Winter Staple Items?

ladyash

O.G.
Jun 5, 2010
So I guess to start this off, I live in Canada and I HATE winter :sad:
I basically lived in jeans, t-shirts and hoodies last year because I just can't seem to shop for winter things that I like, plus I am ALWAYS cold. I do need to tweak my wardrobe for work this year. I don't have to dress up a ton but I do like to look nice. I am also back in school so I have very little to spend on clothes right now. I usually shop at a designer second hand store that we have here, because they have a better selection and they get new things in daily.

I find summer shopping soooo much easier because I can throw on a dress or a skirt and top and be good to go. I find winter much harder because I really like to wear sweaters because they keep me warm without having to layer too much, but most of them I find make me look and feel frumpy (I'm pretty thin with hardly any *ahem* assets). Also depending on the material I find some sweaters itchy. I don't think I am allergic to wool because I do own two sweaters that are a wool/angora mix. I don't know it may just be how rough the sweater material is on the ones I have been trying on?

Having said all of that, what are some staples that I should be looking to pick up? I basically want to get the staple pieces and then maybe build on them when I have more money to do so.

turtlenecks in black and camel
cardigan sweater in neutral color
black wool dress pants
faux fur vest
pair of neutral leather boots
shearling coat

I am also a canadian (and from winterpeg no less!). My staples are

Wool skirts
Opaque tights
Cashmere cardigans
Classic wool coat

Also love my uggs when not working (after cleaning and purging I still have 5 pairs!!)

@girlygirl4 I love that sweater! It's going on my list of things to look out for. It looks much nicer than hoodies and it will at least keep me warm. I have a few button up cardigan type sweaters but they are thinner material so I don't wear them much once it gets really cold.

@kat I need to find wool dress pants! Those are on the list now too. That would solve freezing in the black silky pair that I own. I was also looking into thick dark wash or black jeggings if they exist to wear with sweaters.

@kristydarling I have brand new boots from last year thankfully. My old ones decided to start leaking around April so I had to go boot shopping. Bought killer black knee high boots with studs, wore them once and then it seemed to warm up and they were too warm to wear. I have a red pea coat that I have had for a couple of years that I love. I wanted to buy a black one this year but I might need to wait till closer to the end of the season for a sale since I don't really "need" it. I just want a new one lol

@bluejinx I have started the skirt hunt! I prefer wearing skirts as much as possible. I own at least 10 (probably more) pairs of winter tights in different patterns and colours and I only have one skirt to wear in the winter.

I don't own a pair of pants. I just weàr skirts. Do you like long or short? A-line or pencil? Or bias cut?
@girlygirl4 I love that sweater! It's going on my list of things to look out for. It looks much nicer than hoodies and it will at least keep me warm. I have a few button up cardigan type sweaters but they are thinner material so I don't wear them much once it gets really cold.

@kat I need to find wool dress pants! Those are on the list now too. That would solve freezing in the black silky pair that I own. I was also looking into thick dark wash or black jeggings if they exist to wear with sweaters.

@kristydarling I have brand new boots from last year thankfully. My old ones decided to start leaking around April so I had to go boot shopping. Bought killer black knee high boots with studs, wore them once and then it seemed to warm up and they were too warm to wear. I have a red pea coat that I have had for a couple of years that I love. I wanted to buy a black one this year but I might need to wait till closer to the end of the season for a sale since I don't really "need" it. I just want a new one lol

@bluejinx I have started the skirt hunt! I prefer wearing skirts as much as possible. I own at least 10 (probably more) pairs of winter tights in different patterns and colours and I only have one skirt to wear in the winter.

In winter I must have:

Skinny jeans
Boots
Turtlenecks
Peacoat

I pretty much wear at least one of those items every day once it gets really cold. In the fall I wear a lot of long sleeve tees and cardigans and stuff.

I agree about replacing hoodies with the big sweater coats- I want to get one myself! There's a really cute gray one at Ann Taylor Loft right now and the piperlime ones are cute too but a little more pricey.

@bluejinx I prefer short skirts and no real preference towards cut or fit. I have a ton of knitted tights and really thick leggings that I can wear with skirts. I think it makes sense to go skirt shopping :smile:

@juneping I have a pair of really neat pleather leggings with a scale pattern on them. One of my favourite things that I own! I wear them a lot. I want to find some plain black ones though. I have a pleather jacket from H&M that zips and I have a pleather jacket also from H&M that looks like a suit jacket. I wear them a lot too.
I probably couldn't wear silk tops in the winter, maybe fall and I do own a few, but I freeze to death even indoors in winter.

@juneping I have a pair of really neat pleather leggings with a scale pattern on them. One of my favourite things that I own! I wear them a lot. I want to find some plain black ones though. I have a pleather jacket from H&M that zips and I have a pleather jacket also from H&M that looks like a suit jacket. I wear them a lot too.
I probably couldn't wear silk tops in the winter, maybe fall and I do own a few, but I freeze to death even indoors in winter.

you can do layering. a flowy top under a cardigan. or you can get thin sweater what hits at your bottom. sweater can be tricky b/c i get itchy when i wear wool. i can only do cashmere or something synthetic like rayon. H+M has plain pleather leggings. i got mine at topshop last winter. but i don't wear them that often...they gave me infection when i wore them too long. it was only good for dinner or party stuff...had to take them off after 4 hours max.

you can do layering. a flowy top under a cardigan. or you can get thin sweater what hits at your bottom. sweater can be tricky b/c i get itchy when i wear wool. i can only do cashmere or something synthetic like rayon. H+M has plain pleather leggings. i got mine at topshop last winter. but i don't wear them that often...they gave me infection when i wore them too long. it was only good for dinner or party stuff...had to take them off after 4 hours max.

My mom is severely allergic to wool. She can touch the softest sweater to her arm and if it even has a tiny bit of wool she will turn red and start itching like crazy. I think I am ok as long as it's soft.
I will have to check out H&M next time I am in Toronto. We don't have one anywhere close but the second hand store here usually gets a few H&M things. If not I might be able to wait until November when I have to write an exam in Toronto. I can reward myself with a bit of retail therapy :smile:

*Leggings
*Warm opaque tights
*Turtlenecks for layering....basic nuetral colors(black, grey) I find that they are perfect to go underneath those flowy silk shirts in cold weather....then but a sweater on top of it all.
*2 basic Cashmere sweaters
*A longer heavier sweater with some slouch/drape
*2 belts
*And some fun scarves;)
*A few pieces of statement costume jewelry pieces for personality.

You seem to have the coat & boots, skirts and pleather items.

Every year InStyle magazine features a 'month of looks' from just a few pieces. I find it really helps me look outside my normal outfit choices to shop my closet. The October issue has it now....HTH!