help! I please tell me I didn't ruin my bag!

Swoopy

Mar 28, 2010
I post here as the screen name Swoopie from time to time. For some weird reason TPF can't find my account so I had to re-register....:rolleyes:

Anyway, I am totally freaking out. I went out to lunch with my bff today and took one of my favorite bags out. It is the MFF British tan heritage....something. I can't think of her name right now. Anyway, I realized there is gum on the bottom of her! I didn't put her on the ground. I NEVER put my bags on the ground. I'm super anal about that. So there must have been something on the seat where I sat her. How do I get the gum out of the leather?

Here is a pic! Sorry about the quality, it was taken with my iphone. TIA!

14ma0pl.jpg

im5ks7.jpg

Last edited:
Ice is really good for removing gum. I would put the ice in a ziplock bag so the it doesn't get the leather wet. Get the gum really cold with the icepack and then it should just pick off. HTH!!

After removing the gum I'd use a bit of Coach moisturizer on the spot too. Sometimes that can help buff out spots, dirt, or scratches.
If you have trouble getting the gum off yourself, you might want to take it to a local leather or shoe repair shop. They can often work wonders with things. I know one of my local Coach stores actually works closely with a particular shop and will cover the cost of repairs that Jax won't do (up to a certain amount, beyond that they recommend sending it into Jax).

According to e-how:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2282694_remove-gum-from-leather.html

Step 1
#

Scrape off any excess gum carefully with a credit card, plastic scraper or your fingernails.
#
Step 2

Mix dish soap and water, using enough soap to create lots of suds. Dampen a soft cloth with the mixture and wipe the leather.
#
Step 3

Wipe again with clean water and then with a dry cloth. If the gum is gone, stop here and follow up with a leather conditioner.
#
Step 4

Dip a clean cloth in peanut butter or vegetable oil and rub it onto the spot. Let stand for 1 minute.
#
Step 5

Use another clean cloth to wipe away the peanut butter or oil. The gum will be gone, with no damage to your leather.

----
The ice method works too, good luck!

According to e-how:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2282694_remove-gum-from-leather.html

Step 1
#

Scrape off any excess gum carefully with a credit card, plastic scraper or your fingernails.
#
Step 2

Mix dish soap and water, using enough soap to create lots of suds. Dampen a soft cloth with the mixture and wipe the leather.
#
Step 3

Wipe again with clean water and then with a dry cloth. If the gum is gone, stop here and follow up with a leather conditioner.
#
Step 4

Dip a clean cloth in peanut butter or vegetable oil and rub it onto the spot. Let stand for 1 minute.
#
Step 5

Use another clean cloth to wipe away the peanut butter or oil. The gum will be gone, with no damage to your leather.

----
The ice method works too, good luck!

Do not use any oily substance on your leather, a receipe for disaster IMHO. The ice method should work fine. Jsut be careful when removing the frozen gum, so slowly.

GL

There was just a thread on this in the RM forum...the ice thing works and she conditioned the spot a little after removing the gum (but it was an RM so I don't know about conditioning the Coach though I am sure you can :smile: The bag looked fine after! Good luck!

Good luck.....I would be just as peed off as you!! I know it probably isn't any consolation but I'm glad it is the bottom and not as noticeable as the front would be.

Peanut butter?!
Omg, I'd die if someone put peanut butter on one of my bags, lol.
Sorry, not trying to pick...I think it's awesome that all the Coachies are so thoughtful...I'm just imagining peanut butter on one of my bags and cringing, hehe.

I really hope you are able to get the gum off.

Everyone above said what I would have said! I would go for ice in a plastic bag to protect the leather and then you can just pick it off! Good luck, I hope it works out for you!