Mojave Scarf

Good luck to those who ordered this scarf. I am really interested in what HH's response will be.

I don't know where else to post this...and I guess it doesn't really matter... Anyway, was it last month when I posted the pic of my much loved, but busted up PL ramone? At the same time, I emailed Toni directly w/ the picture. I was very upfront in the email that I just wanted her to see how much I loved the ramone. I kept it short, and the mood light. I thanked her for such an incredible design. I thought it was mildly interesting, and thought that perhaps she would enjoy this positive story in what has been a stressful season for them. I asked for nothing, and expected nothing to be 'done'. But I didn't even get a 'dear john' generic HH response. I mostly sent it b/c Toni has previously interacted w/ us a bit, when approached in this way. I'm just left wondering if anyone even read the email. :shrugs: I think I even titled it...something Ramone...Love...something or other. I know she has been traveling this summer...and I'm not upset, just feeling um, awkward? :wondering My bad.

Sorry for the rambling post. And sorry if this isn't the best thread for it. I guess in general, I'm wondering if things have gotten so bad that its taking some of the 'love' out of Toni's dealings w/ HH. Is HH even listening?

I get the feeling they can't be bothered. You send a fan letter, and you get nothing in response. It's just plain rude.

Here's my motto...if you're not to busy to take pictures of the dog then you're not to busy to acknowledge a note.

No answer for me at CS today...I'll try again in a bit.

Maybe the best tactic is to post a pictures on FB and a review of the Mojave on the item page.

It's back on the HH pages at $110, so maybe they've gotten some returns. I think some of us might be hesitant to start washing and shrinking in case it ruins the fabric or fringe...you can't return or try to sell at that point.

Did you not order the scarf because you thought it was too small at 6 x 60? 12 x 80 is very large for a fabric that doesn't drape well.

Maybe you have no experience with pure linen. Washing cannot "ruin" it. It is a natural fabric that requires gentleness like silk. The fabric and especially the fringe need to be smoothed while air drying but that's really all. No different than any other fine scarf. The drape should be excellent , with the lovely natural body of linen. This length could take a few loops around the neck and shoulders to hang to a desirable end. Lulu is the the Queen of scarves and can offer us her techniques.
* Right. A 6" wide scarf is pretty useless. If a scarf is not functional head covering, I don't want or need it.

i'm beginning to think that this scarf is either a linen blend or has been treated. the only linen that i've seen that's scratchy is a poor cotton/linen blend. (and boy, was it scratchy!)

i hope y'all and hh find a suitable resolution. it's a gorgy scarf. i was really bummed not to get it.

Maybe you have no experience with pure linen. Washing cannot "ruin" it. It is a natural fabric that requires gentleness like silk. The fabric and especially the fringe need to be smoothed while air drying but that's really all. No different than any other fine scarf. The drape should be excellent , with the lovely natural body of linen. This length could take a few loops around the neck and shoulders to hang to a desirable end. Lulu is the the Queen of scarves and can offer us her techniques.
* Right. A 6" wide scarf is pretty useless. If a scarf is not functional head covering, I don't want or need it.

Stormy, I have no linen experience at all. I just got a steam washer and dryer, do you think that hitting it with hot steam would shrink it up and soften it without subjecting it to tumbling around in the wash? I only paid $22 and had already seen it described as "interesting" before I bought it. I figured for $22 I'd give it a shot, so I'm open to experimenting.

I bet it would be super easy to render the scarf into a handbag, with fringe hanging down. Someone with sewing skillz pleeease do this for the laughs! I would if I had bought one for $22 and it was non-returnable. :biggrin:

I think there's probably all kinds of great creative things we can do. It might be kind of fun to see what everyone comes up with. A purse seems like a great idea, I wish I knew how to sew.

Stormy, I have no linen experience at all. I just got a steam washer and dryer, do you think that hitting it with hot steam would shrink it up and soften it without subjecting it to tumbling around in the wash? I only paid $22 and had already seen it described as "interesting" before I bought it. I figured for $22 I'd give it a shot, so I'm open to experimenting.

I want those ! I'd be playing with them all day to see what they can do.
I'd say OK go for it, it should shrink a little, but it's the tumbling and handling of new linen that softens. I wonder about the blue color fastness and would expect some fade. Test first to make sure the blue won't run and tint the white parts. If it was dyed like the Langley Canvas Chevron, it should NOT color run (it's a tote in the rain !) but here goes the safe side recommendation for the linen scarf:
hh says "
Spot clean or professional dry clean-only"
Cool machine wash and tumble dry low is normal linen care, Wonder what's up with this because hh does claim 100% Linen

Here is the rub. If they have used some funky paint to make chevron pattern on one side that may be destroyed by normal linen washing we are thusly screwed. GOOD linen has a woven pattern ! Seen and wearable on both sides. God bless him, Ben always says 'spot clean' even when an item is totally safely machine washable. Face it, it's not his thing and the cop out covers his buttafuco. Now, "Dry Clean Only" has inherent problems, too, as illustrated by Toni's OWN metallic leather trimmed dress that went to its ruin at the dry cleaners. Point is, Dry cleaning is NOT a best option, and for people who are sensitive to the %$#&*^%@(!!! chemicals used in dry cleaning, it is downright dangerous to their health.
The very best we can all do is use the newfangled steam machines !!!
This saves allergies, the environment, cash money, the ozone layer, global warming, fabric life, asthmatic kiddies......& more !

SO, if B&T are really "friends of AL", would they force us to use Chemical dry cleaners for their apparel ????????

This thread has spawned a great many questions.
Are the chevrons Painted on ? Indigo dyed ?

What a great mystery !

Maybe Blammy is correct, that the canvas was mistakenly used to manufacture these "linen" scarves.* Canvas itself can be made of Linen Fiber, hemp, or cotton or blended with synthetics, and even coated. Surely the stock photos show vastly different textures between the two fabrics.
Can someone post close-ups of the scarf texture and IRL drape ?

I love linen passionately - and agree with Stormy - it is the washing and tumbling that makes it softer and softer - it will feel like silk when washed and handled. I even knit with 100% linen (Mouet Euroflax linen is ahmazing). It is scratchy to knit with - some knitters even tie the skein up and launder it before knitting with it to make it softer. I don't mind knitting with it and love how it turns out.

However - if it is a linen blend or has painted on dye then we are talking about a diff process entirely. I'm curious if the exact same material is what was used for the chevron langley.

Oops - typed it wrong - it is Louet euroflax.

http://www.louet.com/yarns/euroflax.shtml

AS for remaking it, I'd make it a crossbody messenger by folding the ends up, leaving fringe as flap like @ or an un. Sew the sides up, add nylon zipper on top of pouch maybe. Do this on both ends, saddle bag fashion, and add velcro strips to hold both pouch backs together. Viola ! A Hottie bandolier !

If you still have too much length, take a tuck center front, sew up sides and velcro shut for cell phone or ipod.

I don't actually have mine yet. When it arrives and I have my laundry installed I can start experimenting and report back. I have hot and cold steam and I don't know what else. I haven't played with the laundry machines yet, I bought them a while back, but am waiting for work on the house to be done in the next 2 weeks to have them delivered. The laundry is probably the one thing about the new house that I'm the most anxious about. I didn't want the washer and dryer delivered while messy construction was going on because I was worried the crews would mess them up and I'd cry.

Anyway, I'm up for experimenting. I only bought it because it was $22 and I thought it might be good for holding my hair back in the convertible.