Birkin - dilemma in choosing the leather

footlocker

O.G.
Mar 25, 2010
Hi all,

I am going to enter my name in the waiting list in HK for a birkin 40cm.

I have read the 'leather guide' here but still have difficulty in choosing the leather.

I have three in mind: clemence, togo and Fjord.

My preference is endurance to water and scratch, and appearance. I know clemence/togo is softer than Fjord, but appearance wise is clemence/togo better than Fjord? Which one is more popular?

I cannot change my choice once I entered my name in the waiting list. Please advice. Thank you very much.:biggrin:

With fjord, you will most likely (90%) have veining which may be deep gouges in the leather. It is a personal choice as some people like them while others don't. Fjord is the most structured and is waterproof. It also has more of a matte finish which I personally love.

With Togo, I have seen both although I have to say veining on Togo is often more visible (especially in the lighter colors) than Fjord. Of the two, I don't mind veining on Fjord but depending on leather colors, I cannot accept veining on some togos.

With TC, there is low chance of veining. but over time, TC is the floppiest! On a birkin, this will bother me (but on a model like Lindy, I am okay). So basically, your birkin MAY not even stand up on its own (especially with a 40!). There is a thread of floppy birkin and if you like it, TC will be the leather for you. The grain on TC and Togo are quite similar.

I would say all three are very easy to care for. Did you get a chance to look at the leather book so that you can see how your choice of colors are reflected in the leather? That may also influence which leather you want!

The above is my limited experience with the three leathers and perhaps others can correct me and/or chime in with their personal experiences. There are die hard fans for all three leathers as I cannot comment on the popularity contest! :biggrin: I have all three and have specific preference depending on the bag and the color!

BTW, how long is the wait list for a birkin 40cm!? I just saw a black TC Kelly 40cm in Elements HK and an alezan TC HAC40 in Lee Gardens about 2~3 weeks ago and was quite surprised to see them so readily available!

Good luck with your search!

I would think clemence might be too floppy in a size 40 bag. But it is really a matter of personal preference regarding the finish of fjord and togo. Each may take color differently, which is another consideration. Have fun deciding!

Hi Hanyeu,

Thanks for your suggestion. For veining, I dont think it is an issue with me. I will choose black as my colour choice. So I will have a look in the leather book to see how 'black' it can be in the three leather.

BTW, I really like your pictures in H, especially the one you carried your black birkin. Is it a 40cm?

How long is the waiting list? I have no idea but the SA told me it takes around 1.5 to 2 years for black with PHW.

Honestly, buying the bag in HK is toooooo expensive when compared to that in Europe. How much for buying a 40cm Birkin in Fjord/Togo/Clemence in Taiwan?

have a good day.

I would think clemence might be too floppy in a size 40 bag. But it is really a matter of personal preference regarding the finish of fjord and togo. Each may take color differently, which is another consideration. Have fun deciding!

Thanks for pointing it out. This is also a matter to take into consideration. Without the shape, it doesnt look good (i think).

Another thing to note is that clemence gives a richer color than togo and if you are going to buy black this is visable, the clemence has a deeper richer black color to it and personally I do not like black in togo due to this!

Hi Hanyeu,

Thanks for your suggestion. For veining, I dont think it is an issue with me. I will choose black as my colour choice. So I will have a look in the leather book to see how 'black' it can be in the three leather.

BTW, I really like your pictures in H, especially the one you carried your black birkin. Is it a 40cm?

How long is the waiting list? I have no idea but the SA told me it takes around 1.5 to 2 years for black with PHW.

Honestly, buying the bag in HK is toooooo expensive when compared to that in Europe. How much for buying a 40cm Birkin in Fjord/Togo/Clemence in Taiwan?

have a good day.

I got mine in Paris. I think 40 birkin in fjord in Paris is now Euro 6450+/- and you know the exchange rate is EXCELLENT!

I would never be able to get on a waiting list for birkin in Taipei. The wait is at least 3 years if not more!

Mine is black fjord 40cm in PHW btw.

Wow, Hanyeu, thanks. No wonder your birkin look so good. Yours is exactly the one i want.

Mind my asking how did you buy yours in Paris? in FSH? you travelled to there and then ordered? Or you bought at the spot?

Yes, the rate is EXCELLENT. Just 1 Euro to HKD10.48. Very good rate. But the fact is how can I buy one from Paris......if I am not going to Paris in the near future.....:thinking:

Personally, I love fjord in black. It is so dark and so rich looking. Very velvety.
The old fjord was heavy, but newer fjord seems to be lighter. My fjord has absolutely no veins. Maybe I got a great piece of fjord? I also love how it holds its shape.

Personally, I love fjord in black. It is so dark and so rich looking. Very velvety.
The old fjord was heavy, but newer fjord seems to be lighter. My fjord has absolutely no veins. Maybe I got a great piece of fjord? I also love how it holds its shape.

Agree with this. Fjord in black looks really elegant. Mine has no veins either. I've seen other Fjord bags with no veins.