Hermes watches... Good investment pieces?

minalim

O.G.
Jul 19, 2008
What do you think of Hermes watches in regarding to price and design? Are they good investment? Do you prefer them with or without diamond. With the same money, will you rather go for other watches brands instead?

H watches, in my opinion, falls into the high fashion category. If you can afford it and like the style then by all means go ahead and purchase one. If you're looking for watches that have low depreciation and as potential investments then I suggest pieces from Patek Phillipe and/or Rolex. Cartier are also very good in horology if you're looking after a French brand. Hope this helps somehow.

H watches, in my opinion, falls into the high fashion category. If you can afford it and like the style then by all means go ahead and purchase one. If you're looking for watches that have low depreciation and as potential investments then I suggest pieces from Patek Phillipe and/or Rolex. Cartier are also very good in horology if you're looking after a French brand. Hope this helps somehow.

ITA

Most time piece aficionados do not associate Hermes with fine watches. It is a fashion house watch. Buy it because you love it, not because you think it will be a good investment.

My watch guy would turn into soup nazi if I took in an H watch for repair and I would be banned from the shop if that gives you an idea of what category to put them in. He also would consider Cartier in the same category. He has a sign out front that clearly states he doesn't work on "fashion watches." LOL! He's a real trip, that one.

That said, though, I would get a kelly watch in a heartbeat. I love them! But as far as what "Watch Nazi" would call a "real watch" - no.

So YES on style, yes on keeping good time and being a great watch. And NO on "investment piece."

He also would consider Cartier in the same category.

Appparently he doesn't know enough about fine watches. Cartier invented the first wrist watch (I believe it's called the Santos) and has strong heritage in watch making. They earned the Geneva seal and invented a complete in-house automatic movement introduced in thir new Calibre de Cartier line launched earlier this year. I don't mean to be rude but I am a watch connoisseur and I'd like to advocate true facts about fine watches :biggrin:

Here is an interesting article on Cartier and their infamous Tank watches that appeared in Vanity Fair mag, http://www.vanityfair.com/style/features/2009/11/fanfair-cartier-200911

Appparently he doesn't know enough about fine watches. Cartier invented the first wrist watch (I believe it's called the Santos) and has strong heritage in watch making. They earned the Geneva seal and invented a complete in-house automatic movement introduced in thir new Calibre de Cartier line launched earlier this year. I don't mean to be rude but I am a watch connoisseur and I'd like to advocate true facts about fine watches :biggrin:

Here is an interesting article on Cartier and their infamous Tank watches that appeared in Vanity Fair mag, http://www.vanityfair.com/style/features/2009/11/fanfair-cartier-200911

Oh I understand - I have a Cartier and love it. I told you he was "odd." That's just one of the reasons I call him Watch Nazi - but he just doesn't consider it a "real" fine time piece. :biggrin:

I can understand why. Most people associate Cartier watches with their glitzy jewelry. Men and diamonds are like oil and water, most of the time. So there are misconceptions on Cartier watches. This is a problem that LV also faces (they cant be compared with Cartier though) with their watch department due to the luxury conglomerate nature of their business that makes their timepieces less attractive than brands that are purely associated with watch manufacturing such as Patek and Rolex for example. Hope I'm not being confusing :P

In this day and age, there isn't really a watch that I consider not a great time piece. They all pretty much are. It's not like back in the time they used real sapphires as the "jewels" and you had real watchmakers to whom it was a life-long craft.

When you get right down to it, for the most part, there are only a few that really stand out as far as the actually inner-workings. They all work about the same and seem to last forever. Now it's more about the styling and name. Not 100%, but way more than it used to be.

to me, that doesn't carry much weight although i do agree that Cartier's Fine Watchmaking collection do seem to be heading in the right direction. However, I'd agree that Cartier is definitely NOT in the same league as AP, PP, VC or Breguet. Except for PP and Rolex, there is really very little chance of resale with profit. So in general, I do not consider watches to be investment unless you are really willing to go for the in demand grand complication pieces.

if having in house movement means anything, Hermes has their "own" Vaucher movement now. but given today's technology, i doubt that that carries much in the world of horology.

just my 2 cents! :P

I'm no connoisseur but I would definitely think of some of Cartier's watch lines as being high fashion rather than fine watches, just as Tiffany's has different lines targeted at different market segments.

At the end of the day, I would only buy a watch (Hermes, Cartier, Rolex or even Patek) if I liked the design. Not to say you shouldn't but I don't treat any of my watches, jewelry or handbags as an investment. I think it is an upside if you make money from reselling these things but they're often hard to resell in difficult times..

Investment is if you purchase something, keep it and sell it in future in the hope of reaping a profit. An Hermes watch is not an investment piece because its resale value is not on par with watches like Rolex, Patek Philippe etc.

But if you have no intention to resell the watch, buy the timepiece that you like regardless of the investment value :smile: