Louis Vuitton Neverfull (Mono or Damier Ebene) OR Burberry tote??

Jun 23, 2010
Hi Everyone!
I'm new to tpf, so, I hope I'm doing this correctly! I've been trying to decide for weeks now between two bags: the Louis Vuitton Neverfull (MM or GM) or a Burberry haymarket check tote (http://us.burberry.com/product/inde...&cp=2119866.3701089.2072953&parentPage=family). I want the bag for everyday use. I'm a grad student but am done with classes so I don't have to be hauling around a whole lot of books all the time (and thus don't want something that looks "bookbag-y), yet still need to be able to fit in the laptop when needed. I want something beautiful, enduring, and identifiable as a good brand, but I think I'm having a hard time with this because I usually want my bags to be interesting too, something not EVERYONE has (which is why in the past my purse choices have been slightly off the beaten path-- I do have a burberry manor, for instance, but it's gold leather). I feel like everyone's got a neverfull but maybe there's a reason why they're choosing this instead of a burberry that seems similar, and maybe everyone OUGHT to have a neverfull? I need some pros, cons, and opinions from people who know! I also toyed with the idea of a Rebecca Minkoff large morning after bag in wine.. See? I desperately need some guidance! Thanks so much (and sorry this is so long)!!

Well, yes, everyone does have a neverfull, but if you wanted your to be "unique" then i would personalize it. There is a thread form a few days ago where this lady posted some AMAZING pics of two bags in monogram that sh ehad personalized. You should check it out. However, if you want a neverfull that is not as common and that has not been personalized I would get it in damier ebene. Personally, I really like it even though i am not the biggest fan of damier ebene ;) And as for the burberry purse I dont think it is worth the money...I would much rather get a neverfull...but thats just my opinion! I hope it helps! :smile:

I like LV and Burberry. Normally I would say go for the LV, but I personally am not a NF fan. I had one and returned it because the straps were irritating me. I hadn't even used it yet (just carried around the house). So in this case I would go for the Burberry. Or if you want LV I would reccomend the batignolles horizontal, galliera, or delightful.

However at the end of the day you have to love it. Go with what your heart says.

You're in the LV forum! Of course we'd say LV! :P That being said, I can't wear NFs. The straps dig into my shoulders too much and the wide-open top bugs me. I don't like that I can't close the top (the clasp doesn't really do much for me) so I have to opt for other LVs. I love how they look, though.

Thanks so much for all the input, I look forward to the rest that comes my way! Is there a way to post not in a particular brand forum? This has been really helpful, esp to hear what people who have experience with the neverfull say! I'm usually a leather girl myself, and I think it's making the decision harder on me. I want to stay in the 800 or lower price range for now but want a great bag and that seems to mean if it's a great brand, it's gonna be coated canvas, not leather! Since I'm in the LV forum I guess to pit the Rebecca Minkoff against the neverfull would be no contest? LV's SO iconic that they've transcended my feelings on canvas vs. leather, yet, the LV is only 100 more expensive than the Minkoff!

I'm not sure there is a place you can put that question besides just the General Discussion area. I was just kidding with you anyway! But, we all are probably a little biased in here towards LV.

I don't see why you have to get coated canvas if you want a great bag by a great brand. There are tons of brands out there that make great leather bags, just LV and Burberry seem to make more coated canvas bags. What size, shape, and style are you looking for in general?

Hi Meggyg8r, Thanks so much for the input, the reason why it looks to me like I'll have to do coated canvas is because I'm trying not to spend more than 700-800 on the bag. I LOVE satchels and totes (satchels a little more- love rolled leather handles!). It's gotta be big enough to fit my 13" macbook and a book if needed. I want something that looks luxe (I don't care if the layman can tell WHAT designer it is, as long as it's beautiful, they'll want to know what it is). I don't want anymore coach, I have several great Coach pieces and want to branch out and do something more high-end, but not trendy, it's gotta have staying power. What can you suggest for me? And what do you think of Rebecca Minkoff (MAB specifically), is she going to stick around or is she a trend? Thanks so much!!!

Thank you for the explanation! I see where you are coming from now and have a better idea of what you are looking for.

I like Rebecca Minkoff--I do think she is going to stick around. Her MAB bag sounds just like what you are looking for as well, and a bit cheaper. I would also suggest looking into Botkier, Marc Jacobs (or MARC by Marc Jacobs--much more affordable), Kooba, possibly Gucci (will probably be too expensive but worth looking into), Juicy Couture comes out with nice leather bags sometimes.. that's what I can think of now. I would have suggested Coach because they always have nice-looking leather bags out, but I know you don't want any more Coach!

Well, I am a fan of Burberry clothes...the pants, scarves, and coats but the bags are way too overpriced and flashy for me. Louis Vuitton will go with pretty much every outfit unless its MC so I would definitely vote for the NV Damier!! Good luck!!

I am not a fan of the NF (though I love the way it looks), but I would still recommend the NF over the Burberry in this case. I don't think the Burberry tote is worth that price. If you do end up getting the NF, get the damier ebene one. It still looks stunning, but I rarely see them around. At my campus, all of the NFs I see are mono (lots of fakes too), so the damier ebene will stand out, esp. if you add a cute scarf or keyfob.

If you are only carrying a laptop in the NF, the strap issue (straps digging into your shoulder) shouldn't be as much of a problem. I also like that the NF can change shape for different occasions- more open when you are fitting in your laptop and other big items, pinched when you are carrying smaller items.

There's also a girl who did an amazingly long and detailed review of the damier ebene Neverfull, and shows you the different ways that she wears it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvq2FUsQ5Tw

I'm not sure there is a place you can put that question besides just the General Discussion area. I was just kidding with you anyway! But, we all are probably a little biased in here towards LV.

I don't see why you have to get coated canvas if you want a great bag by a great brand. There are tons of brands out there that make great leather bags, just LV and Burberry seem to make more coated canvas bags. What size, shape, and style are you looking for in general?

Do you have a Ferragamo near you? About a year ago I stopped by and saw a really cute metallic leather tote there for about 700. The leather was really nice and supple and light weight. You may wanna check it out. I couldn't find it online but it maybe available in the store.

Good Luck!

Not a fan of the Burberry Haymarket Check Tote - I prefer the more classic print. Between the two, I think LV NF Damier ebene will give you better value in the long run. It's great for everyday use and is an elegant, classic style that has long staying power!