Call me crazy, but... [Vent]

May 28, 2007
I've been noticing some new authenticators on the various AT threads that are behaving rather questionably -- don't get me wrong, I value the work these gals do 100% and I trust their opinions. But it looks like some new people are authenticating and responding rather quickly with assessments that contradict those of more experienced/seasoned authenticators on TPF. If you look around, you will see what I mean. I know authentications are not guaranteed on here and anyone can authenticate, but I value these threads so very much, it just makes me uneasy that some of these assessments may not (IMO) be on point or as reliable as those made by our savvy well-known authenticators -- assessments that are very important for all buyers and sellers who are here on TPF!

I know there's nothing *I* can do about it, but was just venting. I am seeking to authenticate a bag I'm watching on evilBay, but don't want to go in to the AT thread being like "I only want ______ to authenticate this" for fear of getting snapped at (like I've seen happen to others). Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Yeh I kind of noticed that too. A lot of people are quick to try and authenticate a bag and sometimes they actually get it wrong. Personally I will only say something is fake when I know its 100% fake, I dont say yes this is authentic because I simply dont have a clue!!

I suppose thats why its always good to get more than one opinion on this kind of thing, unfortunately sometimes we dont always have time to wait around for a second opinion which is why a lot of us, including myself have been burned with a fake bag because we were too hasty. New authenticators who arent sure what they are doing could cause problems for new PF'ers as they think great its been authenticated by x so lets go and buy it..only to find out later that others with a bit more knowledge say actually its a fake :sad:

It would be nice if maybe the Authenticate forums could have dedicated people who have been chosen to do so (thus not allowing just anyone to do it). How this could happen I have no idea (and maybe it's not possible). But I do see the old time authenticators in Chanel who do a truly excellent job, they have advised me a few times and I really do appreciate their time and knowledge. :yes:

I do worry sometimes when someone who has just a few posts, or someone who is new to authenticating gives their opinion.....I always feel more comfortable when a seasoned authenticator gives their opinion.

I actually sold to a girl her called my bag fake (I did a thread on this). It wasn't, but then I noticed she was authenticating in another forum AND still needing the help of authenticators for HER bags. Needless to say she does not have the skills or know how to be an authenticator. She is also new to the forum. She is getting bags wrong. Some of the vets on here are amazing, but I think there are others that like to do it just so they get credit for another posts or something. It is frustrating. I wanted to stop the newbie from doing it, but how? What can you really do. I agree that they should have selected people so it just like they have selected Mods.

Sometimes I´m stunned by peoples stupidity. I find what you say fashion-mom very disturbing. She must be an idiot! Sorry, that´s my oppinion, lol!

I used to spend alot of time authenticating balenciaga bags a year or so ago, before going over to Hermès. I guess that I might be perceived as "new", should I ever go back, and start authenticating. New members would not know me but at least I have a high postcount.

Or maybe when a new authenticator comes to authenticate, an old timer (not meaning their age....but rather their experience authenticating on tPF) could double check their opinion and say they agree or disagree.

I realize someone new can come along and have the knowledge necessary to authenticate, but because they have a low post count, you just don't know if they can do it. A new person could "earn" their way to be a respected authenticator here, by receiving the back up from an old timer.

Sometimes I´m stunned by peoples stupidity. I find what you say fashion-mom very disturbing. She must be an idiot! Sorry, that´s my oppinion, lol!

I used to spend alot of time authenticating balenciaga bags a year or so ago, before going over to Hermès. I guess that I might be perceived as "new", should I ever go back, and start authenticating. New members would not know me but at least I have a high postcount.

I am sure there are new members that could be considered and expert because they have been into bags for so long. The one I am talking about CLEARLY is not. However unfortunantly if someone has a low post count I always wait for a second opinion because you just never know. And yes I would consider that girl an idiot. Some people on the forum figured out her ID based on what I told them (I didn't give it out as it is against the rules)-They all agreed she is a total moron and possibly hurting someone else by authenticating wrong-more than once.

I am sure there are new members that could be considered and expert because they have been into bags for so long. The one I am talking about CLEARLY is not. However unfortunantly if someone has a low post count I always wait for a second opinion because you just never know. And yes I would consider that girl an idiot. Some people on the forum figured out her ID based on what I told them (I didn't give it out as it is against the rules)-They all agreed she is a total moron and possibly hurting someone else by authenticating wrong-more than once.

But sometimes you don't get a second opinion......

But sometimes you don't get a second opinion......
You can always ask for a second opionion...

In the MJ forum, the authenticators usually always double check each other. Nothing is mentioned unless it's authenticated incorrectly, and there is no offense taken when someone asks for a 2nd opinion.

Listings end before people even get first opinions.... People should try to post listings in a timely fashion. If it's ending too soon, the person either waited too long to ask or is impulsively buying(probably not a good idea). No offense, but if you're asking for a free service, then you can't expect the authentication to happen when you want it to.

Listings end before people even get first opinions.... People should try to post listings in a timely fashion. If it's ending too soon, the person either waited too long to ask or is impulsively buying(probably not a good idea). No offense, but if you're asking for a free service, then you can't expect the authentication to happen when you want it to.

I agree. I know it is hard, but it is worth headache.

I am not questioning anybody. I am simply stating that new members who get the green light from someone who is not qualified to authenticate are at risk. Even more so if the listing ends soon. I don´t know what you read in my post. Maybe I misread yours, hard to tell on the internet.

eta. I am not asking for authentication, I am the authenticator btw.

Last edited:
You can always ask for a second opionion...

In the MJ forum, the authenticators usually always double check each other. Nothing is mentioned unless it's authenticated incorrectly, and there is no offense taken when someone asks for a 2nd opinion.

True, if I needed a second opinion I would ask.

I agree, you cannot wait till the last minutes or hours and expect to get it authenticated for you, it depends who's online at that time authenticating...if they have time to look at only a few or several auctions.