Food You on a Diet... What are your favorite healthy recipes?

nviedprincess

Oct 18, 2006
I'm kinda dieting, I say kinda bc I like a few things but when I get tired of eating them I give up. So what are your favorite healthy recipes, or the best dish you make yourself that's healthy?

Broccoli or cauliflower with olive oil and plenty lemon and a good portion of fresh fish in the oven! That is a simple one but proven healthy and low calories! It is working for me and of course (when dieting) 3-4 times a week exercise (of 1 and a half hour though) is essential!! :smile:

I like to make taco salad! I saute a diced yellow onion, diced peppers (if I have them on hand) and some garlic in a big pan, then I add a pound of 95% lean ground beef to brown. Then a can of diced tomatoes, some tomato paste mixed with ~1/4 cup water, chili powder, smokey paprika, and salt and pepper. Then a can of drained and rinsed black beans. Let it cook down for a few minutes.

For myself, I serve the mixture on a bed of romaine with diced tomatoes, onions, salsa, a few black olives, and a little bit of cheese. DH will either have the same or make himself actual tacos. This recipe makes two dinners and two lunches for us (DH has bigger portions than I do). I also like it because it's healthy for me but he'll eat it too (and kids would also eat it!) with no extra work from me.

I like to make a southwestern chicken wrap of sorts. It's shredded rotisserie chicken on a low cal/carb, high fiber wheat wrap with my black bean salsa recipe, lettuce and a little shredded cheese.

back when I was dieting, I used to eat korean tofu house (soon tofu) all the time - the korean tofu soup is SO GOOD - not "good considering it's diet food," actually good enough to have cravings for it . . . so the fact that it's pretty low cal and VERY filling/satisfying is fantastic . . . i always left feeling stuffed, content in the knowledge that I really hadn't consumed many calories at all (^(oo)^)

Nutrition Facts: Servings Per Recipe: 2 Serving Size: 1 serving Amount Per Serving Calories 88.1 Total Fat 6.0 g Saturated Fat 3.7 g polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g Monounsaturated Fat 1.5 g Cholesterol 15.3 mg
Sodium 424.6 mg Potassium 65.0 mg Total Carbohydrate 9.2 g
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g Sugars 0.1 g Protein 0.8 g

Ingredients
6 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 chicken cutlets (3/4-1 pound total), trimmed
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 10-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
2 teaspoons butter
Directions
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse.

Meanwhile, whisk 5 teaspoons flour and broth in a small bowl until smooth. Place the remaining flour in a shallow dish. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and dredge both sides in the flour. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; keep warm.

Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add garlic and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture, lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.

Stir in parsley, capers, butter and the reserved mushrooms. Measure out 1/2 cup of the mushroom sauce. Toss the pasta in the pan with the remaining sauce. Serve the pasta topped with the chicken and the reserved sauce.

I use parchment paper for my fish and throw in whatever kind of vegi's thinly sliced or julienned...alittle olive oil and other spices or herbs.. or ginger and soy. Wrap it up..bake at 375 for about 15 minutes or so.

Salmon and asparagus - seriously the best.
Just put your salmon in the oven at 175C (350F) for like 20 minutes or until it's cooked enough with a little sea salt on top. Serve with boiled asparagus.

Other than that, I love a good caesar salad (without dressing) and mushroom soup with asparagus in it.

There are loads of healthy alternatives to everything. Just try to eat "natural" stuff (cook it yourself) and drink water to everything. And if you want something for dessert, try (dark) chocolate covered strawberries (so full of antioxidants!)

back when I was dieting, I used to eat korean tofu house (soon tofu) all the time - the korean tofu soup is SO GOOD - not "good considering it's diet food," actually good enough to have cravings for it . . . so the fact that it's pretty low cal and VERY filling/satisfying is fantastic . . . i always left feeling stuffed, content in the knowledge that I really hadn't consumed many calories at all (^(oo)^)

I'm a serious soup lover and would eat it every day if practical/available...this sounds so yum and I'll have to make a point of trying the Soon Tofu soup sometime really soon, lol...thanks for the tip!

I do a noodle soup with chicken or fish and replace the noodles with Vermicelli (Mung Bean threads), they are usually half the calories of regular noodles and pretty filling.

i decided to go on a diet for the first time in my life 2 weeks ago.(i joined ww online) ive been looking for chicken recipes... Ive been making lemon pepper chicken and either adding it with whole grain pasta with a little parmesan or into a salad(i get a mixed green bag of salad, tomatoes, broccoli, cucumbers, low fat shredded cheese, and fat free italian dressing, yum!!). ive made chicken parmesan a few times which tasted good in the salad i had been making as well. i use ritz crackers, parsley, salt and pepper..