Questions for Rolex Owners - Maintainence Cost

DH has a model from the 60's. He bought in 1995 & its never been serviced. It's one you have to wind. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
We use this watch when we go on vacation. So it lays dead in the safe most of the time.

The last time I sent mine in for servicing was about 10 years ago. $150. Since then I haven't bothered to send it in for maintenance. It runs a bit slow sometimes but as long it tells the time, I don't really bother.

The last time I sent mine in for servicing was about 10 years ago. $150. Since then I haven't bothered to send it in for maintenance. It runs a bit slow sometimes but as long it tells the time, I don't really bother.

I hear that a Rolex needs to have regular maintenance. Otherwise, there may be serious damage. Think in terms of a car that needs oil change every so often. Am I right or is it just Rolex's ploy to suck more money out of me?

I hear that a Rolex needs to have regular maintenance. Otherwise, there may be serious damage. Think in terms of a car that needs oil change every so often. Am I right or is it just Rolex's ploy to suck more money out of me?

I never heard about the serious damage part before. I don't think it's true unless you go swimming, scuba diving, mountain climbing etc. with your watch. My grandfather has one from the 30s and I think he only sent it less than 3 times in his entire life.

wondering where did you hear that too wrong information?

only service when needed it !
5 years is recommended by Rolex. Otherwise, 10, 15, 20 years or more does not matter. As long as the watch runs good, there is unnecessarily to spend money.

It is around $500-600, but only needs to be done every five years or so. You can probably get away with longer if you are not terribly hard on the watch. I don't remember the specifics, but I believe they take the entire thing apart and check EVERYTHING, replace whatever needs it, lubricate parts, and reseal everything.