High Shipping, PARCEL POST?

Yikes! I just received a gift sent Parcel Post from RI to NV and while it took 3 weeks (!), the total shipping cost for a large box weighing approx. 2 lbs was $2.96!!!

Thats really strange. They must have made an error . It sounds like the price of first class which would be under 13 ounces.

It was around 3lbs and can easily fit in a priority box, I can't believe she charged me $20 for PARCEL post. I wonder how long it'll take for me to get any of my items with those parcel post shippings at high costs :sad:

I ship almost every day and use Parcel post or priority whenever something is over 13 ounces and cannot go first class mail. Parcel can be expensive but should not be 20.00. Usps does have a rule if the dimensions of the box are bigger than 12x12 then you get a really hefty surcharge added. I once wanted to ship some boots in a box bigger than 12x12 and they said it was like 40.00! I am not sure if she packed in a bigger box than 12x12. If it this size or smaller then from one coast to the other is only about 10.00 without dc. If in the same state its about 6.00 without insurance or dc. Just check the postage on the box or see if she shipped in an oversize box and ask for a refund if she cheated you.

DC is 80 cents Sig Confirm is 2.35 and insurance is 1.75 and up depending on amount.

I have had parcel packages take two weeks and a few days before so that can happen. Parcel can be sooo slow sometimes.

Last edited:
If the auction stated that the shipping was $20 for Parcel Post the buyer would be agreeing to that by bidding.
The time to question something or try to negotiate is prior to placing a bid.
Of course then you do run the risk of being BBL'd.
But then there would be no need to be worrying about the shipping charge!
Not trying to be snarky.....I'm just sayin!:balloon:

If the auction stated that the shipping was $20 for Parcel Post the buyer would be agreeing to that by bidding.
The time to question something or try to negotiate is prior to placing a bid.
Of course then you do run the risk of being BBL'd.
But then there would be no need to be worrying about the shipping charge!
Not trying to be snarky.....I'm just sayin!:balloon:

That is true OP. If that is the amount stated, you should have inquired about the shipping costs prior to bidding/buying the item. But then again, $20 is a lot just for S&H. Even I don't charge that much unless international but this is within a state!

Did she insure it? How much was the bag? Does it need signature confirmation? How much does the box weigh? What are the measurements of the box?

Good questions. I will ask a few more.

Was it a structured bag? How large was the bag? Are you sure you would want a bag packed well or crammed into a preset size box to save on shipping? Was there a handling charge stated?

Maybe we could see the auction? That would answer most of these questions.

I have shipped bags that cost around $15 parcel post because I didn't want to damage a large structured bag. Oversize shipping makes the amount jump up significantly. Insurance and Signature Confirmation can easily add $5 to the cost.

Good questions. I will ask a few more.

Was it a structured bag? How large was the bag? Are you sure you would want a bag packed well or crammed into a preset size box to save on shipping? Was there a handling charge stated?

Maybe we could see the auction? That would answer most of these questions.

I have shipped bags that cost around $15 parcel post because I didn't want to damage a large structured bag. Oversize shipping makes the amount jump up significantly. Insurance and Signature Confirmation can easily add $5 to the cost.

Yes. If we could see it that would be helpful. I also agree you should have questioned shipping first, not after.

Not to hijack this thread, but someone charged me $9.99 for UPS shipping a scarf, and then sent it via USPS regular mail for $2.90! I was pretty mad that she did this, and sent her two emails to refund me $7.00 for shipping. She answered once to say something like "I don't try to make money on shipping, I am just selling some of my precious items because I need $$," blah, blah. No refund for the overcharge for shipping. How should I handle FB for this? The scarf was fine, but she definitely overcharged me for shipping it.:nuts:

Not to hijack this thread, but someone charged me $9.99 for UPS shipping a scarf, and then sent it via USPS regular mail for $2.90! I was pretty mad that she did this, and sent her two emails to refund me $7.00 for shipping. She answered once to say something like "I don't try to make money on shipping, I am just selling some of my precious items because I need $$," blah, blah. No refund for the overcharge for shipping. How should I handle FB for this? The scarf was fine, but she definitely overcharged me for shipping it.:nuts:

I would email that you can see the price of 2.90 on the package and you were charged 10.00 and that this is a big difference and would appreciate a refund. I might mention that you cannot overinflate shipping per ebays policy. That is ridiculous.

It is referred to as shipping and HANDLING.

Thankfully am able to recycle boxes from work and live a few blocks from a Post Office.

Others may have to purchase shipping supplies and have to drive some distance. Gas here is $3 a gallon at the low end.

