Tech ANYONE ever spill on their MACBOOK keyboard?

Beach Bum

O.G.
Feb 17, 2006
Hayden DUMPED a sippy cup of juice on my macbook key board...the keys r still sticking..GOtta bring it in.NO warranty..sigh
any idea what they will charge?and...while trying to mop it up....I BROKE the space key..grrrrrrrrrr
anyone have this happen?

No, thank god.
Before you bring it in, try drying it out in a bag/bucket with silica gel or rice. (google for more through instructions). If it doesn't work after that, then you should bring it in but I think it will be quite expensive, like $500 or $600.
Good luck!

ick....good luck!
when i had my first laptop (yeaaaaarrrrrrssss ago) i spilled a bottle of smirnoff on it :sad: what a mess. had to go to walmart and buy a $9 computer keyboard to hook up to it.

Hayden DUMPED a sippy cup of juice on my macbook key board...the keys r still sticking..GOtta bring it in.NO warranty..sigh
any idea what they will charge?and...while trying to mop it up....I BROKE the space key..grrrrrrrrrr
anyone have this happen?

Ironic you should have this question: I was in the Apple store recently and a customer came in with a MacBook that had water spill. He was still under warranty and they wouldn't fix it, well they would but it was going to cost around $500. So the Genuis told him to just sell it on craigslist, he'd probably get around $700 and could put that toward a new one.

liquid spills aren't covered... sorry :sad:

Most def won't be cheap. Maybe you could try the craigslist thing? They wanted to charge me $900 for fixing dents on my MBP. Mmm...could have just bought a new one (+ a few more $$) at that price.

I spilled pineapple juice on my computer about three years ago and I still have it now! As long as the keys are still typing you can probably save it. Clean the keys (under the keys) with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol - should fix the sticking issue!

I spilled a whole cup of coffee with sugar & creamer on my macbook pro.

My suggestions:

Take out the battery, invert MB so all the liquid comes out & try pouring distilled alcohol on the keyboard to help remove the sticky... the alcohol is neutral, so shouldn't do anything worse & will evaporate as it dries. Keep it inverted and put a fan on it for 3-5 days until you're sure that all the liquid has dried. Once you're sure it's dry, put the battery back in & try turning it on... if you're lucky, MB will still work.

Save all you're info/pics/movies, etc to an external HD.

I was told the same thing... liquid spills are not covered under warrantee/apple care. You could probably find someone outside of apple to open up your case to clean, but not many places would want to do that bc it's humbug work.

I lucked out in that I got another year and a half of work out of my MB pro before the sugar/acids ate into the logic board & destroyed my beloved laptop. Now, I have taken over my husband's HP laptop while I wait for the arrendale refresh of the MB Pros. You can bet I'm going to be way more careful next time.

Got my first laptop well over 15 months ago, and then I got a netbook over four months ago. I have never spilled anything on them, thank god.

Although, I admit being pretty lazy a few times and typing with greasy hands.

i must research keyboard protectors..... my cats love to lay on my keyboard... i've only had this since jan...don't want to know how much cat are is already under the keys! lol

How comfortable do you feel unscrewing a few screws on your laptop? lol.

My Dh's pretty crazy. When I spilled teriyaki sauce on my laptop my DH took it apart, dipped the keyboard in water with a sprinkling of oxyclean in it and let airdry. When it was dry, he then put it all back together again and voila, good as new.

This is also the same man that will take apart a regular old keyboard when it's pretty dirty and run it through the dishwasher. Apparently the plastic keys underneath are all one piece, so when you split it apart from the circuitry it's pretty easy to wash. go figure.

Caveat- DH is in IT so he's pretty comfortable taking laptops, computers, etc apart. If you're not comfortable taking apart your computer obviously, I don't recommend it. But for those of you who would like to try it, and am wondering what kind of laptop I'm talking about it's a dell.

Happened to me unforunately!! I spilled soda. Apple said $900 worth of repairs, and suggested I just buy another one. It would work when plugged in but other than that it didnt work. I put it up on ebay and stated the spill and some computer guy bought it for $475 from me so I just bought another one :biggrin: