Tiffany vs Cartier, white gold vs. platinum

Sep 29, 2006
I really want to buy a solitaire diamond necklace, as per my previous posts, and I've narrowed down my choices to Cartier or Tiffany. I think I will go for the round prong setting as opposed to the bezel. Tiffany's DBY bezel setting has a pointy back which really irritates my skin.

So if you were to choose, would u buy a solitaire diamond necklace from Cartier or Tiffany? Tiffany is set in platinum, Cartier is in white gold. If Cartier's was set in platinum, I would definitely get Cartier. But when I spoke to the lady earlier, she said that they only carry it in white gold. This worries me a little bit because I intend to wear this necklace everyday. And assuming that I never take it off, ie sleep and shower with it, will white gold withstand that kind of wear? I'm afraid that if I get the Cartier, God forbid the diamond will fall off after all this wear. Help! :confused1:

White gold on a necklace will be fine. Platinum is softer than gold, so as far as security, white gold might stand up better to time (although around your neck either would be fine). Some people's PH can eat away at the rhodium plating on white gold, but that's usually a problem for rings, not necklaces, and can be easily re-dipped.

so I found a Tiffany platinum .62 carat F color SI1 and a Cartier white gold .55 carat G color VVS2 of about the same price. I would have to say that I'm not too concerned with the clarity, I think that since it won't be on a ring, that I would rather go for color than clarity. I guess it's almost a no brainer that I should go for the Tiffany. But I still would like to know what tpf-ers think.

i think tiffany would be a better choice. platinum will wear better over time and only requires polishing when the time comes. white gold on the other hand will require dipping after a while...i find plat to be more durable. i also think a better color diamond and a bigger size is a good deal. good luck with your decision.

Cartier is actually more expensive by about $500. I don't know why I'm still debating this. I guess coz Tiffany seems a little mass produced to me and Cartier feels more exclusive. I'm seriously thinking of just buying both, wearing it side by side on my neck and compare lol

Cartier is actually more expensive by about $500. I don't know why I'm still debating this. I guess coz Tiffany seems a little mass produced to me and Cartier feels more exclusive. I'm seriously thinking of just buying both, wearing it side by side on my neck and compare lol

:biggrin: sounds like a good idea.
I would definitely choose Cartier.

In that case, no question, the Tiffany would be my choice - bigger, platinum and cheaper!!!

This is such a basic, timeless style. I'm not sure why you're wanting the designer label attached to it. For your money, you could get a higher grade, larger, better cut, and more beautiful diamond from a reputable independent jeweler.

Do the necklace look exactly the same? No difference at all? If I had to choose two necklaces identical but metal and size and grade of course I pick the platinum with the larger nicer diamond which is Tiffany, but if there is difference of style then maybe I have to look again... do you have links to styles maybe then we could help better, otherwise Tiffany in this case