pawn shop finds - photos of your pawn shop treasures

Have you posted your earrings yet, onegirlcreative?

I'd love to see them!!!

i actually went ahead and took them off layaway. i ended up changing my mind. so for now, since i have been unemployed, i haven't been going to any pawn shops—it's too tempting. i'm trying to be as frugal as possible. but i promise, when i do start going again, i will post my finds for you all.

Where do you live? I'm in Boulder!!! :biggrin:

sorry, i haven't been back to this thread in a while, otherwise i would have responded right away.

i live in fort collins. GO RAMS!!! ;)

Sooner or later we will all die, won't we. All antique jewelry, both also paintings, older houses and furniture have belonged to 'dead people'. But if it makes you uncomfortable, you can choose for new stuff only.

:goodpost: and very true!

this is my five stone diamond ring. I am sorry the photo is not too clear. I bought in a nearby pawnshop for $500 last December. I just got it appraised. $2300, 950 platinum, .50 total weight, 5 princess cut diamonds, H color VS1 clarity.

I also got a 2 carat total weight diamond bracelet for $225 which appraised for $2000 and I bought a ring with a heart diamond for $250 and took the diamond out and made a pendant with it. that diamond is not a great quality, I'm sure, but the pendant looks great (and where can you get a .70 carat solitaire diamond necklace in WG for $350--which it what I paid, including the price of getting it reset.

wow black jade, your ring is gorgy!!! :drool: you got an excellent deal. thank you so much for posting. i am so happy to see this thread has continued with more comments and pics. keep 'em coming, ladies!

In my view, pawn shopping means:
a) you save money and are being financially responsible
b) you are helping to save the earth--as it is recycling on a grand scale. Instead of mining for more diamonds/gold ones that are already mined are getting reused, which is a good thing. If anyone annoys you about a 'blood diamond', you can tell them that yours is actually re-cycled.
c) It' s ideal as a source for custom jewelry. If you find a good jeweller who remakes pieces and you know a good pawn shop, you are set. A lot of the jewelry in pawn shops is there because its not the latest style. There's a lot of yellow gold there right now and lot of marquise diamonds. If you think of the pieces as raw material to take apart and make new things, you can REALLY get deals. I'm thinking, for instance, of buying one of those old five stone rings, the ones with five marquise diamonds (they are really cheap in pawn shops) and making another pendant, using the five marquise diamonds as petals and putting a little round in the center. Or you could make an eternity ring with the marquise stones bezel set going all around, and little round in between.

and I happen to like yellow gold anyway.

d) It's also a good source for antiques. My pawn shop has a whole case full of little OEC diamonds because people around here haven't realized yet that they are back in style and are still giving away what grandma left them.
As a matter of fact, I keep hearing that yellow gold is back, too.

(smile)

EXACTLY!!!

when I was young, you used to see the big marquise rings on the older wealthy ladies--I know they are out of style now but for some reason a ring like that still says to me, ''arrived". Silly, I know, but there it is.

LOL. You summed it up.

The shape of them suits my hand, also, better than many other styles. There's nothing like a marquise for elongating your fingers visually. I find that the square cuts in style for the past 9 or 10 years (princess, asscher) make my fingers look stubby, and also that the curves of a marquise are graceful looking.

i agree completely. even though i have never been a fan of the marquise shape, i still think it's classic and beautiful. i also like my pear shape (my mom's e-ring that she gave me last year) for that same reason—the point of the pear elongates my fingers. my original e-ring is a emerald cut, and even though it's gorgeous, i still prefer the pear.

We found a couple gorgeous rings while we were searching. Unfortunately they were out of our budget at the time but they sure were pretty.

you know what, you should have made an offer. just because the price on the price tag is there, doesn't mean it's firm. that's another huge advantage of buying your jewelry at pawn shops—you get to make an offer, and you'd be surprised how they'll be willing to accept it especially if that particular ring has been sitting in that case for a while. they just want to get rid of them. i think they sometimes overprice their jewelry knowing people will always make an offer.

Well, I guess this is where these pics belong! LOL!

My 1.02 ct emerald cut diamond wedding set. Paid $1500, worth a heck of a lot more! LOL!

Not sure how much those little tiny stones weigh. But the center stone is 1.02 cts.

I'm in loooooove!!

Jen

wow jen! gorgeous! i love this set. looks beautiful on your hands, too. gratz!

Here is the pics of my hoops

IMG_0073-2.jpg

IMG_5249-2.jpg

wow. these are just stunning, baglady. those are the type of earrings i am also in the market for, but unfortunately they're never at the pawn shops where i go. maybe when i get a job i'll get lucky.

Here are the pics of the citrine solitaire and half eternity.

Citrine Solitaire for $60. Yea! It's my birthstone. It's size 7, i have to resize down to 4.75.

2010-06-0610-58-10_resize.jpg

Here is the 14kt WG half eternity that bought for my sister, size 7.5. Inside the ring there is no label 14kt. Should I be concern?
2010-06-0610-59-41_resize.jpg

2010-06-0611-00-53_resize.jpg

2010-06-0611-01-48_resize.jpg

:drool:

onegirlcreative: No worries!! I'm in Boulder but my little sis lives in The Fort. She goes to CSU. Headed up there for the holiday weekend!! :yahoo:

how fun!!! we're going to a 4th of july party at the lake, and that's pretty much it. pretty low key, which is how i like it. we may take my daughter to the fireworks display at city park, but that'll be as we wind down for the evening.

btw, i used to commute to boulder for work for a year. i love that city. small world.

how fun!!! we're going to a 4th of july party at the lake, and that's pretty much it. pretty low key, which is how i like it. we may take my daughter to the fireworks display at city park, but that'll be as we wind down for the evening.

btw, i used to commute to boulder for work for a year. i love that city. small world.

Totally!! Have a fun weekend!! :biggrin:

Baglady your jewelry is gorgeous! I live in the north end of Seattle by the Highlands/145th and Greenwood area so there are plenty of pawn shops around. You definitely are inspiring me to get out there and do some searching!

I haven't found any good ones yet. I went to one in Longmont as well, but while I was there a couple came in looking for a gun that was stolen from them and found it!! Yikes. If I find a good one in our area, I will for sure post it here. I love treasure hunting. :smile:

Look forward to seeing!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on my 5-stone.

I am not searching pawn shops right now because I have a ring on layaway, a beautiful marquise and I am trying not to see other things I like until I pay that off. I don't want to post photos until I pay it off either! It seems like I shouldn't put it up until it's actually on my finger. I won't be done paying until early next year! And of course lots could happen between then and now--there's many a slip between cup and lip, as the old people used to say!

Me and my mom went shopping about a month ago. She got a beautiful gold bracelet for $300. She also got diamond rings for herself and my niece, $70 apiece. They were beautiful rings, the old cut diamonds were only 15 pointers but they were in illusion settings that made them look much bigger and the rings were beautifully made. I'd say WWII era. I couldn't find anything similar selling on the web for less than $500.

Unfortunately I didn't take photos and my mom lives quite far away.

She has me looking out for a tennis bracelet for her now.

I do always go to the same shop where I am sure they do not 'fence' (accept stolen goods).

bye for now.