Feedback system needs some work

hposnm

Sep 10, 2008
Venting moment so please indulge me!

As a buyer on ebay, it's very irritating to have sellers inform me that they will only leave me feedback AFTER I leave them feedback. I mean, c'mon! As soon as I paid up within the alloted time, I've fulfilled my part as a buyer and should be given feedback for that! Don't hijack feedback like that!

As a seller on ebay, it's equally as irritating to know that we can only leave positive feedback for buyers. Some buyers are just so fussy and unreasonable, taking extra long to pay without prior contact and then demanding I ship immediately and still having the nerve to complain about the item. Granted, descriptions are very subjective which is why we pay good money to include pictures so you know exactly what you're getting.

I would really much prefer to sell an item cheaper to someone more accomodating than to a fusspot.

The ebay feedback system really needs some tweaking!

/rant over

Many sellers, myself included have quit leaving feedback just because the buyer paid quickly. I don't tell my buyers that I will leave f/b when they do, but I do tell them I will be delighted to leave f/b as soon as I know they are happy with their item.

Yes, the system really needs some tweaking as it is totally unfair that the seller can only positive.

Many sellers, myself included have quit leaving feedback just because the buyer paid quickly. I don't tell my buyers that I will leave f/b when they do, but I do tell them I will be delighted to leave f/b as soon as I know they are happy with their item.

Yes, the system really needs some tweaking as it is totally unfair that the seller can only positive.

^ agree here.. many buyers will only leave fb after they have received

their item and are happy.. not terribly fair always to sellers but ebay

has set it up that way... ridiculous...

it needs alot of work. im a newer ebay member havent had any problems yet thankfully, but after a buyer pays i leave feedback and some never lave it for me after getting there item. kind of pisses me off. it sure would help boost my score. ive decided to wait till the day i track and see item delivered. maybe they will notice it more and remember me lol.

Here're my 2cts:

1. Sellers should be allowed to give negative feedback to buyers. I will definitely wanna know if I'm selling something to a fussy person because I would really rather not sell or sell for cheaper to someone more accomodating.

2. %age scores should be adjusted so that it reflects information more accurately. So, as a buyer, I wanna see the %age of satisfied 'customers' only. So each person could have 2 fb scores -- 1 as a buyer (esp important if -ve feedback is reintroduced again) and 1 as a seller. This will minimise us having to click on their fb link to check their transaction history.

3. Basic information like 'date of closed auction', 'date of payment', 'date of shipment/tracking info' should be shown somewhere on the sidebar against each transaction on the feedback page. So I can see how quickly seller actually ships based on his past history. I can also see how quickly buyer typically paid and most importantly, I can decide for myself if the -ve feedback received was genuine. It can just be the symbols taht we see on our seller's page.

Those are just some thoughts. Feel free to offer other perspectives.

i agree feedback needs to be overhauled

buyers and sellers should be able to leave feedback, and the feedback extortion removal should be applied to both sides,

i think that there should be some sort of incentive for both buyers and sellers to leave feedback, whether it is pos, neg, or neutral.

lastly it should not be the end of the world if you get a neg and your feedback is not 100%. everyone makes mistakes, i think that after a year (from the time the neg feedback was given, not in the calender year) the negative comment should stay and be easily looked up, but the ding to your percentage should be gone. made neutral..the negs recycle so people who have learned from their mistakes, can move on..instead of starting new accounts just to start over and get 100% again.

i agree feedback needs to be overhauled

the negative comment should stay and be easily looked up, but the ding to your percentage should be gone. made neutral..the negs recycle so people who have learned from their mistakes, can move on..instead of starting new accounts just to start over and get 100% again.

On negative feedback being 'easily looked up'...

I buy off ebay Australia and ebay USA and for some reason, ebay USA doesn't allow me to 'search' for the negative feedback relating to sellers. I've found that when I add a .au after the .com, I'm actually able to just click on the negative/netraul feedback and read ONLY the negative stuff without having to click through 30000 page views to find the 3 negative fb.

On negative feedback being 'easily looked up'...

