I've become obsessed with 9/11.

nordia5

<3
Apr 11, 2008
I don't know what prompted me to look up things from September 11,2001...but for the past week i've been OBSESSED with watching youtube videos of all things about it. I don't know if this shouldnt be discussed here or at all, but I've developed some sort of anxiety. On the day that it happened I was 11 years old...so naturally I didn't really understand...or I just don't remember if I did or not. So now I'm just really bothered. A lot.
I listened to tapes people made from inside the burning buildings before it collapsed. I saw pictures of people jumping to their deaths. I know all the theorys out there and I'm not here to talk about that at all. Just the toll it's taking on me personally. I was even crying the other night while watching some of these things. I live in CT, which borders NY and I go there frequently ... I just can't imagine being in the middle of something like that. I REALLY want to go to ground zero..but I feel like i'll be very emotional. Whereas before I watched all this stuff again, I probably wouldn't have.
Everytime I hear a plane go over my house I get SO paranoid..and it seems like lately I hear them all the time. And it's like okay, well maybe I should stop watching...but it's like i'm drawn to it and find it so interesting.
lol, i'm not crazyyy, i promise! just interested.

Last edited:
Its something I think most Americans will never get over. Still can't believe it happened.

Going to Ground Zero can be a very emotional experience. I was there twice when they still had teams of people working there. People were very quiet & reflective. Don't know what its like now, hope that people are still respectful of those whose lives were lost.

if it is causing you anxiety, yes, you should stop watching. get away from the conspirancy theories and whatever else anyone has to say because honestly, there are many things we will never know. there have been many tragedies throughout history brought upon by man. you can take anyone of them and focus and obsess on the hows and whys but it will never help you to understand the evil that caused it. you shouldn't want to understand that evil in the first place. I suggest you focus on the survivors of such man-made tragedies instead. Start to seek out and read the dozens of inspirational stories of people who have lived through such things and have gone on to do much greater things for their fellow man. Its just as easy to focus on the good people do then to gravitate towards the negative. Don't have a tabloid mentality about it - I know it can be very fascinating like watching a car accident - you just feel compelled to look because you can't wrap your mind around the horror. Just re-train yourself to look for better things that build you up edify you. Negativity has a way of sucking you down with it. Don't fall into that trap.

I think it is natural to be curious about something, and I agree it is something shocking that most of us will never "get over" or forget. I also understand the "car wreck mentality" that you can't look away from. But... I think you need to distance yourself somewhat and stop seeking out new information, watching videos, and obsessing over it. It is unhealthy and you are making yourself paranoid and nervous over something that happened almost 10 years ago. (Not diminishing what happened - just saying, it didn't happen just yesterday.) Perhaps you should focus not so much on the actual events of that day, but how people recovered from it. Focus on the positive aspects - survivors, etc.

It might be good for you to go visit Ground Zero. Maybe it would help give you some type of closure?

I'm not necessarily obsessing over the theories, I just didn't want a conversation to start up like that. I already believe what I believe and made up my mind about that one.

But just like bagnshoofetish said...it's like watching a car accident. It does something to you but you just can't stop watching.

^^^if something doesn't benefit you in a positive way, steer clear of it. you can still have respect for what happened and instead of the morbidity of watching people die over and over again, honor them by focusing on positive things. I understand this left an impression on you because you were so young when it happened but don't let it engulf you. the world is a huge place with so much more to occupy your mind for the better.

I am glad I was where I was. I never said I wished to have lived it. I'm just saying that I've become so interested in the stories of people, what actually happened..because when I was younger I didn't really pay attention and up until a couple days ago I still didn't really fully know the stories and all that came along with it. I'm not saying that the specific event in itself is what scares me. What scares me is the threat of everything that came along with that. I'm not saying that 9/11 is taking over my life...it just made me think and struck me as extremely interesting. So yes, while I am glad that I was where I was and was not hurt...I don't think I can "leave it at that". I've never experienced something like this in my lifetime other than 9/11. I just think it's extremely interesting. Do I think a terrorist is going to hi-jack a plane and crash into my house? No. But It's still eerie to hear planes go over my house all day.

