What would you do about a transaction like this?

spendingmore

Oct 13, 2006
This happened to someone I know and would like to get opinions.

Say you list something on ebay with best offer option. A buyer makes an offer and you accept it. The buyer said they made a mistake with the offer amount (which you have to confirm several times btw and hard to make a mistake with) and wants to back out of the deal. My friend lets the person out of the deal and then blocks the buyer so she doesn't make any more "mistakes".

The bidder has ANOTHER ebay ID and sends in a best offer to the same seller but a different amount. BUT because the seller didn't realize it was the same bidder, accepts the offer. But only AFTER she sees the name of the person does she realize its the same bidder.

Now the seller doesn't want to sell it to this person because of how sneaky they are.

It's things like this that make me really hate ebay. Bidders really need to understand ebay rules.

So any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Hm, I see why your friend got upset but at the same time, she sold the item... I know ebay can be annoying - I guess your friend could report the buyer if it is against the rules....
Is it against the rules to have two accounts? Anyway, it wasn't very nice so if she really does not want to sell I am sure she could put in claim

If it was me I would take the money - I understand why people get upset but to be honest ebay is a business like any other, so things like this happen. Out of so many nice seller and buyers you get an odd duck once in a while

She shouldn't have accepted an offer amount that she wasn't willing to accept
Regardless of whatever/whoever it is and how annoying they are, it's totally not personal...

Obviously if she accepted the second offer, which was higher than the first IDs, it was acceptable to the seller.

I think you are missing the point. It's about what the buyer did by using another ID to get an item she knew she was blocked from bidding on.

I think there is an ebay rule about unwanted bids from someone who you already blocked. I need to make sure. I think the bidder can get suspended for it. Does anyone know if this is true?

This is easy: The seller can at this point get the buyer NARU'd from eBay.

It's against eBay policy to bid on someone's auction after already being blocked by the seller under another user id. It's considered to be malicious bidding and is not tolerated by eBay.

This happened to me a few years ago. I immediately reported the buyer to eBay and they kicked her off within minutes of my telephone conversation with them.

I don't think that would be fair to NARU the buyer, The seller and buyer both agreed that it was a mistake. Buyer-by formally saying it to the seller, Seller-by accepting the sorry and letting the buyer off the hook to say I know you made a mistake, So after the buyer purchased again under the other name because the first name was blocked, they really wanted the item and sent the offer for a lower amount which was accepted by seller. The 2nd best offer must have been just as good to the seller, so therefore they should not be upset now. Seller should have voiced this from the beginning, and buyer and seller should have filed a mutual agreement, then proceeded to the correct amount. I think the seller was wrong for blocking someone who clearly admitted to making a mistake and aying sorry.

I think what the buyer did was sneaky and we don't need MORE people like this on eBay. If she made a mistake she should have e-mailed the seller and explained what offer she MEANT to make. If that was acceptable to the seller deal done. Most sellers won't block a buyer just because of a simple mistake in typing in the bid. There had to be more going on.

I think what the buyer did was sneaky and we don't need MORE people like this on eBay. If she made a mistake she should have e-mailed the seller and explained what offer she MEANT to make. If that was acceptable to the seller deal done. Most sellers won't block a buyer just because of a simple mistake in typing in the bid. There had to be more going on.

There is a little more to the story. When you submit a best offer, you have to confirm it several times before it is sent to the seller to accept. You actually have to sign in AGAIN, to confirm it. After the seller accepted it, the buyer writes something to the effect "I didn't want to pay that much for a used item anyway". So the buyer knew what they were doing! Then to come back and say they made a mistake?? THEN on top of it, get sneaky and use another ID to bid on the item.

After researching it, I found ebay does have a policy against this and it's for malicious bidding. If you block one ID, the same buyer cannot come back with another ID and place a bid. So YES it is against ebay policy. The bidder will probably be Naru'd for being sneaky. Plus on top of it, it looks like the bidder has bought and sold fakes in the past.

Just to play devil's advocate here, did your friend tell this buyer that they were upset and that they were going to be blocked from bidding on their auctions? The reason I ask is this, the buyer wanted the bag, put in the wrong price, confirmed it by accident, told the seller about it, then they both mutually withdrawal from the sale. Possibly, the person goes to bid again, notices for some reason they can't place a bid (maybe they think it is because they had bid on the item before and it won't let them again), and they use a husband/wife's id the second time? That wouldn't be against ebay policy would it?

The only reason I ask is, maybe this bidder didn't think there would be a problem bidding again. Was it told to them that they were blocked?

This is easy: The seller can at this point get the buyer NARU'd from eBay.

It's against eBay policy to bid on someone's auction after already being blocked by the seller under another user id. It's considered to be malicious bidding and is not tolerated by eBay.

This happened to me a few years ago. I immediately reported the buyer to eBay and they kicked her off within minutes of my telephone conversation with them.

I totally agree. It sounds to me like the bidder was being sneaky. In order to make an offer you have to enter it and confirm it. It is very difficult to make a mistake. An offer is also binding and the seller was too nice to let her out of the deal. I would have filed a non-paying bidder report myself, either make eBay make her pay or let eBay give her a non-paying bidder strike.

The fact that the buyer put in a second offer under a different ID just proves that she knew she was blocked and was being sneaky. I say report her and let eBay NARU both IDs.

The only reason I ask is, maybe this bidder didn't think there would be a problem bidding again. Was it told to them that they were blocked?

A seller does not have to tell the bidder that they are blocked. A seller can choose who they sell to. In this case, they KNEW they were blocked (I feel as if I need to keep repeating this) and used another ID to bid, which is against ebay policy. The first ID they used said they didn't want to pay so much for an item anyway, then put a higher bid in with another ID? Does this seem like the bidder is still innocent? Not to me it doesn't.

I told my friend she was being to nice to the bidder. I think my friend reported the bidder but ebay is really slow with responses.

Thanks everyone for your input.