Newbie needs advice on 1st bal!

Swanky-panky

Mar 22, 2010
I've been reading so much on this forum my eyes are about to fall out - but thanks for all the great info!
I'm seriously thinking about buying a First or a City - they're so lightweight and the colors - omg!
Could you tell me what colors are least likely to fade? There is a Marine First on ****** - if the color photographs true, it's amazing.
Any advice on choosing between the two styles, also, would be appreciated. I've seen probably 2 or 3 posts from City owners for every First. Why?
No one where I live will realize what the bag is - it'll be my little secret!

I've been reading so much on this forum my eyes are about to fall out - but thanks for all the great info!
I'm seriously thinking about buying a First or a City - they're so lightweight and the colors - omg!
Could you tell me what colors are least likely to fade? There is a Marine First on ****** - if the color photographs true, it's amazing.
Any advice on choosing between the two styles, also, would be appreciated. I've seen probably 2 or 3 posts from City owners for every First. Why?
No one where I live will realize what the bag is - it'll be my little secret!

Hi know what you mean. I bought my first "first 06 Emerald" completly unknowing what I was doing. I will never let her go no matter how beat up she is. I am a green person so it worked. Don't worry about the city, first, velo, work etc. If you love the color and if the size fits your needs, go for it!!! That IMO from a new bal addict :biggrin:

Last edited:
Re the style - I have seen comparison photos on this forum, where they set out the difference in sizes between the First, City, Part Time etc. Do think about what you are likely to use it for, whether you tend to try to fit the world into your handbag (I do!) etc. I started out wanting a First before I realised how small it was for my purposes. I bought the City and I love it. If you are undecided between the First and the City, there is a new style this season called the Town which sort of fits in between the First and the City

I've been to the bal site several times and I haven't seen the Town - sounds intriguing - where do I look?

****** did have it but she put it on sale so it has since sold. you would have to go to your Bal store or send her an email to pick it up. Please note colors are by season....so if you love a color make sure the variation is avail ;)

My very first Bal was a black City and I love it because it's a work horse...it holds everything and goes everywhere, rain, sleet and snow (I live in the Northeast). I have a First which I use when I don't want to carry a lot of stuff...going on a couple of errands, etc. It basically holds a large wallet, phone, and keys. The Day is a good bag too, but it's a deep bag and I find everything gets lost at the bottom and it gets heavy. The lighter colors fade over time...but I don't mind this so much. Good luck finding the perfect bag!