Food Hummus Recipe

Leelee

Up On My Toes!
Jun 6, 2006
Does anyone have a good hummus recipe? And, also, where can I buy some nice pita bread to go with it?

I had some hummus at the California Pizza Kitchen yesterday and it was the BEST I've ever had. Plus, their pita was doughy and chewy which I liked.

Anyway, I'd like to make some hummus for myself, but I haven't a clue how to do it. (I'd never attempt to make pita bread, though......LOL!)

I have been meaning to make hummus but I have lost my recipe. Here it goes from memory...you can tweak to your taste but this is really good.

-Two regular sized cans of garbanzo beans with some liquid
-2-3 cloves garlic (if you like more, add more)
-2 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
-paprika
-salt/pepper to taste
-1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
-1/2 cup olive oil
-chopped parsley for garnish

1. Put garbanzo beans w/ liquid in pan and heat up just a little
2. Afterwards, throw garbanzo beans into food processor along with maybe half cup of liquid
3. Blend with everything except olive oil, paprika and parsley until smooth
4. Gradually blend in olive oil and add salt/pepper to taste
5. Garnish with paprika and chopped parsley.

Note: The portions of lemon juice and olive oil are what I can't remember but I know I'm pretty close. I would suggest following my recipe loosely until you find the proportions you like. I like lemon and garlic so I always tweak my recipes. You can also search websites like recipezaar.com or allrecipes.com for other ideas. The recipe I had is a combination of two different recipes that I adjusted for my taste.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions.

I forgot to mention that it's best to chill this before serving so that the flavors meld.

Also, I get my pita bread or pita chips at Trader Joe's. I think any good organic store like Whole Foods would have the pita bread and the tahini paste.

Leelee,
I tried to find my recipe but no luck. I do feel confident that I'm very close to the proportions. Just to be safe, here is a link to a very popular hummus recipe. My use of less tahini is a personal preference. The use of peanut butter sounds good too!

Hummus Recipe | Recipezaar