Capsule wadrobe - what does your consist of?

Handbag_Whore

Dec 13, 2009
Im looking to overhaul my wadrobe and "look". Im a jeans and flats kinda girl but want to start looking a bit smarter and more pulled together!

Do you guys have a capsule wadrobe which makes you look good no matter what and what is it?! :biggrin:

Here are some of the pieces I am using right now. The outfits on the left are for work, but you can see how I reused the same pieces in the more casual outfits on the right.

Hope this helps!

http://www.polyvore.com/spring/set?id=17343964

wow is this wadrobe, i totally envy it?
I love the colours you use.
What handbag brands do you usually buy? I see you have a couple of very nice ones

wow is this wadrobe, i totally envy it?
I love the colours you use.
What handbag brands do you usually buy? I see you have a couple of very nice ones

Yes, I have all these pieces or at least very similar ones. I generally favor Coach bags as they are well made and more reasonable than a lot of other brands. This Douney tote, however is amazing. I picked it up at the outlet here a couple of years ago and am probably down to $.50 a use at this point and it still looks new.

This is one of my "capsules" I am using for spring. It is my gray/white/green one. I also have one that is more pinks/yellow/khaki.

I try to buy something along the following for each capsule:

1-2 neutral tees
1-2 neutral tanks or cami
2-3 sweaters in fun colors
2-3 shirts or other woven tops in neutral tones or colors that tie into the cardigan
1-2 neutral skirts preferrably in a fabric that can be dressed up or down
1-2 pairs or fun jeans
1-2 pairs of neater, more dressy jeans or other versitile pants
2-3 pairs of flats (ballet, driving loafers, sandals)
a pair of heels
2-3 bags (a wristlet or clutch, a mid-sized bag, a tote)
a jacket or trench coat
my usual Tiffany or Pandora bracelets and Michele watch

Having a highly mix and match wardrobe makes it very easy to get dressed and packing for a trip is fast. Also, I don't feel bad about spending a little more on individual pieces because I know everything will get used. I can get a ton of different looks out of about 30 carefully chosen pieces.

Haha unfortunately i am one of those "fad" buyers, i HATE neutral pieces and believe that EVERY outfit should be fabulous so would rather invest in fantastic designer bags and then use cheaper but special pieces for my clothes, shoes, accessories, etc....
I do think that the Kain pocket tees and tanks are great wardrobe staples though and have such a better look about them than regular tanks and tees,
Also Miu Miu and Lanvin flats are worthwhile splurges as the heels won't wear down like stilettos and they add an extra piece of glamour to everyday outfits,
Tolani scarves are also a great investment, the styles and lengths are TDF and do last,
As for jeans, well TBH i don't buy into expensive denim as my River island jeans fit perfectly, look great and last for ages and look good after many washes so i do wonder WHY pay extra for designer denims?
I would rarely pay out for designer high heels either, for the fact that unless they are for a special occasion then it is just silly money as after 2 or 3 wears they will need re-heeling, why bother when i can get highstreet shoes that are just as gorgeous and cheap enough that after a few wears i can throw them away? I get the added bonus of never being seen in the same shoes more than a few times so my shoe collection is constantly updating :biggrin:
If you are into leather then i think a great leather jacket is a must investment, personally i don't do leather jackets but for those who do - definately invest in something like a Rick owens that will last and last,
Jewellery i think comes and goes but is also a great idea to invest in classic pieces like pearls, diamond studs and small hoops - in whatever gold/silver/platinum of your liking,
Hope this helped :biggrin:

Snowqueen, I aspire to this! I love your polyvore organization. I tried, and couldn't do it. (How do you get an image that you've saved to your desktop to the set?) And I love the coats you've featured.

Alas, however, I can't make my work wardrobe do double duty. My work wardrobe consists of full blown suits. Some pieces I can break up, but most, no.

What I'm currently wearing are:

-dark wash jeans (STFM, R&R)
-fitted blazer (tweed - think Chanel-esque)
-cropped jackets (I love this Nanette Lepore one and wear it all the time)
Nanette%2BLepore%2BStuck%2Bon%2BYou%2Bswing%2Bjacket%2Bneimanmarcuscom.jpg

-black shift dress
-tees from GapBody in an assortment of colors
-cashmere v-necks and cardigans (pinks, greys, blues)
-just above-knee-length skirts (Club Monaco carries some fun ones with print)
-trousers (denim, pinstripes, dark grey, black) in varying materials
-light scarf - McQueen when it's not too cold, and my soft pink LV mongram cashmere shawl when it's freezing out

Reactions: newblonde
What I'm currently wearing are:

-dark wash jeans (STFM, R&R)
-fitted blazer (tweed - think Chanel-esque)
-cropped jackets (I love this Nanette Lepore one and wear it all the time)
Nanette%2BLepore%2BStuck%2Bon%2BYou%2Bswing%2Bjacket%2Bneimanmarcuscom.jpg

-black shift dress
-tees from GapBody in an assortment of colors
-cashmere v-necks and cardigans (pinks, greys, blues)
-just above-knee-length skirts (Club Monaco carries some fun ones with print)
-trousers (denim, pinstripes, dark grey, black) in varying materials
-light scarf - McQueen when it's not too cold, and my soft pink LV mongram cashmere shawl when it's freezing out

This all sounds gorgeous, this is what I aspire to!!

Do a thread search, there are a couple of threads on 'wardrobe essentials' and 'if you could only have 10 pieces of clothing'. These will probably give you some ideas for capsule wardrobes.

Haha unfortunately i am one of those "fad" buyers, i HATE neutral pieces and believe that EVERY outfit should be fabulous so would rather invest in fantastic designer bags and then use cheaper but special pieces for my clothes, shoes, accessories, etc....
I do think that the Kain pocket tees and tanks are great wardrobe staples though and have such a better look about them than regular tanks and tees,
Also Miu Miu and Lanvin flats are worthwhile splurges as the heels won't wear down like stilettos and they add an extra piece of glamour to everyday outfits,
Tolani scarves are also a great investment, the styles and lengths are TDF and do last,
As for jeans, well TBH i don't buy into expensive denim as my River island jeans fit perfectly, look great and last for ages and look good after many washes so i do wonder WHY pay extra for designer denims?
I would rarely pay out for designer high heels either, for the fact that unless they are for a special occasion then it is just silly money as after 2 or 3 wears they will need re-heeling, why bother when i can get highstreet shoes that are just as gorgeous and cheap enough that after a few wears i can throw them away? I get the added bonus of never being seen in the same shoes more than a few times so my shoe collection is constantly updating :biggrin:
If you are into leather then i think a great leather jacket is a must investment, personally i don't do leather jackets but for those who do - definately invest in something like a Rick owens that will last and last,
Jewellery i think comes and goes but is also a great idea to invest in classic pieces like pearls, diamond studs and small hoops - in whatever gold/silver/platinum of your liking,
Hope this helped :biggrin:

I'm similar when it comes to putting my wardrobe together

Dresses - both knee length and maxi in black or other versatile color. Cardigans and jackets! Mix and match them with dresses and other items to add versatility. Personally my main colors are black (mostly black), red, pink, and gray. Some purple. But I will take a knee length black cotton dress and pair it with an open purple cardigan, some cute sandals and a bold necklace and bracelet. I think jewelry is key in versatility as well. Some chunky necklaces and bracelets that are quick and easy. You could take a dozen pieces of clothing and a variety of jewelry, belts and shoes and have a myriad of outfits.