Humane python?

qrius1

Jun 29, 2009
I love the look of real python skin, but, in another thread someone pointed out that the animal is skinned alive to obtain the hide?!?! :amazed: Does anyone know if this is always the case, or if a bag is identified to be "...imported with the international rules safeguarding the species", would that mean the process is not done to the live animal?
I just bought a nice bag that I like, but will not keep if this was what was done to make it. Can anyone help?

Sickening stuff, although for once I am glad iPad can't get the video! Yes, it was your post elsewhere platinum girly where I first saw this - but what is the point of the CITES certification or a label as I mentioned? Is this cruelty present in those cases as well?

I love the look of real python skin, but, in another thread someone pointed out that the animal is skinned alive to obtain the hide?!?! :amazed: Does anyone know if this is always the case, or if a bag is identified to be "...imported with the international rules safeguarding the species", would that mean the process is not done to the live animal?
I just bought a nice bag that I like, but will not keep if this was what was done to make it. Can anyone help?

i don't like snakes at all but that is HORRIBLE and should be ILLEGAL!!!

no creature should be TORTURED ever!

I do love leather bags though... i hope my cow, lamb, whatever didn't suffer :sad:

I didn't know snakes used for fashion were skinned alive.

I've collected so many naturally shedded snakeskins from my garden that I have a shoe box full of them (weird hobby I know :biggrin:).
The skins are so thin and dry that I've sometimes wondered how they could be 'revived' to make them soft and suitable for shoe and bag manufacture.

Guess I can stop wondering now.

I didn't know snakes used for fashion were skinned alive.

I've collected so many naturally shedded snakeskins from my garden that I have a shoe box full of them (weird hobby I know :biggrin:).
The skins are so thin and dry that I've sometimes wondered how they could be 'revived' to make them soft and suitable for shoe and bag manufacture.

Guess I can stop wondering now.

Shedded snakeskins cannot be used for anything, it just an useless thin & dry membrane.

Sadly not only snakes are skinned alive for their skin, so are other exotic skins & furs. Inorder to preserve their natural beauty, it is the only way but a cruel way. Skin from dead animals are not nice, it like freshly slaughtered meat compared to frozen meat, they are different.

i cant watch any of those kinds of videos. but i won't buy a snakeskin bag now

what about regular leather bags? do the cows, lambs suffer?

From what I have read, the leather is harvested after the cow or lamb is slaughtered.

ETA: This may not apply in all countries. In the US there is the Humane Slaughter Act of 1958.

7 U.S.C.A. § 1902. Humane methods
No method of slaughtering or handling in connection with slaughtering shall be deemed to comply with the public policy of the United States unless it is humane. Either of the following two methods of slaughtering and handling are hereby found to be humane:
(a) in the case of cattle, calves, horses, mules, sheep, swine, and other livestock, all animals are rendered insensible to pain by a single blow or gunshot or an electrical, chemical or other means that is rapid and effective, before being shackled, hoisted, thrown, cast, or cut; or
(b) by slaughtering in accordance with the ritual requirements of the Jewish faith or any other religious faith that prescribes a method of slaughter whereby the animal suffers loss of consciousness by anemia of the brain caused by the simultaneous and instantaneous severance of the carotid arteries with a sharp instrument and handling in connection with such slaughtering.
According to the law, animals should be stunned into unconsciousness prior to their slaughter to ensure a quick, relatively painless death. The most common methods are electrocution and C02 stunning for swine and captive bolt stunning for cattle, sheep, and goats. Frequent on-site monitoring is necessary, as is the employment of skilled and well-trained personnel. An animal is considered properly stunned when there is no "righting reflex"; that is, the animal must not try to stand up and right itself. Only then can it be considered fully unconscious. It can then proceed down the line, where slaughterhouse workers commence in cutting up its body.

Last edited: