Does anyone own an Evercalf?

hjcr

Jul 4, 2009
I was just offered a Ebene Kelly in Evercalf from one of my SA's in another country. I wasn't familiar with the leather so I went to my local H boutique to see a swatch but they didn't have one. SA's in my local H were not familiar with the leather either.

Can anyone describe the Evercalf leather for me?
From what I hear, it's kind of like swift but thicker?
Is it floppy? Is it heavy? Does it scratch easily?

Personally, I was looking for a brown Kelly that was more floppy like clemence. Is Evercalf as floppy as clemence or swift? Or does it retain its shape more like togo or box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a Troika Kelly with Ebene Evercalf. It is a beautiful leather. Evercalf on a Kelly is not floppy like Clemence at all - it is a more structured leather. If you are looking for more of a floppy Kelly, this is not it. It does remind me a bit of swift. It has been a very durable leather for me (and I do not baby my bags at all).

Attachments

• troikakelly5s.jpg
    troikakelly5s.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 772
  • troikakelly9.jpg
    troikakelly9.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 744
Reactions: PJW5813
Thanks for the link!
Hmmm...
Is evergrain and evercalf the same leather?
I thought they were different...

Yes, they're definitely two different "animals" (skins) hjcr. If your boutique doesn't have a swatch. Ask them to check their stock of small leather goods, as they'll usually have a wallet or two in evercalf.

The SA's at my store think that it scratches quite easily and steered me to a bag in evergrain, which I love, but obviously, this could have simply been personal preference on their part.

Like Ranag, I have a troika/evercalf combo bag. Since the leather is just part of the bag, I don't have a sense of the structure but suspect it is stiffer than swift which is supremely floppy. My experience is that it does scratch fairly easily. Evergrain has a small grain; evercalf is smooth. If the Kelly is not too big, I doubt you will have problems with floppiness.

Like Ranag, I have a troika/evercalf combo bag. Since the leather is just part of the bag, I don't have a sense of the structure but suspect it is stiffer than swift which is supremely floppy. My experience is that it does scratch fairly easily. Evergrain has a small grain; evercalf is smooth. If the Kelly is not too big, I doubt you will have problems with floppiness.

ITA with Ranag and Pepper. I have a noir/noir 31 troika evercalf bolide phw that I just bought at the sample sale. It is my impression that the evercalf portion is thick, matte (velvety) and soft to the touch. To me, it looks a bit like swift, and it has no grain. Very different than box or VN which are smooth but hard leathers. (I did have an evergrain jige which was matte with grain and I think more scratch resistant. Having said that, the evercalf scratches that I have gotten on it seem to rub out.

My bolide is rigide and 31, so I have no problems with floppiness, but I assume the troika body also holds its shape.

I had an Evercalf HAC at one time and it was a beautiful leather. It is very velvety soft to the touch. Like 880 said, any scratches that i got could be easily rubbed out with your finger.
That's one H i totally regret selling during my "fine tuning" of my collection because of the feel of the leather.

Ranag- Thanks for the pics! Your Troika kelly is beautiful! I would love to own one if I ever moved to a cooler climate...!

Roo Cambonne - I share your love for evergrain!

lilyhermes, Pepper 880 & jennifleur - Thank you all for wonderfully sharing your experience of evercalf... I definitely do have a better idea of what it's like, but decided not to get it since what I wanted was more of a floppy, casual look. I decided to go with a swift Havanne with PH. Do you guys think it'll look casual enough?

i have an ebene or chocolate evercalf Trim I and the 'grain' (lack thereof) most closely resembles barenia, IMO. i haven't worked on rubbing out the multiple scratches it attracts, although my feeble attempts have not succeeded as they would on my ebene barenia bag.

This post is quite old and I would love to know if there are any more experience on Evercalf or pictures of ageing of the leather...
Fom what I was told Evergrain is the closest you can get to Barenia but I only saw it in swatch..

Go for it! I have an Evercalf Margiela Initiale bag. At least I think it's Evercalf because the Initiale was not made in Evergrain and the leather is smooth and satiny like box. It is quite soft and floopy but then the Initiale is an unstructured bag - unlike the Kelly -though I still think a Evergrain Kelly would have that floopy look you are after.

That being said, it is, IMHO, the most lovely of all the H leathers. The feel is like velvet, quite luxurious and with a luminous sheen. It does scratch easily but the nature of the leather makes them sort of blend right in. A small price to pay for such a beautiful leather.