Customs/taxes for getting an item from Japan to Canada?

emmzk

Sep 26, 2010
Hey all,
I was just wondering if anyone knew about the customs procedures when buying an item from Japan. It's going to be a Chanel bag probably over $1000 so I was wondering if I'll have to pay a lot of taxes/import duties.

canada is strict...so you'll need to pay fees even it's "gift". doesn't matter where it's coming from. BUT if the item (not chanel) is made in Canada...then it should be no fee involved.

^^oh i don't know. i hope someone from canada will chime in. i know in the US it's about 10% NY state...and i think canada is more than that. my gut says..it's around 30%??

It's usually a $5 or $8 handling fee (depending on the shipping method the shipper used), plus tax (so GST or HST, depending which province you're in). Depending on where the item was made... if customs decide to open up your package and be anal about it, they will also charge 18% duty. It happened to me one time on a BCBG dress... I paid about $29 on a $90 dress... I was not happy but nothing I could do about it.

It's usually a $5 or $8 handling fee (depending on the shipping method the shipper used), plus tax (so GST or HST, depending which province you're in). Depending on where the item was made... if customs decide to open up your package and be anal about it, they will also charge 18% duty. It happened to me one time on a BCBG dress... I paid about $29 on a $90 dress... I was not happy but nothing I could do about it.

it's about 30%...so my memory didn't play a trick on me. it's insane.

Since it's coming from Japan, you will probably have to pay duty (about $60 on a $1000 bag) and also taxes, brokerage and disbursement. It could depend on what provence you are in... and also if you are using FedEx or some other guaranteed delivery system.

Is it a vintage? I remember asking the customs officer about it and she said that if an item is vintage then you don't have to pay any duty. Can't remember how old the item has to be. Best to call their office.

Reactions: Kailua
Bumping up an old thread...Anyone in Canada has any recent experience on paying duty/tax on ebay items shipped from Japan? Please share it here, thanks!

I called the Customs and they said usually it's 10.5% duty + local HST + handling fee (around $10 for Canada Post). So for BC we're looking at 22.5% of the cost of the item plus $10. For a 15 year old bag, sigh...

Reactions: Kailua
Bumping up an old thread...Anyone in Canada has any recent experience on paying duty/tax on ebay items shipped from Japan? Please share it here, thanks!

I called the Customs and they said usually it's 10.5% duty + local HST + handling fee (around $10 for Canada Post). So for BC we're looking at 22.5% of the cost of the item plus $10. For a 15 year old bag, sigh...

That sounds about right. And that is assuming Canadapost delivers it and it is not delivered by one of the couriers. The couriers charge a lot more for brokerage than $10.

It doesn't matter where the item is shipped from. But if the item is manufactured in North America, NAFTA applies and there are no duties. Just taxes. From my experience, unless customs does an inspection or it is specified otherwise, most items coming into Canada from the US are treated as if they are manufactured in the US (even most of them aren't) and only the taxes are applied or even nothing if CRA decides not to bother. Items coming in from other countries are treated as if they were manufactured outside of North America (and probably most of them are) so they generally attract both duties and taxes.