Jewelry Lovers chit chat thread

Bagaday - tell me more about the jewelry shows! What do you do at them? Is it work or pleasure?

It is both work and pleasure as I work part-time at a jewelry store and help out when it is time to go to the shows. It's a lot of work - on your feet all day long, walking, walking, walking. CBG is a small show that is at Ceasar's (we belong to that buying group) so it's a bit more laid-back. JCK is unbelievable. There's Couture and Luxury too on top of all the other vendors. You have to actually pick and choose what vendor's you're going to look at. You must LOVE jewelry,:biggrin: which I do, but even I glaze over after awhile. It's hard not to point and I say "I want that". Ummm, because you have to pay for it too!:nuts: Plus I love regular shopping in Vegas too so I'm a very happy gal for a week.

Sounds heavenly, SM3. I think that that if we ever do the "cruise" thing again, it would have to be similar to yours. We just don't like the huge cruise ships anymore. Especially when you have to get back on board by 5-6 pm for dinner.

One of dh's associates & close friend has a yatch and we were invited to join them on their trip along the west coast but I'm not sure if the kids would like the experience. Well, I think that I'm more concern about kids running amok on it. lol

Are your children gong as well? How do you manage it?

Nooooo! :lol: We do a couple of trips just DH and I each year and a big familia trip each summer for all of us.
I wouldn't be comfortable taking my kids on someone's yacht either I don't think :-s

Swanky, that sure sounds swanky! ;)

I'm also a little apprehensive, I had a really bad experience on a cruise I went on when I was 13. Our waiter wouldn't leave me alone, and kept cornering me and trying to get me to meet him at night. EWWWW.

I think it will be a great option for us right now though, since it's me, my Mom, and my 4 yo. I'm leaving DH at home, which will make for much better shopping!

Egads! :faint:

Bagaday, do you have to be in the jewelry industry to get into the Vegas shows? I heard one of them has amazing antique jewelry and I would love to go, but I was told only industry allowed. Is that true? I love estate pieces and always visit the diamond district in NY when I go. I also think I will be in Vegas during those shows. Thanks!

Jennifer

Bagaday, do you have to be in the jewelry industry to get into the Vegas shows? I heard one of them has amazing antique jewelry and I would love to go, but I was told only industry allowed. Is that true? I love estate pieces and always visit the diamond district in NY when I go. I also think I will be in Vegas during those shows. Thanks!

Jennifer

Yes, unfortunately, you have to have vendor/retailer credentials to gain access. The security is actually kind of scary - lots of big guns. However, I thought the show with vintage pieces did allow access to the public. I thought it was up the strip though, not at Sands Convention Hall. Not sure but if I find out any info, I'll pass on.

Hey Ladies!

It is both work and pleasure as I work part-time at a jewelry store and help out when it is time to go to the shows. It's a lot of work - on your feet all day long, walking, walking, walking. CBG is a small show that is at Ceasar's (we belong to that buying group) so it's a bit more laid-back. JCK is unbelievable. There's Couture and Luxury too on top of all the other vendors. You have to actually pick and choose what vendor's you're going to look at. You must LOVE jewelry,:biggrin: which I do, but even I glaze over after awhile. It's hard not to point and I say "I want that". Ummm, because you have to pay for it too!:nuts: Plus I love regular shopping in Vegas too so I'm a very happy gal for a week.

Do you do the jewelry show the week of ASD? In Feb/March & then again Aug/Sept. Used to be at the Mirage Now at the Sands. I love this show!

Swanky - you might enjoy the yachting cruises. Its probably about as upscale as one can get without being P Diddys guest.

Candice - does your friend like working for Cunard? I've been on the QV twice, really enjoyed it. We are going on Crystal this year, making out our list of what special food items we want them to stock for us.

Last edited: