Turnlock repair question

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
I recently bought a vintage, red leather "Collegiate" bag circa 1989 and I plan to clean it up. I notice that the turnlock is a bit stiff and makes a squeaky, scratchy noise whenever I turn it. I have read on this forum that JAX will send turnlock repair parts, but I have a few questions for the experienced rehabbers:

- Is it likely that the turnlock is just "stiff" and will ease up with use and TLC? Should I try lubricating it?
- Will JAX send repair/replacement parts for such an old bag?
- Is there a charge for turnlock replacement parts? How much?
- How hard is it to replace/repair a turnlock with the instructions from JAX?
- What do I request when I call JAX? Is there an order number or is it okay just to give them the style number?

Thanks in advance for your advice! Here's a picture of the malfunctioning turnlock!

Attachments

• vtg red mesgr10.JPG
    vtg red mesgr10.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 2,223
I recently bought a vintage, red leather "Collegiate" bag circa 1989 and I plan to clean it up. I notice that the turnlock is a bit stiff and makes a squeaky, scratchy noise whenever I turn it. I have read on this forum that JAX will send turnlock repair parts, but I have a few questions for the experienced rehabbers:

- Is it likely that the turnlock is just "stiff" and will ease up with use and TLC? Should I try lubricating it?
- Will JAX send repair/replacement parts for such an old bag?
- Is there a charge for turnlock replacement parts? How much?
- How hard is it to replace/repair a turnlock with the instructions from JAX?
- What do I request when I call JAX? Is there an order number or is it okay just to give them the style number?

Thanks in advance for your advice! Here's a picture of the malfunctioning turnlock!

I'm not sure if my information is correct BUT it used to be that you could take your bag to a Coach store and they would replace the turnlock for you.

If I were you I would call the Coach 800 number and ask them if Coach stores will replace it OR if the stores won't do it, if Coach would send you a new one.

The turnlock is really easy to replace and I've replaced them myself.

If Coach tells you they don't do that any longer, just message me and I'll give you a link to the ebay seller who sells the replacements for about $5.99.

:smile:

Reactions: Hurrem1001
I'm not sure if my information is correct BUT it used to be that you could take your bag to a Coach store and they would replace the turnlock for you.

If I were you I would call the Coach 800 number and ask them if Coach stores will replace it OR if the stores won't do it, if Coach would send you a new one.

If Coach tells you they don't do that any longer, just message me and I'll give you a link to the ebay seller who sells the replacements for about $5.99.

Thanks!

My mother has the older late '80s Station bags, and all she had to do was call JAX and they sent her a replacement, free of charge. The answers to your questions are right on the Coach website. GL!

See the following link:
"The turnlock closure on my handbag needs replacing. Is that something I can do myself?
We can send you a new turnlock with instructions for replacement. Please call 1-888-262-6224 for more information."
http://www.coach.com/online/handbag...US/CustomerService/ProductInformation/Repairs

Reactions: Hurrem1001
My mother has the older late '80s Station bags, and all she had to do was call JAX and they sent her a replacement, free of charge. The answers to your questions are right on the Coach website. GL!

See the following link:
"The turnlock closure on my handbag needs replacing. Is that something I can do myself?
We can send you a new turnlock with instructions for replacement. Please call 1-888-262-6224 for more information."
http://www.coach.com/online/handbag...US/CustomerService/ProductInformation/Repairs

Thank you!

If it's an older bag, the challenge you might have is removing the screws on the old turnlock. They get REALLY stuck sometimes. Otherwise, it's easy. Coach will send you a replacement as long as you have access to the turnlock. Sometimes it's covered by fabric so it can't be easily replaced.

My guess it that it is dirty or binding a bit. I would try cleaning and lubbing it first, in place. See if you can drip a drop or two of alcohol than liquid soap than something oily like lotion or body oil. Twist back and forth several times between each step to get it to work in.

Try if that helps....

Hello,

I am looking for a turnlock for a Station bag. I called Coach customer service and they said that I would need to send the bag to NJ to their repair department. I think that I can replace myself. Does anyone know how to find a turnlock? Ebay seller?

Thank you.

Hello,

I am looking for a turnlock for a Station bag. I called Coach customer service and they said that I would need to send the bag to NJ to their repair department. I think that I can replace myself. Does anyone know how to find a turnlock? Ebay seller?

Thank you.

Silver-Coach is probably the best-known, they carry all sorts of replacement straps, hardware etc. You might ask them if their replacement turnlocks include instructions but they probably do. They're pretty good at answering customer questions if you're not sure about something, like having the right turnlock for the style and year of your bag.

http://www.ebaystores.com/SCECKERT-SILVER-COACH

Silver-Coach is probably the best-known, they carry all sorts of replacement straps, hardware etc. You might ask them if their replacement turnlocks include instructions but they probably do. They're pretty good at answering customer questions if you're not sure about something, like having the right turnlock for the style and year of your bag.

Thank you, Hyacinth. I will try Silver- Coach. This will be my first turnlock replacement. So exciting!!

Can you send me a link to the Ebay seller too - my turnlock is completely broken on my Legacy bag

Thank you!