did like The Historian though.

I tried so hard to get into it, but it bored me to death. It's really too bad because that book is to blame for turning me off of Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre indefinitely.

I actually really liked The Hobbit but when I tried to move on LOTR I couldn't get through them.

A book I was so excited to get my hands on was Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel. An adult Harry Potter was how it was described to me but I just could not force myself to finish it. All the footnotes drove me nuts and it was just so slow going.

A few that come to mind:

Aztec
- so many people have raved about it, but I just couldn't get into it.

The Historian - I like vampire novels so I thought this would be a perfect read for me. I couldn't be bothered to finish it.

The Help - could not get into this for the life of me.

And while I do like some SF/Fantasy, LOTR bores me to tears.

My rule... since 4th grade... is to give a book 100 pages or four chapters to decide if I'll continue it. Life is jusy too short to read books that don't hold my interest.

It was like pulling teeth to read to page 100 of Twilight. I did, though... but that was as far as I read.

I gave up on Shopaholic & Sister, A Danielle Steel book in college (cannot remember the title), Eat, Pray, Love are a few that come to mind.

I'm sure there are many more ;)

Oh God, tell me about it. I couldn't get past a couple of pages. It didn't turn me off Fantasy/Sci-Fi, though. I still love the genre, just nothing by Tolkien.

Also, 100 Years of Solitude. I think I actually got halfway through, but I felt like it was dragging and confusing and just didn't really care for anything happening.