Advice for a 14yr old wanting to get into the acting industry

Ladybug09

So Sweet!
O.G.
Aug 2, 2007
Hey everyone, one of my coworkers daughter is wanting to get in the acting/arts/theater industry...What advice would you give to assist her. Who to speak with? Reputable companies? The steps. They live in the DC Metro area btw.

Thanks in advance.

Being in my early twenties myself, to be honest, don't take a 14 year old to seriously when it comes to picking out jobs like acting! Unless they've had a passion forever it isn't uncommon for teens to want to be part of the "mtv" lifestyle of celebs and gossip mags.

Perhaps enrolling at a local creative centre theatre group for teens is a good idea while still focusing on school. The people at the theatre group might be able to give some info about which people to contact.
Just my opinion, good luck!

My little sister has been into acting since she was 11. She started off with going to a middle school for theater, spent a summer in LA with my aunt who sent her to a prestigious acting camp, and an excellent high school for theater and now she's in a college theater program so my best advice would be practice, practice, practice. Even if acting comes naturally, there is always room for improvement (like Yale's drama program for the mfa - top notch talent!).

Who to speak with? If she is already in training and surrounded by like minded people/parents that is probably the best she can do in DC ... if someone is serious about breaking into the industry LA or NYC makes the most sense.

I have an aunt in LA who acts (mainly commercials and stage plays) and she is an advocate of the learn your craft school and go somewhere where it can be "found".

Be sure shes okay with rejection. Getting rejected by a boy at your school is not the same thing as having a agent/casting director rip you apart, and tell you that you are not good enough.

Read. She should read everything she can get her hands on. Bad, good, mediocre.

Watch movies, go to plays. Pay attention. Sometimes there's acting going on there.

I would also suggest that she get involved with her school's drama club, if there is one, and consider starting one if there isn't.

She should also get to know her friendly local community theatre groups. There she will meet other people with the same interest, and she'll be able to get advice about classes in everything from accents to dance - and most important of all, find out whether and to what extent she has a natural gift, and how hard she wants to work, and what she is willing to give up to develop it.

Thank you guys for your advice. I told her dad to make sure she's in her school, community plays.

Do you guys know of any reputable acting companies/camps etc in the DC, NYC area? Or should she steer clear of these.

Also the name of any agents would be good.

Also the name of any agents would be good.

unless she is a complete Meryl Streep natural, I would hold off on agents for now. Agents want someone who knows what they are doing and are a little seasoned - ie; knowing how to do a read through and audition, camera angles, where to stand, blocking, etc. They don't want to have to teach the person about acting. And when she is ready to find an agent or management, make sure they steer clear of anyone who asks them for money. No reputable agency or mgmt. company does this. They see the client as an investment and will put up the money for any headshots needed as they don't make money unless their client gets hired and makes money.

Yeah, join school theatre and stick with it even if she's only getting chorus/extra roles. If she has no experience an agent probably won't be much good yet. If she's really passionate do a summer intensive or workshop.