I think realizing the history of it all and realizing how the world really is, is actually a good learning experience for me. I've never been a person to think things will never happen to me, I think that's why I'm always on guard and the situation has me a little paranoid.
Do I wish that I was in the Civil War or any other tragedy in American History? No. But that doesn't stop teachers from teaching it all day everyday until we know specific dates, specific people and every event to a T. I just think it's very interesting. Devastating, yes...but interesting. That's why I'd like to go to ground zero and just reflect.

I have gone through every emotion concerning 911. I am from Canada. Toronto, not far from NYC, and probably the closest MAJOR financial city to NYC. I agree and disagree with the previous posts... There are a LOT of unanswered questions regarding the US government's involvement in 911.. A LOT... However, I'm not the strict conspiracy theorist I once was. I feel like it's irresponsible to not educate yourself on all aspects/ theories/motives of this tragedy, because just blindly trusting the government's word, rarely reveals the truth. I think if you're feeling uncomfortable with the amount of time you're spending on this, then you know to take a break. You don't have to save the world!! I constantly argue with myself/ feel guilty over the amount of time I spend on clothes/shoes/bags, when my OTHER passion is humanitarian work. The bottom line of my rant is : I'm not saying don't trust your government, but absolutely question them! You're not weird for doing your research on this event, you're more enlightened than a lot of people twice your age. Also, form your own opinions. No matter what they are, you have the right to believe whatever you want, whether I, or any other person agrees or not. Good on you babe, good luck :smile:

There's a lot of very bad things that go on in the world and 7/11 was one of the worst of them. If you don't mind me saying, you seem to be quite young still (lucky you!:biggrin:), so maybe this is the first kind of 'nastiness' in the world that you became aware of at an early age, especially as it took place on home soil...? I don't know, and I apologise if I'm being presumptive. Your heart is obviously in a good place, but you can't take the troubles of the world on. You can do something to help I'm sure, but you can't turn back the clock unfortunately... Stay positive, and don't let the bar stewards (sic) grind you down!

Cornflower?! WHat exactly are you talking about? You make reference to 7/11 (Maybe an un-funny-idiot- farce?) and then said something about bar stewards? Like, servers/bartenders are the one's to bring people down?! hahahahahaha.....

^ Yea..I kindaa understood that but umm kinda didn't, lol.

I'm not trying to take the worlds problems on at all. I'm just fascinated by it all, that's all. I'm not trying to get justice or anything. It's just watching the events of that day interests to a point where it scares me. But many other things that I can't escape watching in the world scares me also.

^^^well, you can live your life in fear or you can live your life in confidence. Its up to you. you express being paranoid and fascinated. I think you just need to keep that in perspective. you can look at the holocaust in the same way. that could just as well happen again too. but do you want to live your life always looking over your shoulder or do you want to contribute to society in a positive way? sure learning about these things is important but when it crosses into paranoia and obsession, I don't believe thats healthy at all.
look, I was held up and kindapped at gunpoint in my early 20s. that was pretty traumatic for me. but I have moved on and don't dwell on it. I never let that situation define who I am and what I want my life to be about. Neither should you.

As someone who lived next to the WTC, was walking to the N Tower when the first plane hit , lived across from the site for 3 years after and still has chronic health problems from 9/11, all I can say is let it go.
Perhaps you could volunteer or help raise money when other tragedies occur.

Cornflower?! WHat exactly are you talking about? You make reference to 7/11 (Maybe an un-funny-idiot- farce?) and then said something about bar stewards? Like, servers/bartenders are the one's to bring people down?! hahahahahaha.....

"Don't let the bastards (bar stewards--say it fast) get you down."

OP, I vividly remember Sept. 11th. Recently I happened to read a couple of works of fiction--Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer, and a YA book called The Usual Rules, by Joyce Maynard--that were "about" 9/11. It was a coincidence that I happened to read those 2 books consecutively and I was quite moved by them. I admit I youtubed some of the video footage (even though I'd already seen it back in '01) in an attempt to get my head around, not so much the evilness of the act, but the sadness of it. Reading those books, even though they were fiction, brought home to me the struggles of the people who survived the attack---and yet carried on. Not to sound trite, but it can be a message of hope and survival, too, if you let it.