I buy off ebay Australia and ebay USA and for some reason, ebay USA doesn't allow me to 'search' for the negative feedback relating to sellers. I've found that when I add a .au after the .com, I'm actually able to just click on the negative/netraul feedback and read ONLY the negative stuff without having to click through 30000 page views to find the 3 negative fb.

Try using toolhaus to check negs ?
http://toolhaus.org/negs

I agree it needs looking at. I personally leave feedback as a seller as soon as my buyers pay me. It's a bit 'hit n miss' if they get the item they log back on and leave me feedback.

Still think it's disguting that you cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer. Just had to open a dispute case for non payer. She finally paid 4 days into the case however when I left her feedback I just told the truth on the 'positive' feedback you have to leave now!

i dont leave feedback until the buyer has gotten the item and i know they're happy. sorry but imo a transaction isn't over until i know they got it and like it.

Also linked to their fb system somewhat - their second chance offer rules. As a seller I offered my item to the next highest bidder when the original buyer declined due to PP issues. I had put down a 5 day deadline for the second chance offer. After 5 days and I didn't hear from the highest bidder, I simply assumed he was not interested in buying my item anymore so that was that. For two months I didn't visit my ebay account then came back because I wanted to search for a bag to buy. Lo and behold, the second chance offer buyer was indeed interested and paid for my item AFTER the 5 days expiry date. And because he did not hear from me for 2 months and did not receive the item, he gave me a negative fb. I sent the item to him within the same week, he was really pleased but he could not change the fb anymore because it was post-60 days. So now I have an 87% positive rate from the 19 buy and sell transactions I have. I think that is soooo unfair!!!! I tried writing to ebay about it but I think it got lost somewhere in their mix of comments. I'm thinking of selling old stuff on bonanzle because of this.

Also linked to their fb system somewhat - their second chance offer rules. As a seller I offered my item to the next highest bidder when the original buyer declined due to PP issues. I had put down a 5 day deadline for the second chance offer. After 5 days and I didn't hear from the highest bidder, I simply assumed he was not interested in buying my item anymore so that was that. For two months I didn't visit my ebay account then came back because I wanted to search for a bag to buy. Lo and behold, the second chance offer buyer was indeed interested and paid for my item AFTER the 5 days expiry date. And because he did not hear from me for 2 months and did not receive the item, he gave me a negative fb. I sent the item to him within the same week, he was really pleased but he could not change the fb anymore because it was post-60 days. So now I have an 87% positive rate from the 19 buy and sell transactions I have. I think that is soooo unfair!!!! I tried writing to ebay about it but I think it got lost somewhere in their mix of comments. I'm thinking of selling old stuff on bonanzle because of this.

Shouldn't you have had an email alert about them accepting your offer? If you didn't get one from ebay, then there is really something wrong with their system.....

i dont leave feedback until the buyer has gotten the item and i know they're happy. sorry but imo a transaction isn't over until i know they got it and like it.

As a seller, I agree.

That's why I say they should bring back negatives for buyers. That'll really teach buyers to behave.

Shouldn't you have had an email alert about them accepting your offer? If you didn't get one from ebay, then there is really something wrong with their system.....

I did...on my ebay email...which I didn't check after two months! I was partly at fault and the buyer understood that part...but my question is what was the 5 day deadline for then for a buyer to take a second chance offer, when his offer was automatically accepted by ebay anyway when he paid after the 5th day? Also, why can't the buyer change his negative feedback after 60 days when we resolved the issue very, very amicably? The fb system is indeed built to suit the buyer's needs and not the seller. He of course got a positive feedback from me.

As for when sellers put in positive feedback - I put one in as soon as I get a cleared payment because that is my only expectation from the buyer. Me thinks I have to change this practice and wait until they receive the item and tell me they like it. I've been reading a lot of ebay stories where buyers accuse the honest sellers of selling something fake and demand a refund. I know it's hard to trust anyone nowadays but as a seller I am now afraid of buyers who are nit picky and those who do not know the difference between fake and real.

^^^Agreed