Omega or Cartier

Enjoy whichever watch you get! I will say this...

The ladies here (and men) will probably ALL tell you to get the Cartier because it's about the brand.

If it is about the timepiece itself, the Omega is an IN HOUSE movement, vs. a modified ETA (swatch group) movement, and therefore from a quality/value/artisan standpoint, the OMEGA is leaps and bounds "better" than the Cartier.

That being said, the Cartier has lovely fit and finish, and is a wonderful timepiece. I just "respect" the Omega more as a piece of horological artistry. :smile:

Enjoy whichever watch you get! I will say this...

The ladies here (and men) will probably ALL tell you to get the Cartier because it's about the brand.

If it is about the timepiece itself, the Omega is an IN HOUSE movement, vs. a modified ETA (swatch group) movement, and therefore from a quality/value/artisan standpoint, the OMEGA is leaps and bounds "better" than the Cartier.

That being said, the Cartier has lovely fit and finish, and is a wonderful timepiece. I just "respect" the Omega more as a piece of horological artistry. :smile:

You know a lot about how the watch works. That's why I'm torn, because , I'm thinking the same way. Aside from the physical aspects of it, will it also stand the test of time? It will be my "forever" watch. I love the look of the cartier but I also like the movement of the omega. I can't get an automatic cartier, since it will be over my budget.

You know a lot about how the watch works. That's why I'm torn, because , I'm thinking the same way. Aside from the physical aspects of it, will it also stand the test of time? It will be my "forever" watch. I love the look of the cartier but I also like the movement of the omega. I can't get an automatic cartier, since it will be over my budget.

This is just my opinion, but go with the automatic Omega!

With the exception of a few quartz movements, most are simple G10's or Rhonda's and cost pennies. Think $5 to $75. Then put this in a Cariter watch... and pay thousands. Same for most all quartz watches. Sure, the casing, fit and finish, etc. all come into the equation, but the Omega is true horological ingenuity.

Additionally, nothing is more compelling, beautiful, or exciting as knowing that the tiempiece on your wrist is nothing more than momentum pushing gears and cogs to produce a perfect symphony of time ;)

That's my two pennies. You buy Rolex and Cartier for the name. You buy Omega for the quality. Enjoy :smile:

This is just my opinion, but go with the automatic Omega!

With the exception of a few quartz movements, most are simple G10's or Rhonda's and cost pennies. Think $5 to $75. Then put this in a Cariter watch... and pay thousands. Same for most all quartz watches. Sure, the casing, fit and finish, etc. all come into the equation, but the Omega is true horological ingenuity.

Additionally, nothing is more compelling, beautiful, or exciting as knowing that the tiempiece on your wrist is nothing more than momentum pushing gears and cogs to produce a perfect symphony of time ;)

That's my two pennies. You buy Rolex and Cartier for the name. You buy Omega for the quality. Enjoy :smile:

wow.. you have a point there. But how about if I go for an automatic cartier?

Well, two points.

1. I thought you said the auto Cartier was out of your budget? If it is not, then review my original post. Ultimately, they use ETA Swiss movements (like most companies) that they modify to varying degrees. I prefer Omega for their in-house movements that can't be beat by watches costing 5 - 10 times MORE $$$.

2. Cartier Ballon Bleu auto is gorgeous. Simple elegance. (The $100k Tourbillon is WOW ;)) The Omega is an old standard. I might prefer the guts of the Omega and the look of the Cartier if it were the Balon Bleu. However, and this is most important... GET WHAT SPEAKS TO YOU AND MAKES YOU FEEL SPECIAL :smile:

My wife is not at ALL impressed with the "insides" of most watches, and prefers to focus on the asthetics. I understand her view but do not feel the same. Make your choice based on what matters most to you. All I was offering was 2 views that basically boil down to trying to appreciate the real horological aspects of a watch, and secondly, understanding that Cartier like most brands buys ETA movements and puts them nto their designs. Not as impressive (to me!) as Omega making their own masterpieces.

:smile:

Another vote for Omega. Share same thoughts as wired1 but prefers quartz for accuracy and wind free! Love the Constellation and yes, it will be a classic for many many years. Big watches are just trendy.

wired1 - we are all like your wife! I am not impressed by the insides of the watch chronometer and all the mambo jumbo my husbands tells me, 2 seconds or 2 minutes late! I just want a watch that looks good! :P

I think if you worried about movement AND looks go Rolex. You can choose metals (2 tone or all ss), band style, face, bezel, size and is automatic in house made. This way you can make either classic look, more modern look base on your choice and know you also have quality time piece. I know people can argued about whether Omega in house better then Rolex in house, but sounds like you just want know you have quality watch and small opinion difference over which in house better not such big deal since is arguable. GL!