seller has shipped & now wants more $ for shipping??

Oct 21, 2008
On Tuesday I bought a pair Dolce & Gabbana boots with BIN. The price was high (it was a kind of treat for me :P) and I paid immediately. Shipping was $38 international, which I thought fair.
I heard nothing from the seller until this morning when she advised that she had just shipped the boots and wanted another $20 for shipping because shipping cost more than she thought.
She sent this message to my email address, not through Ebay.
The seller has a store so I checked her other listings and most are like the listing I bought - high end expensive BINs with international shipping $37-38. Many of them boots = exxy shipping.

Should I pay or is this some kind of scam where the seller lures buyers then says oops silly me I didn't know about the shipping costs??

Personally, I would not. If you paid the amount that the seller requested in the auction, I don't see how they can ask for more than that - the auction terms are as binding for the seller as they are for the bidder, IMHO. I know it sounds harsh, but if she can't properly calculate the amount of shipping for her items, that isn't your problem.

Again, JMHO.

Yu are not obligated to pay extra shipping. It is her fault she has underestimated her shipping charges. Shipping boots can easily run up to $40 - $50 and that's before insurance and such.

You can always offer to mutually cancel the transaction if the seller is really unhappy. She can e-list with a higher shipping charge and you will go from there.

p-WA

I am not a seller on eBay, but I have sold a few things from my own closet. I have underestimated the shipping charges (once dramatically to the UK), but I would have NEVER contacted the buyer and expected them to pay the difference. You bid on the item based on the cost, and that includes shipping. Why would this seller even think that you would send them more money now? Totally inappropriate, IMHO, especially for a well-seasoned seller with a store.

Yu are not obligated to pay extra shipping. It is her fault she has underestimated her shipping charges. Shipping boots can easily run up to $40 - $50 and that's before insurance and such.

You can always offer to mutually cancel the transaction if the seller is really unhappy. She can e-list with a higher shipping charge and you will go from there.

p-WA

^ I agree..not your fault.
I sell and if I made the mistake I would have to eat it...or do the above suggestion..:smile::yes:

I actually created a thread about this recently. Seller wanted to charge extra. I had called ebay and ebay says that a seller can not do that.

Very good to know that...

But I too have miscalculated shipping costs and eat it myself...I would never dream of asking a buyer for additional shipping...

Thanks for your replies so far! I'm not a seller so I don't know how it works, but I've never been asked to pay additional shipping to that listed after a win or buy.

This is her email ;
"Hi, your Dolce & Gabbana boots was sent out for you via Express mail. And with the recent rate increase, it cost almost $62 to ship. With Priority Mail it would have cost $58 so I thought with the small difference it's better to go with Express. The reason being that the package dimension is over the priority mail guide line so the price is almost like Express mail. However, I had only only put down $37 for shipping via priority mail in the listing you bid on. Therefore I will appreciate if you can reimburse me the difference of $20 for shipping. Or another way we can approach this is that I can request ebay final value fee to cover the difference. I can have you bid on an auction style listing which cost me a lot less commission. So that way I can get some reimbursement for shipping. Please let me know what you think. Thank you very much for your purchase."

:shrugs: I don't even understand half of this.

p-WA

She says she's shipped already. I haven't checked the tracking yet.

Thanks for your replies so far! I'm not a seller so I don't know how it works, but I've never been asked to pay additional shipping to that listed after a win or buy.

This is her email ;
"Hi, your Dolce & Gabbana boots was sent out for you via Express mail. And with the recent rate increase, it cost almost $62 to ship. With Priority Mail it would have cost $58 so I thought with the small difference it's better to go with Express. The reason being that the package dimension is over the priority mail guide line so the price is almost like Express mail. However, I had only only put down $37 for shipping via priority mail in the listing you bid on. Therefore I will appreciate if you can reimburse me the difference of $20 for shipping. Or another way we can approach this is that I can request ebay final value fee to cover the difference. I can have you bid on an auction style listing which cost me a lot less commission. So that way I can get some reimbursement for shipping. Please let me know what you think. Thank you very much for your purchase."

:shrugs: I don't even understand half of this.

I think what she's saying is that as another option she would do a new auction for the same boots, you would bid (but auction style format not bin)
She would end auction, you would win and then she would cancel the first auction.
When sellers do BIN listings they pay more when the item sells compared to if it's an auction style.

I would reply to her that the price she has already charged you for shipping, the price quoted in the auction, is the price you have agreed to pay and did pay. That you are sorry she miscalculated, but you will not be paying any more. Simple as that.

As a seller I have also made a mistake on shipping, and charged too little. Never would I have dreamed to contact the buyer and ask for the difference. But from that point on, I always bring my items to the PO before I list them and they tell me how much the shipping will be with sig and insurance. So no more mistakes for me. That seller will learn to do this too.