how can tell if a spy is fake?

A little bit off the topic, but I was just wondering, are all Fendi Spy's bound to fade over time?? Do certain colours hold up better than other colours? I'm wanting to get a cognac, but have seen some with colour on the bottoms rubbed off... Do the black or choco ones do this too?? :shrugs:

The older Cognac does fade, the black and Chocolate not so much. All new bags are now treated so they do not fade so much. If you bought a brand new Cognac from a shop it would take a lot of wear before it start to show any signs if at all.

Gucci Fan you can learn a lot by reading the authentic tread on here, by seeing the pictures of what is fake and what is not

I have a fake spy bag on my hands. Yes, I am a sucker but now have educated myself. $400 too late but, live and learn. Mt bag has no clear piece over the end cap. the F's are not lined up perfectly. Oh' well1!!!! :sad:

The older Cognac does fade, the black and Chocolate not so much. All new bags are now treated so they do not fade so much. If you bought a brand new Cognac from a shop it would take a lot of wear before it start to show any signs if at all.

Gucci Fan you can learn a lot by reading the authentic tread on here, by seeing the pictures of what is fake and what is not

Are you able to treat the leather with leather conditioner to prevent it from fading quicker?? :confused1::confused1: Oh, and what's considered 'new' cognac?

I've heard people recommend pre-treatment (like apple guard or LMB) but this should only be necessary if it's an early-model spy or if it's taken alot of abuse and you feel that the protective cover has worn. Otherwise, I wouldn't do anything that might affect its original protective covering. I have an older model that I don't think was treated. When it started blushing in areas, Fendi said I could send it to the factory for a "touch up" and re-seal. I decided not to and used a shine restorer instead which turned the blushing area into almost the same color as the original color. It looks amazing now!!! I may send it to Fendi in the future though since I'll probably use it forever, does anyone know how much this costs/how long it takes? Oh, and mine is a dark chocolate color. New cognac would be anything 2006/2007 right?