What to get for my 40th? An Evelyne or Massai?

louch

Jan 15, 2009
Hi Everyone

Well I am determined to join the Hermes Club but can't decide where to start :biggrin:! I have an ultimate HG which would be a 32cm Kelly bag BUT I want to wait until I am next overseas to buy that as I would like the in-store experience for that one. I also want to buy that brand spanking new.

So I want to start with something very casual as that fits my current lifestyle - young kids etc - and I've always been a jeans and sneakers gal anyway.

I had my heart set on an Evelyne - which I can buy online here in Australia for a ridiculous amount of money - but it is new, authentic and tax free. Or I can buy a Massai on-line, used but hopefully in good condition.

I really want :
1. A shoulder and/or messenger bag
2. Not HUGE - enough to carry wallet, keys, phone, maybe 2 nappies, some wipes and snacks
3. Something really simple and understated

AND I WANT IT NOW!!!! :nuts:

I can get a PM Evelyne in Bleu Abysse online or on the 'bay there are a couple of black/navy Massai's which I like (but have to be authenticated of course!)

Can I get some help/advice please? I keep thinking I have decided - it's so hard when I can't see these bags IRL - I live nowhere near an H store (like the other side of the country).

THANKS!!!!!! :flowers:

If the difference between new and used one from eBay is less than $1500, I'd personally get new. Not worth the worrying, the hassle, the risk, that 'used' feeling, and with new you get to experience the thrill going to the shop (even if you don't live nearby, drive!) and bringing home that lovely orange box.
I mean you don't buy Hermes bags every day, so make sure when you buy it, make it count!

I usually look on eBay for hard to get/discontinued item, or if it's sold for really really good price and still in great condition (but considering it's Hermes, what's the chance for that to happen?)
Even for new one, I'd much rather visit the shop and pick it up personally than going online.

Last edited:
Between the Massai and the Evelyne, I think the Massai is more understated as it does not have the "H" on either side of the bag. I do not own either bag so can't really comment on the functionality for your purpose although in a few months when my baby graduate to a toddler, I may have the same dilemma you have now :smile: Have you also considered the garden party tote?

Ann's Fabulous Finds (a seller on the reputable list) has a massai PM in black swift leather for US$2.2k. Please grab it so I can stop obsessing over it :smile:

If you need to carry nappies with you, then you're much better off with the Evelyne (as long as it's the II or III for the outside pocket). The Massai is really cool, and feels great on the body, but it can really hard to find your things due to the construction at the top of the bag. If you need to be able to reach and grab quickly, the Evelyne is the winner as far as that aspect goes.

When I had an Evelyne (which was adopted by an Aussie tPFer, by the way), I wore the H side so it was hidden.

If you need crossbody, you should think about the Evelyne III since the strap is adjustable. WIth the Massai, you can wear it crossbody with the longer strap provided you're not too tall.

So, in terms of cool, I think the Massai. In terms of lifestyle suitability as far as your wardrobe goes, it's a tie. But, the extra pocket on the Evelyne really makes life so much easier.

Can't wait to hear what you decide!

I have both the Evelyne III GM and a Massai in the smaller PM size and love them both. I have worn the Massai cross-body using the longer strap but would recommend getting it in the GM size if you plan on wearing it cross-body often. The adjustable canvas strap on the Evelyne can be tricky to configure so it lies comfortably on the shoulder if you are a relative "shorty" like myself, but there are awesome suggestions in the "Ode to Evelynes" thread on how to make it shorter without making permanent alterations to the fabric. (Credit to Orfeo Rouge H for his brilliant ideas.)

I use a Chameleon purse organizer in both (the large size with the cardboard bottom taken out) which makes finding things pretty easy. I like the convenience of the outer pocket and snap closure on the Evelyne, but I also like the fact that the Massai has a zippered top.

I bought both my Evelyne and Massai from resellers in mint condition at a fraction of the retail price which is why I was able to get both around the same time. :smile: I guess I'm not much help!

I look forward to seeing what you choose!

I have both the Evelyne III GM and a Massai in the smaller PM size and love them both. I have worn the Massai cross-body using the longer strap but would recommend getting it in the GM size if you plan on wearing it cross-body often. The adjustable canvas strap on the Evelyne can be tricky to configure so it lies comfortably on the shoulder if you are a relative "shorty" like myself, but there are awesome suggestions in the "Ode to Evelynes" thread on how to make it shorter without making permanent alterations to the fabric. (Credit to Orfeo Rouge H for his brilliant ideas.)

I use a Chameleon purse organizer in both (the large size with the cardboard bottom taken out) which makes finding things pretty easy. I like the convenience of the outer pocket and snap closure on the Evelyne, but I also like the fact that the Massai has a zippered top.

I bought both my Evelyne and Massai from resellers in mint condition at a fraction of the retail price which is why I was able to get both around the same time. :smile: I guess I'm not much help!

I look forward to seeing what you choose!

My answer is GETTING BOTH BAGS!!! you are only 40 once :graucho:

But If I need to get just one bag... Evelyne is more practical for sure... The Massai Cut is NOT as roomy but Massai is a gorgeous bag and it is less casual-looking as Evelyne :P

AND have you consider Mawari??? The GM is very roomy for things :smile:

I use my Evelyne TGM for work and for my on-call duty... the TGM fits my Stethoscope and reflex hammer AND my iPad AND half my house in it LOL!!!

Thanks for the great advice everyone!!!!! I have been eyeing the Massais on Jean's website and have asked a few questions.

I think I am going to go with the Evelyne. I can't return the Massai to Jean if I don't like it and I think it's one I would want to see IRL and try. The problem is I love all these bags!!!!!! But being a very casual person with 2 young kids, sounds like the E will suit me better.

Now I am just waiting for some funds to clear and I can buy it!! I can't believe I am about to purchase my first H bag :faint: :ghi5:

I have both the Massai (PM) and 3 Evelynes. I have two kids aged 4 and 2. The Evelyne can hold diapers and wipes (even sippy cups in the outside pocket) and can be worn comfortably cross body filled like that. The Massai is stylish (my grail H bag) but doesn't hold as much without bulging and is not comfortable cross body even with the long strap (I am 5 feet tall, size 4 US). I am also a jeans gal and find that both are perfect with my wardrobe but the Massai can be dressier than the Evelyne.

Can't wait to see what you decide!!!

My first Hermes bag was a 40th birthday gift as well. I decided on an Evelyne (mine is a Evelyne II PM in toile and gold. i loved the look of the toile but I must say I do wish I had gotten an all leather Evelyne. I've used it once for fear of getting the toile dirty. :shame: Recently I read about people using the magic eraser for denim transfer and I'm determined to just start using it. My son is two now and I often don't carry a diaper bag; I just add a few diapers and a wipes case to my bag. The Evelyne is PERFECT for carrying what I need when I'm out and about with him; especially the fact that I can be hands free. I have to add though that a Massai is next on my list!

I think based on your list - casual lifestyle, not huge, etc. an Evelyne might work very well for you. Can't wait to see what you decide.

Karla--Magis Eraser takes everything off. I use my Barenia/Toile E all the time and when I get home I rub the back with the eraser and it's as good as new!!!