Durability of Chevre Mysore vs Ostrich for Wallet?

ShyShy

O.G.
Nov 13, 2007
I am contemplating on a kelly long wallet. I have an opportunity to get either a tangerine ostrich or orange chevre mysore and was wondering which leather would be more hardy? I have read that ostrich darkens over time and the colors won't be as nice as they use to be. I don't particularly love or hate ostrich, I just wondered whether it is a more durable leather for a wallet.

On another note, I fell in love with four tails' pink chevre KLW but when I went to the store the pink seemed a little bright but washed out (can't describe it properly)? They did not have the pink wallet in the store, I actually saw the pink on a PHW jypsiere (I think it was swift or some other smooth leather, I did not take a good look). Could it be that it was because the pink was on a smooth leather and on a large surface that I felt it was too bright? I do love small leather goods with a pop of color, but I am unsure of this pink now. Does anyone else here have a pink KLW that can share a pic here? If I do choose pink, I wonder whether gold HW would make the pink look a little warmer (hopefully it makes sense)? :thinking: Here is a pic of four tails wallet with PHW, I hope she does not mind...

Would really appreciate your inputs, ladies and gents! Thanks!

Judging from the way my ostrich Birkin handles have darkened from even infrequent use, I would say that ostrich in a light colour would not be a good choice for an item that would be handled frequently.

Chevre, on the other hand, is very hardy. I have a Bearn Reverso wallet in chevre that I've used daily for over 2 years now, and it still looks great!

I have found that Chevre loses color in the small accessories. This may be partly because they get handled so much. My Chevre Azap has lost quite a bit of color. My Chevre Karo and glasses case have fared better than the wallet.

I use my wallet every day but change bags frequently.

Ok... sounds like both leathers lose a bit of color then... if that's the case I'll stick to a chevre and see how I go. If I like it, I can always go for an exotic one later... which leads me to my next question.... chevre pink or orange then?

I know the orange with GHW is a classic, but I am craving something pink... what do you think of the new pink? With PHW or GHW? Please help! :flowers:

IMO, chevre mysore holds very well. It is my absolute favorite skin! I have not seen loss of colors in any of my chevre, but then, the oldest is about 2 years. Chevre looks wonderful in bright colors, ie. turquoise, violet, rose shocking, vert anis, orange, etc. Perhaps you can pick orange with ghw for your wallet, and pink for something smaller?

Ok... sounds like both leathers lose a bit of color then... if that's the case I'll stick to a chevre and see how I go. If I like it, I can always go for an exotic one later... which leads me to my next question.... chevre pink or orange then?

I know the orange with GHW is a classic, but I am craving something pink... what do you think of the new pink? With PHW or GHW? Please help! :flowers:

IMO, Pink is a cool colour and looks better in PHW.

Thanks thimp and mrssparkles! I am really unsure of the pink, I love it in pics here but my heart did not thump when I saw it in the store.... gotta go see it again this weekend....

Well, I've had both and let go of my Ostrich and kept my Chevre because the Chevre seemed to be more durable. The little "nipples" kept popping up.....

Well, I've had both and let go of my Ostrich and kept my Chevre because the Chevre seemed to be more durable. The little "nipples" kept popping up.....

My ostrich wallet wasn't H - but I found that same thing. I would definitely say that chevre is more durable.

Also, both orange AND pink are pretty - I prefer them both with PHW. Especially wouldn't get GHW with the pink.

From what I hear and read, ostrich will darken very easily. Not recommended for something you will use everyday, more than once a day.

Chevre is wonderful for everyday use. It will get softer and smoother over time, so it's really like holding a piece of butter in your hand. Wonderful feeling.

Plus, if you are looking for pink, pink chevre is very lovely. It's a light pale color, not bright like rose shocking.

I have a Kelly Long Wallet in Orange Chevre (PHW), and I've used it regularly without any ill effects. I haven't seen much Chev in pink, but I have no doubt it's lovely, too, though perhaps not as easy to keep clean as the orange.

I was admiring this beautiful pink ostrich bag a while ago (not hermes), my husband just couldn't help himself but to interrupt and say it looked like a nipple bag! :weird::amazed::faint::lol:

Thanks irishlass1029, pyrexia, jennabschwartz & anez! I am slowly swaying back to the pink now, need the store to show me some gold and palladium hardware next to it to decide I think....

Here is a picture of hanyeu's latest purchase ........Pink Chevre Kelly Long Wallet............ and also in the picture is KaLindy's Pink Epsom Constance Wallet

attachment.php