Prada Totes - Pebbled Calf leather or Cervo better for daily use?

happy.epi

O.G.
Mar 25, 2010
Hi Ladies, could you give your opinions on these 2 shoulder bags pls?

Pebbled Calf Leather Tote:
http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...282574492817607&bmUID=1279082284792&ev19=1:39

Cervo Tote:
http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...282574492709503&bmUID=1279082284752&ev19=1:24

I think the Cervo tote is prettier but it costs $1000 more. Which of these 2 bags will make a better daily "workhorse"? I remember touching pebbled calf leather before and found it just a little tough and rough. Would the leather soften and become more smooshy after some use?

On the other hand, I've heard that Cervo leather in general is not easy to maintain, is it true? Also, since cervo is softer and the handles are kind of wide, do you think the bag will "collapse" to the centre when carried? Thanks so much in advance! :biggrin:

The Pebbled Calf is quite smooshy IRL, and I actually really loved that bag in grey when I saw it, but I am a SUCKER for grey bags! This is a very comfy- great bag, and if cost is an issue, I would go for it.

Now, having said that, I LOVE Cervo leather, and think it is very durable. It is the Antik finishes that are tougher to maintain, but I also love the Antik finish as well:smile: Both bags would be extremely durable.

Yes, the center of the Cervo may collapse in the center- but that is what you get with an un-structured bag. May want to consider a purse organizer if that is an issue.

I like both...but get the pebbled to save some cash...

Actually, both bags are deerskin. The handles on the Saks one are calfskin, but both bags are deerskin.

On a personal note: There's NO FREAKING WAY I'd pay over $2400 for a deerskin Prada tote. Sheesh. That's ridiculous!!! :wtf:

I really like the cervo one but its 1k more expensive than the pebbled leather... and they both look almost the same except for the finish.. If you have money for it I'd say go for the cervo, but if you're cheap, get the, well, cheaper one :P

I wonder why there's such a huge difference in price since both are deerskin? I know calf is usually cheaper n more durable imo but deerskin is nicer to touch n more beautiful.

I want a deerskin from this season and it cost over $2200 :sad: it's nuts.

Thanks for all your opinions! :biggrin: I saw both bags IRL today and the Cervo tote is humongous! It is actually taller than in the Saks picture. Size-wise, the pebbled leather tote suits me better and surprisingly, it really does feel quite smooshy. I just have a couple more questions:

• The grey leather is really pretty but compared to the brown, will it be more prone to color transfer (from jeans etc) or staining and require more care during use?

• When worn on the shoulders, will the part of the leather that is always in contact with the hip be worn out quickly if used on a daily basis?

• In terms of workmanship, how do you think Prada compares with the other designer brands e.g. LV? I love the feel of the Prada leather but I do wish Prada's glazing and handle structure could have been done with more care.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I have the pebbled deerskin leather tote in black, which I have used for work and traveling.
So far, all my Prada pebbled deerskins (I have quite a few, but who's counting?) have withstood being taken to work and on business trips, as have my Prada nylon totes.
I prefer carrying a gorgeous, roomy Prada tote to a manly briefcase! BTW, I am 5 feet tall (when not wearing heels), and I love huge Prada totes.
I cannot speak to LV, since I don't own any LVs. However, if you are a diehard LV fan, you might be happier with an LV leather bag.

:heart:
PS
For any Prada newbie who might be reading this: Prada leathers I would never again buy are Luxes, Antiks and/or Metallics.

I have owned both LV and Prada although I have sold all of my LV in the last few weeks- I have to say I prefer Prada in terms of the leather if comparing it to the Monogrammed canvas bags.
The pebbled leather is a good option for an everyday bag.

Hello Lovecatslots Why not antiks? I am intrigued and slightly worried. I have just ordered a deerskin antik hobo (waiting for it to arrive) and i am now concerned the the leather wont stand use and time.
Happy-epi LOVE the pebble absolutly gorgeous.

Hi,
I bought the cervo tote you're considering but in ivory (neimanmarcus.com) and just received it yesterday. I already damaged it by trying to remove denim dye that transferred onto the backside. Anyways, I agree it is larger in person than what you see in the picture, so I've decided to use it as a diaper bag. I find the leather super delicate and high maintenance, but I guess it's just me being so used to LV suhali leather that takes a good beating.