Lesson Learned

Lady Stardust

Je m'en foutiste
O.G.
Nov 28, 2009
I am so happy right now I had to make a thread lol. I got a new pair of flats least year to replace a pair I lost in Rome and they were really cute and nice and not cheap etc but they hurt...BAD. So I figured well maybe they just need to be broken in. I wore them quite a lot but every time I wore them they hurt me and I don't just mean hurt I mean they left me bleeding in at least 4 different parts of my foot hurt. This is every single time I wore them mind you. Ok so fast forward a year, I'm walking around Paris last week and I did walk a little too much but like an idiot I wore those stupid flats and I cut my foot up so badly that now, a few days later, my foot is swollen so much to the point that any pressure on it (even just standing) is excruciating but it's getting better slowly. So obviously as you can guess, my mission became to find new flats! (I don't have any other girly/nicer shoes with me just flat boots and I can't wear those with super girly skirts it just doesn't work) so anyway I found a pair today! I spent more than I wanted to but honestly at this point, whatever I was just like "FLATS!!!!" lol they're sooooo comfy and don't leave me with cuts. So ladies if you have a pair of shoes that you think oh they'll break in...but a lot of time passes and they still haven't gotten more comfy- get rid of them. They aren't going to ever break in. Learn from my mistake please! lol just wanted to share my revelation :smile:

For some reason a couple of my pairs of Marc Jacobs flats popped into my mind immediately whilst reading your post - they have savage rubbing exactly the same as you described. Maybe your post will finally give me the courage to let them go!

For some reason a couple of my pairs of Marc Jacobs flats popped into my mind immediately whilst reading your post - they have savage rubbing exactly the same as you described. Maybe your post will finally give me the courage to let them go!

I'm still hanging onto those MBMJ Heart flats that ripped me to pieces when I worn them the first time (only wore them once again after that)... they're just too pretty to let go. I completely agree OP, do your research before you buy ladies! :smile:

What are the new, comfy flats you bought??
Here's a picture, they're Bloch (I never heard of that brand though lol) but they are really really comfy I just did a lot of walking in them today and they are fantastic. The only thing is I would have preferred black but I kinda really like them in silver too they're different :smile: This is also the swollen foot so please excuse that! lol

woody, I was looking at some Marc Jacobs ones today! Omg good thing I didn't get those! There was one pair I saw that was little mouse shoes (like the tips had a little mouse face and whiskers) they were ADORABLE but I needed just a basic pair. Ugh that would have been awful, to get rid of the torturous flats only to buy more lol. Now what to do with the killer flats...I really want to beat them with a stick just to make myself feel better! lol. And they also were really noisy like they were flats but they were quite solid and had this tiny bit of a heel (but somehow still a flat it's hard to explain) and everywhere I walked it made that heel clop clop sound and like maybe it's just me but I don't like making noise when I wear flats they're supposed to be more casual you know?

I just stumbled into this thread and I am SO happy I did. Bloch is a brand that is famous for its ballet shoes (I have countless numbers of their pointe shoes and soft soles) but I had NO IDEA that they made pedestrian ballet flats as well!

Last week I was in the same position you were in and I ended up getting a pair or Kenneth Cole Gentle Sole flats (which are also ridiculously comfy) but now I wish I had waited to get some Blochs. Oh well, now I know!

The Bloch flats are really nice and comfortable. I having been wearing mine for a month now, practically everyday.
Another brand you may want to try is called Born, I bought a pair of loafers from them about a year ago and I walked all over NYC when we were there for a weekend trip. They were quite comfortable too. Try the JJill.com website they have a pretty good selection of comfortable pretty flats too.

So funny that everyone is having their own flashbacks reading this thread...I too learned this lesson the hard way. I bought a pair of gorgeous black Sigerson Morrison flats that cut horribly into my feet after only a few blocks of walking. I have scars! But I'd spent so much on them and loved the design so much that I was dead set on getting my wear out of them. I was only punishing myself, how silly in retrospect! I'll never buy Sigerson Morrison again, they are just too narrow for my feet.

You made a fabulous choice - Bloch flats are fantastically comfortable and sooo cute. I also highly recommend Tapeet by Vicini.

I have done this more times than I care to remember! I always think shoes will break in and either a) they DON'T or b) I can't take the pain and I give up! There are a few pairs in my closet that are so cute I can't bring myself to get rid of them but I can barely wear them to go out to dinner. One brand that always works for me is Repetto- if you are in Paris, you're in luck because that's the best place to find them. Any of the major department stores will have them, or there are a couple of Repetto boutiques on the Rue de la Paix (8e) or the Rue du Four (5/6 I think). They are made of such soft leather, they never rub me blisters. They also make heeled styles which are cute and seem like they would be comfy too.