need advice re: item received

louiswanabee

coachfrk LVwanabee
Jan 8, 2009
Hi everyone, I'm hoping I can get some insight to an issue. I purchased a pair of gold hoop earrings that have a "hinge" that goes through your ear and then "clicks" into the "v" groove to hold the hoop closed. I've had them for 9 days and wore them for the first time today (other than trying 1 on the day I received them quickly to see how it looked). After having them in my ears for about 2-3 hours, I looked in my rearview mirror as I was driving and noticed that one of the hoops was gone! The "hinge" part was still in my ear but the hoop is gone. I've tried to back track and see if I could find the hoop part to no avail. As you can guess I am very upset ... ok... my question is ... would you pursue it with the seller/ebay to see about getting a refund (partial/full) for what I consider a defective item ... not in "excellent" condition as described or would you leave it be? If it was costume jewelry or something I would probably leave it be but this is a "name brand" type of gold jewelry and I purchased them for $140. I've never had this happen before and am pretty upset so I would appreciate other people's views.
Thanks so much!

I would be upset as well - and I am sorry that this happened to you. Unfortunately, I suspect that the seller will say that she never experienced any issues with the earrings and I don't know that you would be able to prove otherwise to eBay's satisfaction such that you would win a dispute. That said, it is worth a shot to sent a message to seller and see how she chooses to handle it! Good luck!

I'm sorry this happened to you....I don't know if you can prove the seller sent you a pair of defective earrings though- especially since the parts of earrings are lost. I've lost countless earrings and bracelets that somehow seem to fall off of me and always have blamed it on my sloppiness...

I don't think the Seller should be held responsible for your loss. If they were "broken" you should have determined that day one when you received them. Hopefully you did not pay to much for them.

Yup, my pile of 'scrap' gold has several single earrings. They are so light you don't notice them departing.

That just sucks, OP, but I don't know what the seller would feel responsible for.

anything could have happened. jewelery is delicate and you simply changing clothes or moving your hair with your hand could have pulled the hoop just enough to snap it off. it doesn't even have to be defective to break that way.

what exactly were they?

I don't think the Seller should be held responsible for your loss. If they were "broken" you should have determined that day one when you received them. Hopefully you did not pay to much for them.

I've got to say I agree. This has happened to me before with a necklace - the charm fell off. I just chalked it up to bad luck, cause the item was in good condition when it arrived. it's a bummer though.

Thanks for the replies... I appreciate it. Lots of valid points expressed. If nothing else I feel better "venting" ... I'm just so mad cause if I had bought these earrings at a brick & motar store and this happened, I would have gone back in and asked for a refund knowing that I didn't abuse the earrings in the 3 hours I wore them and that it should not have just broken off like that. I could get where i didn't "snap" it all the way shut and it fell out of my ear and it became lost...but to have the hinge part still stuck in my earring hole and just the hoop part missing... that's what gets me! I guess that's a chance you take when buying off ebay...thanks again!

anything could have happened. jewelery is delicate and you simply changing clothes or moving your hair with your hand could have pulled the hoop just enough to snap it off. it doesn't even have to be defective to break that way.

what exactly were they?

Earrings that are hard to come by now:crybaby:so I can't really just pick up another pair ... thanks for asking

Attachments

• earrings 044.JPG
    earrings 044.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 96
  • earrings 043.JPG
    earrings 043.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 78
  • earrings 041.JPG
    earrings 041.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 78
I once lost an earring that I loved. A few months later I saw the owner of an ice cream store that I went to on a regular basis wearing ONE of the same earrings and a plain gold ball earring in the other ear. I asked her about it and she said she lost one but loved it so much that she still wore it. The next time I went in, I gave her MY earring.

IMHO, if part of the earring was still on your ear, it was defective. Try e-mailing the seller - she may have a relationship with a supplier and be able to get a replacement for you.....considering the defect in the pair you bought. Asking is free.

I once lost an earring that I loved. A few months later I saw the owner of an ice cream store that I went to on a regular basis wearing ONE of the same earrings and a plain gold ball earring in the other ear. I asked her about it and she said she lost one but loved it so much that she still wore it. The next time I went in, I gave her MY earring.

IMHO, if part of the earring was still on your ear, it was defective. Try e-mailing the seller - she may have a relationship with a supplier and be able to get a replacement for you.....considering the defect in the pair you bought. Asking is free.
that was super nice of you and prob made her day