Help eBay Sellers

Ms. P

Jul 26, 2006
I have a situation where I sold something for $500 to a new Buyer. It was sent and rec'd exactly as advertised but Buyer's wife wanted something different. Do I have to take it back? I do not want to. I did my part. My listing clearly states no returns unless it is not as advertised. I want to hold my ground but I do not want a neg feedback. If I rec'd a neg feedback would eBay remove it?

No, Ebay won't remove negative feedback except in very limited situations. This would not qualify.

If you accept payment by Pay Pal, then you take returns. Ebay wants you to take returns to keep the buyers happy.

What is the reason for a return? It's probably best to have the buyer agree to cancel the transaction so you can get your fees back, and offer a return minus the shipping amount since that was already spent and the return is not due to error or omission.

No, Ebay won't remove negative feedback except in very limited situations. This would not qualify.

If you accept payment by Pay Pal, then you take returns. Ebay wants you to take returns to keep the buyers happy.

What is the reason for a return? It's probably best to have the buyer agree to cancel the transaction so you can get your fees back, and offer a return minus the shipping amount since that was already spent and the return is not due to error or omission.

Not true. You do not have to take returns. If the item was as described, and the buyer is simply saying they want to return it because they've changed their mind, you don't have to take it back.

The buyer may try filing SNAD (significantly not as described) to force the return. Save all of your communications with the buyer, and only communicate with them through eBay, so you can show that there's nothing wrong with the item, only buyer's remorse. It may be a frustrating process, and there is a chance that eBay will side with the buyer if they file a claim, but if you don't want to take a return, stand your ground.

The Buyer agreed that it was as described. It was a gift. The person who received it preferred a different model. I really do not want it back. I did everything correctly. If people want to check something out they should not order on eBay.

The Buyer agreed that it was as described. It was a gift. The person who received it preferred a different model. I really do not want it back. I did everything correctly. If people want to check something out they should not order on eBay.

I agree. If you don't mind a possible fight, don't take it back. You did your job 100% and if you don't accept returns, they have no basis for a return based on just changing their mind. Your correspondence will help you win the claim. Unfortunately, you can do nothing to stop unwarranted negative feedback. Ebay would rather have sellers extremely inconvenienced with negative feedback than inconvenience themselves by having to do a job and actually investigate and remove unwarranted feedback.

Ebay won't remove any negative in this instance. There is no appeal process involved at all.

I have found that you can state a no return policy, but in reality both Ebay and Pay Pal don't care. If the buyer states it wasn't as described (which they commonly do just to return), Ebay and/or Pay Pal will instruct them to send it back.

It's always better, IMO, on Ebay to work with the buyer, even if you have a no returns policy. Negatives and low DSR ratings will effect your ability to sell on that site. We may not like it (and it's not fair at all!) but that's reality.

Who knows if there even IS a wife? It could just as easily be buyers remorse plain and simple. And a "new" ID doesn't always mean that the buyer is new iykwim.

You do not have to take a return. Taking a return is no guarantee that you won't get a neg or that the buyer will agree to a cancellation so you could get your fees back.

You could offer to let them use your photos and try to sell the item themselves. I say that with an evil grin because whenever I have so offered I could almost hear the horror at such a prospect in their replies.

Ebay is NOT going to do anything about a neg in this situation.
If you definitely don't want a neg, then accept the return. I would rather do that than have an unhappy buyer. Just as long as the buyer knows they need to pay the shipping to and from.

No, don't accept a return. Why should you have to bow down and take their nonsense? Seriously if more sellers fought this kind of cr*p then less buyers would be treating E-bay sellers like stores.
You didn't do anything wrong, neg feedback would be unwarranted and E-bay WOULD remove it (I know because i had a neg for something similar and after contacting an E-bay rep they informed me that i "qualified" and removed the neg then and there whilst i was live chatting with them)
You shouldn't have to accept a return if you don't want to (and you quite clearly don't) s don't give in. Good luck.

I agree, do not acccept a return especially as the buyer has already agreed and confirmed to you that the item was as described. I assume you have this crucial information in an email from the buyer?

I also agree with poopsie2 - I'd suggest/tell the buyer to sell it himself! :biggrin:

As a seller, you have done nothing wrong; stand your ground.

We rarely know the real truth of what is going on with a return, but let me ask a question. How would you want to be handled? What would you think is fair if you are on the other side of this exchange?

I happen to be married to a better half who rarely chooses to keep the gift I get. Our daughter and I have come to get a laugh out of it each holiday season and don't let it get the best of us. It is the thought after all, but things might get more serious if the merchant would not let us return it. In fact, if I have doubts, I confirm before I buy, but this could be new for them.

As others have mentioned, if the seller wants to get nasty about it, there is a good chance eBay and/or PayPal will side with them. (Regrettable, but seems to be happening more and more)

There is certainly the possibility of a scammer sending the wrong product back but there are methods to discourage this, and a restocking charge might go toward discouraging the return as well. You could explain that the restocking charge helps to defray the extra handling and videotaping of the package being opened and item inspected.

Done in a friendly fashion, we have rarely had an issue, but there is always a first time, so you have to go with your gut. If their feedbacks seem to say they are honest, I would take a shot. But just MY opinion.

If they have been on for 5 years and only have a few feedbacks, they are either not buying much or sellers are not leaving feedback, which might be a red flag. There are sites to check for feedback OFF eBay, and maybe someone here will mention it. I rarely use it and it has slipped my mind.

Toolhaus is the feedback link I was thibking about but could not remember. Coincidentally, someone else was talking about it in another post. Thanks for jogging me mind.

I'm not a fan of buyers who treat auctions like retail sales and sellers like retail stores. If you get a good deal on eBay, you pay the price for that good deal in other ways, among them getting stuck with an item that didn't work for you or having to turn around and sell it.

The buyer bought it, the gift was a flop, and that shouldn't be the seller's problem, IMO. Yet, I agree with eBayguy that depending on the circumstances sometimes it's better to accept a return as long as the buyer agrees to pay for the return shipping and a restocking fee to cover the seller's eBay/PP fees. I too would follow my intuition--if my gut tells me that the risk of a switch n' bait from this particular buyer is insignificant, I would consider the return-refund.

To answer your Q, eBayguy: if I were in the buyer's shoes (and I have been in those shoes...regretting a purchase :Push:smile:, I would expect to not be able to return the item kuz I bought it on eBay and not Bloomingdales. :biggrin: