What do you live without so that you can fund your addiction?

heatherB

I no longer live for luxe, but it is pretty fun!
O.G.
May 30, 2010
We will probably have some fun with this thread; but in all reality, I'm interested because I'm trying to be more financially responsible. I won't give up CLs, but I will think about other things I can give up so I feel less guilty.

So, where do you ladies cut corners to have more money for CLs?

Let's see...I work from home so I don't have to pay 5 dollars a day for my commute. I rarely go to local concerts or clubs, and go out for drinks about once a month or less. I don't smoke either -phew - that can be expensive these days! I eat at home most of the time instead of going out. I sell clothes and shoes and stuff I don't use on fleabay from time to time, and I work lots of OT when its available too!

I haven't bought a bag in months, I used to only buy LV and now that I've been buying CLs I haven't had money for LV. I did buy 2 pair of sunglasses in the past 6 months and the DBF bought me a bag, but I didn't fund any bags myself. I've also given up buying pretty much anything else expensive ie an ipad that I've been eyeing for a while now. I still go out to eat very often and spend money elsewhere, just not on fashion items other than CLs.

i don't know that i give up anything per se, but i'm pretty frugal (outside of shoes obviously). my car is very modest, we have $10/mo basic cable, etc. but for the most part i try to balance things out. if there is a pair i want and it seems a bit unreasonable at the moment, i will sell other shoes/clothes so i can make it happen and really think about which item i "need".

I don't like coffee, so I've never had a Starbucks coffee/latte/frappamacchino in my life. I know plenty of my classmates in university who used to drink two a day. At 8 bucks apiece, that makes nearly $6000 a year (i.e. *lots* of CL's!) And I don't even have to give up anything I like!
(P.S. That's what I usually reply if I get asked how I can justify spending so much money on a pair of shoes.)

I don't feel I sacrifice anything, but I am really careful with money. I've never bought CLs retail, only on eBay, and I've been so lucky hunting down bargains that I've never paid more than £100 for a pair, all authenticated right here and some of them even BNIB!

Absolutely nothing. I don't believe in giving up items in order to attain others.

I don't deprive myself of anything in order to afford luxury items, per se, but there are certain things that I *choose* to live without, not that I "give up."

I don't give up anything. If I really want something I set my heart on it and I save up for it and get it. We still go out to movies, dinner and of course the soccer games. It just takes me longer to get the shoes as I have to save and move money around to be able to get them.

FOOD! LOL... all joking aside, I tend to give up going out nowadays. My DBF and I just stay in and cook, which is a nice change for us. In regards to buying CLs, I usually buy them second hand, at consignment stores, or during the sale season. Also, I'm open to selling some of my CLs that I don't wear very often to fund for new ones.

not sure I give up much really as now I have 2 children I dont go out very often so instead of spending the money on going out I fund my shoe habit (and spoil the children too!!)

I give up my sanity. :lol: I'm not so sure I give up anything (even though I should), but lately, I have been only buying for love, not for sale... and letting go of pairs I don't wear in exchange for shoes that am head over heels for.

I posted in the other thread linked by crazzee (BTW, from the old thread: kett.....I think I need to move to Utah! SoCal has NOT been nursing-friendly for me!)

We have given up restaurants (with rare exception) and do all of our drinking at home. Coffee and liquor out? No thanks. I can buy soooooo many CLs with that cash!!!!!! :P

Plus, this is my only expensive habit. I do not buy designer cothes or handbags. I am okay ;).

all my fun money has been going to CLs...I'm trying to go back to finding that balance.

BTW: http://forum.purseblog.com/christian-louboutin-shoes/what-do-would-you-give-up-your-cls-572795.html

Sorry I didn't catch this....

Like a lot of you, I definitely feel like I spend a lot (ok, all) of my fun/entertainment budget CLs and a select few other designer items. Then I feel like I have to stay in all the time and no one gets to see my shoes :tdown:
I would wear them just to the mall, but know I can't go to the mall without finding temptation. It's truly an addiction.