Stores/Companies that are activists.

Coach+Louislove

Ducks for the Cup!
O.G.
Aug 4, 2008
I don't know if this is the right place for this or not but if not, it can be moved.

My question is: Would it deter you from shopping at a particular store or using a business/company if they were activists or if they protested something that you don't agree with? This cosmetic company in Alberta is protesting the Oil Sands, because it's not "clean". Well, the CPP (Canadian Association of Petroleum) has commented and has said that the "facts" that this cosmetics company are using are all wrong. My dad works in the oil and gas industry and so I know first hand that the oil sands have very strict protocol and are actually pretty clean.
I don't agree with their position on the oil sands, but I think I would still probably shop there. I love their cosmetic stuff too much to not shop there haha. And the last time I went to the store, the girl who worked there was so nice and she helped me pick out a gift for someone. I think it's how you're treated as a shopper is what influences whether you go back or not (in some cases).

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the circumstances -- how involved the company is in the cause you don't support, how much the particular issue means to you, etc.

I didn't go to a particular place for years because of its well-known political stand on and financial backing of an issue that meant a great deal to me at the time. That issue is no longer something I am so concerned with, so I don't avoid the business anymore. I still refuse to support a particular (gigantic) charity because of its religious discrimination, and I make it a point not to patronize movies and a TV show starring a particular actor who I view as a disgusting human being.

I know a lot of people have a problem with famous people and companies using their status to become activists. I suppose I see their point, but to me, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, and everyone is entitled to contribute to causes that they see as worthwhile. If I know about it AND I feel strongly, I will take a stand -- either by boycotting it or by supporting it. It does work the other way as well - I may never have been interested in renewing my interest in the GAP and may never have ventured to the MAC counter had it not been for each company's AIDS work. Now I shop both regularly.

Eh, it does seriously make me hesitant. I would have to really like the product to use it.

For example: E.L.F. cosmetics are affiliated with PETA.

I hate PETA with a passion. And I don't like even a miniscule fraction of a cent of my money being involved with them in any way, shape or form.

But I do have a few ELF items, mostly purchased prior to realizing their affiliation.

Eh, it does seriously make me hesitant. I would have to really like the product to use it.

For example: E.L.F. cosmetics are affiliated with PETA.

I hate PETA with a passion. And I don't like even a miniscule fraction of a cent of my money being involved with them in any way, shape or form.

But I do have a few ELF items, mostly purchased prior to realizing their affiliation.

OMG! I feel the exact same way! I was talking about this earlier with my dad and I told him that if any company was associated with PETA I would never buy from them.

You're talking about LUSH, aren't you? I don't know if you meant to kept their company name private in your original post, but it's not a big secret that they support really out there eco activities. The article I'm reading on them goes so far as to describe as them supporting "eco-terrorists".