Most computers come with a back button. If there is something you don't like about an auction either ask the seller PRIOR to bidding or use the back button.

Once you have bid (and won) you have accepted the sellers stated terms. You have not been stolen from, cheated , or abused.

IF the seller changes the terms AFTER the auction closes (tries to charge more than the listing stated) or ships parcel but charged priority THEN you would have a reason to complain.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Poopsie2!

My big peeve is when sellers charge exact USPS cost (with no extra for handling, etc), someone wins it, then silently dings the shipping cost stars. If they are unhappy with the shipping cost, 1. Don't bid, 2. Complain to USPS.

It is referred to as shipping and HANDLING.

Thankfully am able to recycle boxes from work and live a few blocks from a Post Office.

Others may have to purchase shipping supplies and have to drive some distance. Gas here is $3 a gallon at the low end.

Most computers come with a back button. If there is something you don't like about an auction either ask the seller PRIOR to bidding or use the back button.

Once you have bid (and won) you have accepted the sellers stated terms. You have not been stolen from, cheated , or abused.

IF the seller changes the terms AFTER the auction closes (tries to charge more than the listing stated) or ships parcel but charged priority THEN you would have a reason to complain.

I think that's a good general rule, but there has to be some reasonable expectation that you will get shipping and handling equal to what you pay. For example, if you agree to pay $25 to have a bag shipped, you don't expect to get it crammed into an envelope with no protection and shipped for $6. It's best to ask if shipping method isn't specified, but sellers are not supposed to profit on shipping and so buyers should be able to assume that they will not.

And sellers can't charge for gas to/from the post office in handling charges. From eBay:

What you're not allowed to charge
  • Insurance: You can't charge a separate fee for insurance, although you still need to make sure your item arrives as described.
    Tip: You should incorporate any insurance fees into an item's price or handling cost.
  • Tariffs, duties, and customs fees: For cross-border transactions, you're not allowed to collect tariffs, duties, or customs fees. (Buyers may be responsible for paying these fees as required by country laws.)
    Tip: Remember not to inappropriately classify an item as a gift as a way to avoid certain duties, tariffs, or customs fees. U.S. law prohibits submitting false or misleading customs information.
  • Related fees: Things like gas, mileage, time spent at a carrier, employee wages, or eBay and PayPal fees should not be added.

Yes, you are right about Ebay saying that a seller is not allowed to charge for those things.

And yes there should be a reasonable correlation between the amount charged and the service given. Until the OP reports back with more details we have no way of knowing.

Has the buyer even asked the seller if they would be willing to work with them on this? Perhaps if it is a huge discrepancy they may be willing to, although they would be within their rights to refuse.

Perhaps the seller wasn't counting on getting a sale so close to home. I know that 99% of my sales are to the other side of the country.

I would email that you can see the price of 2.90 on the package and you were charged 10.00 and that this is a big difference and would appreciate a refund. I might mention that you cannot overinflate shipping per ebays policy. That is ridiculous.
I already did that (nicely) twice.. Now I am wondering about feedback. If she had sent the thing priority insured (still overpriced for a $50 scarf) or even overnight for $9.99, it would be one thing. But she sent USPS regular mail for $2.90! And whn I asked her about it (getting the refund for actual postage) she snippily told me she was "not trying to make money with shipping." Even though she DID make $7.00. I know it's a quibbling sum, but it makes me mad. I have had sellers refund me $3.00 because they overcharged for shipping (and I didn't even ask them to)

Last edited:
I already did that (nicely) twice.. Now I am wondering about feedback. If she had sent the thing priority insured (still overpriced for a $50 scarf) or even overnight for $9.99, it would be one thing. But she sent USPS regular mail for $2.90! And whn I asked her about it (getting the refund for actual postage) she snippily told me she was "not trying to make money with shipping." Even though she DID make $7.00. I know it's a quibbling sum, but it makes me mad. I have had sellers refund me $3.00 because they overcharged for shipping (and I didn't even ask them to)

I always try to refund if its over by a 1.00 or more. I would have assumed for 10.00 I would get priority shipping. If it was me I would mention it in the feedback. I would probably give a positive or neutral depending on if I was happy with the item and rate lower on shipping costs. Maybe something like scarf was as described but charged 9.99 shipping when actual cost was 2.90. If she wanted to keep a dollar or two for the packing supplies then ok but to keep 7.00 is a lot.

I'd leave feedback saying something like-
"scarf was beautiful, shipping charges were outrageous" or
"loved scarf, but was way overcharged S & H"

That way you can convey that the item was nice, but that you didn't appreciate the shipping charges.