vintage CHANEL on ebay... extortionate prices?

plilippé

Oct 12, 2009
does anyone else think that vintage or 'used' chanel things on ebay are so overpriced? they are priced a couple of hundred below retail and that is supposed to be good?

In my experience, I haven't seen classic vintage pieces priced outrageously. I have found that generally, they run about half of current retail.
Now, gently used pieces that are a year or perhaps up to 5 years old can run very close to retail if they are as new or even over retail if they are rare or hard to find. These are not vintage though.
Carole is right, the vintage pieces tend to be better made and overall quality is better.

ITA Vintage in excellent condition will last you many years condition! I have seen some go for lower but it all depends on the condition you're looking for.

Nicole makes the whole vintage thing look really good which I think pushes prices up. I found these on ebay for extortionate prices - and rather too many of them as well which makes me wonder about provenance/authenticity. Some seller even said he had two pristine identical ones in the wardrobe.... yeah right...

Attachments

• nicolerichie0202108.jpg
    nicolerichie0202108.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 345
  • nicole-richie-joel-madden-go-jewelry-shopping-03.jpg
    nicole-richie-joel-madden-go-jewelry-shopping-03.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 404
Does anyone know what a fair price is to buy a vintage lambskin mini flap these days? tia

Depending on the condition and color of the bag. I would say it ranges from $1050 - $1400 (black lambskin ghw in mint cond.)I've been watching a lot of listings and I got a vintage mint one for about $1350. It also depends on the seller's feedback and specialization, I guess ppl are usually willing to pay a little bit higher for reputable sellers.

plilippé;14661662 said:
Nicole makes the whole vintage thing look really good which I think pushes prices up. I found these on ebay for extortionate prices - and rather too many of them as well which makes me wonder about provenance/authenticity. Some seller even said he had two pristine identical ones in the wardrobe.... yeah right...

Agree that nicole wears the vintage pieces really well! She makes me wanna buy vintage chanels! But I guess some sellers are consignment stores, thus it's possible for them to have two bags of the same style, esp. if it was a popular style. The vintage lambskin definitely feels like it has better quality, I own two so far, and they're firmer than the current ones which feels more delicate even when it's brand new.

Depending on the condition and color of the bag. I would say it ranges from $1050 - $1400 (black lambskin ghw in mint cond.)I've been watching a lot of listings and I got a vintage mint one for about $1350. It also depends on the seller's feedback and specialization, I guess ppl are usually willing to pay a little bit higher for reputable sellers.

Thank you for your reply! Is red a popular colour or not really?

No, they price them according to what people are willing to pay.

ITA! And unfortunately, I have been guilty of paying like $200 OVER retail for a Chanel item I HAD TO HAVE but was no longer avail at the boutique.... so it is what it is... extortion...whatever... but we were both :biggrin: