Do You Save For A Handbag?

msJenna

May 12, 2007
I recently decided I want to purchase another Chanel bag.

I have never saved for a handbag ever- I've always just gone out and bought them without planning in advance.

I was thinking of just putting aside some money each month for a few months and then buying a new Chanel bag.

How many of you do this? Is this common?

I always thought if you had to save- you couldn't afford it- but I guess learning to save for something you want teaches you how to budget and teaches you to appreciate the item more and really put thought into what you want.

What do you guys think?

I am always saving for chanel and get sidetracked along the way, but atm saving as going to nyc in november and want another handbag so badly! it's good to save i think u appreciate it more xoxo

I recently decided I want to purchase another Chanel bag.

I have never saved for a handbag ever- I've always just gone out and bought them without planning in advance.

I was thinking of just putting aside some money each month for a few months and then buying a new Chanel bag.

How many of you do this? Is this common?

I always thought if you had to save- you couldn't afford it- but I guess learning to save for something you want teaches you how to budget and teaches you to appreciate the item more and really put thought into what you want.

What do you guys think?

That thought process goes along with "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it". I used to work in a couture house (no prices on the pieces) ladies were always asking the prices and believe me they could afford them.

I usually just buy what I like to - not this time, I have a big ticket item to pay for later in the year so I'm saving too (with a planned dip into my savings somewhere mid year).

Planning' and saving is a great idea, then you will really feel you've earned your Chanel and you will carry it with even more pride ;)

I have saved for a handbag and depends on the cost. Sometimes I take money from my savings to purchase them. There's nothing wrong with saving especially if you really want a specific bag.

I believe that it is better to have a forever bag than a disposable bag.
I believe that it is better to spend disposable income rather than touching investments, long term savings, or having to put off other expenses.
I believe that I shouldn't spend more than 2% of my annual income on any one luxury item.

I save because I'd rather have my money work for me, instead of just watch it vanish on a whim.

If it's one of those bags that don't cost a bomb and which I can easily afford from my monthly salary, then no. But if it's one of those that costs thousands, then yes.

I disagree that "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it". I think it's more about smart money management; just because you have the money doesn't mean you should splurge on designers without thinking twice. Moreover, some bags just aren't worth the price, regardless of whether you can afford it or not.

Mostly I can afford the designers, but I still make it a point to save up for it, and then when I buy it, I feel like I've actually earned it.

I agree with ShirLeigh -- if it's something that's not more than a couple hundred $$ that I can afford with my "spending $$" from my paycheck(s), then no I don't save, but if it's a bag that's pricier - esp if it's MORE than one of my regular paychecks, then yes, I HAVE to save up for that bag. I don't use cc's so I have to have the cash on hand (which eliminates a lot of impulse buying!), and I won't dip into $$ reserved for other things (i.e., savings, monthly bills, planned purchases for home, etc).

One thing that always seems to happen tho, is when I'm saving for something in particular, something else I want and/or have been looking for usually comes along - then I have to decide which one I want more! If I go for the instant gratification of buying the one that just "popped up" that means starting to save all over again and putting the original purchase off a little bit longer