I am seething with rage.

olialm1

windy city
Dec 12, 2008
I bid on a pair of Citizens of Humanity Avedon in Dust, also known as jean leggings. Here is the auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...31554&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_4728wt_1167

When the listing ended I put a few things together and realized that these are NOT actually the jean leggings! She said the inseam is 32.5 when it should be 29" and the material content of her jeans (can be seen in the photos) says 98% cotton and 2% elastin when the jean leggings have a material content of 44% rayon/29% cotton/25% cupro/2% polyurethane. She inserted this link from Shopbop saying that these are the jeans she is selling:
http://www.shopbop.com/avedon-slick...4302023720&fm=browse-brand-shopbysize-viewall

when they are totally not! I messaged her saying I want to cancel the transaction and she must have gotten confused because COH makes regular stretch jeans that are called the Avedon. She said she offered the jeans to the next highest bidder but will hold me accountable for the transaction if they don't want to pay.

Am I in the wrong here? SHE depicted the jeans to be something they're not! The title of the ebay auction is "CITIZENS OF HUMANITY Avedon Skinny Legging Jeans sz 25" when they aren't that.

This is the message she sent me:

Dear -----,

Hi there. Im so sorry, but I do try to give as much detail as I can
about each item, so you know exactly what you are purchasing.
I included 19 photos of the jeans, including all the inner tag
numbers, so that you can be certain of the exact item you are
purchasing. Also, I included measurements and the fabric
content. I do this because I want my buyers to be happy (1,097
positive transactions). It has to be the buyer's responsibility to
look at the photos and read the item description, because I am
just a personal seller, and not a store, and I can't afford to give
refunds or let people not pay. This is how I pay my rent. That
being said, I do really try and help people out, esp if they feel
they've made a mistake. I have gone ahead and offered the
jeans to the next highest bidder. If they accept, I will let you out
of the transaction, but if they don't I will have to hold you to the
sale, as I do provide tons of photos and information, so
everyone knows exactly what they are bidding on. Thanks!
Molly

- molly_kirker

Here is how I responded:
Dear molly_kirker,

I would have no problem paying for these jeans if they were
actually what you said they were. The title of your ebay auction is
"Citizens of Humanity Avedon SKINNY LEGGING JEANS sz 25"
when they are not that. The issue here is that you depicted these
jeans to be something they are not - you included a link to
Shopbop's website saying that they are the COH Avedon jean
legging in Slick/"Dust" which is very misleading. The jeans in the
link are the ones I want and I bid on your listing because that is
how you represented them which turned out to be incorrect. I
will not be held accountable because you misrepresented the
item you are selling.

-(my ebay ID)

Is there anything else I should do?

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm going to side with the seller. I really think you're overreacting. "Legging jean" is a somewhat ambiguous term, and she posted right on her listing exactly what the fabric content was, as well as what the inseam was. I don't think that its her fault that you did not read the listing carefully before bidding, or look at the pictures carefully before bidding.

Take a deep breath or two.

Tell her very politely that you regret the inconvenience but you will not be able to complete the transaction.

Tell her that the link in her listing AND her listing title AND her description say that she is selling jeggins. What she is actually selling is jeans. Tell her politely that it is her responsibility as a seller to sell what she is actually advertising, and to advertise what she is actually selling. Tell her that this is a clear case of SNAD and that you are sorry she has to be educated on the subject. End of story.

p-WA

Calm down and wait to hear from her again. If she does not have a buyer and she goes through with her threat to make you pay, call PP and tell them what you found out: that the item is not what she said it was in her auction and she admits that. I think you can file to withdraw the transaction. At very worst you can leave FB about it not being the right thing? Unfortunately you did not figure this out BEFORE you won the auction? (assuming you asked questions). It does get your blood boiling when someone does this kind of stuff, but try to take deep breaths and be calm. Seller can't leave negative FB for a buyer but she can give you a non-paying bidder strike.

Yes, I agree I should calm down. I'm just aggravated because she put that link from Shopbop on her listing and that was the only reason I bid on the jeans. I literally figured out that these weren't the jeans she was selling in the last few minutes because I noticed the inseam was off, and THEN I realized the fabric content was wrong too.

I rarely use ebay, I have 7 feedback in total. I only use it when I REALLY want something! I even tried being nice to the seller telling her that she probably got confused because COH makes another jean called the "AVEDON" which is just a stretch jean and what she probably has on hand.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm going to side with the seller. I really think you're overreacting. "Legging jean" is a somewhat ambiguous term

No it is not. A denim legging is not a jean.

The seller has provided a Shopbop link in her listing to a completely different item. No matter how many times one clicks it, the link depicts a denim legging not a jean. Yet what she is selling is a jean. The buyer could have been more careful but I can see where she would be confused into thinking she was buying denim leggins. I know I would.

p-WA

Dear -----,

Hi there--There are 19 photos of the actual jeans and a complete
description of sizing and fabric content. I will let you know what
the second highest bidder says. Thanks.

- molly_kirker

Dear molly_kirker,

The point is that you put a link to Shopbop in your listing and said
those were the jeans you were selling when they aren't. It doesn't
matter how many photos you have on your listing if you also
include a link to a completely different item.

- (ebay ID)

Hopefully the other bidder will buy them. Agh!

I agree it is confusing. ARe you sure she just didn't put the content wrong on her listing and the one in the link is actually the one she is selling? This is why it is good to read the description throroughly before bidding. In addition are you sure that company doesn't mnake 2 variations on the "jeggings"

^No I'm sure. The fabric content is a dead giveaway. I just didn't realize it until it was too late and the auction ended. I honestly only bid on these jeans because of the title and the link to Shopbop and because they LOOKED like the jeans I wanted. I should have read it more thoroughly because she did give a lot of photos and information but a few things were misleading.

COH makes 2 jeans with "Avedon" in the name. The jeans I want are the COH Avedon/Slick in "Dust" and they make another jean that's just a skinny leg called the "Avedon" which isn't a legging.

If they're not 'CITIZENS OF HUMANITY Avedon Skinny Legging Jeans sz 25' and/or they're not 'Retailing right now on shopbop.com for $185.' and/or this is not them:

http://www.shopbop.com/avedon-slick...4302023720&fm=browse-brand-shopbysize-viewall

Then they are SNAD and eBay/PP will, almost certainly, side with you, if you file a dispute.

So, tell her that's the case and if she has any sense (and is not totally desperate for rent money, this month), she will agree to a mutual cancellation and will be able to get her fees back and relist them; rather putting herself through the hassle and stress of a SNAD dispute/claim for no good reason.

Alternatively, if this is really how she pays her rent, despite her claim to be 'emptying out' her 'THREE huge closets' - look forward to a long, hard (but eventually successful) battle, while she stalls (so she can 'borrow' your money to help her pay her rent).

Good luck! :biggrin:

Last edited:
There were 18 bids on these jeans, and the next 2 bidders were only $2.50 and $5.00 less than your winning bid. Both of those bidders bid several times, so I'm betting they wanted them too. I'd wait and see if the 2nd offer is snapped up before worrying too much. From what everyone else has said, you should be ok if you have to take the next step. You could always go through with the sale and then list them yourself. That might be less of a hassle.

^I'm not going to buy them. The reason why the bids are so high is because she portrayed them as the jean leggings. If she had listed them correctly, as just the "Avedon" then I'm almost positive there wouldn't be as much interest in them. The jeggings are pretty sought after right now.

Well said :tup:

I never rely on an item's title.

I agree it is confusing. ARe you sure she just didn't put the content wrong on her listing and the one in the link is actually the one she is selling? This is why it is good to read the description throroughly before bidding. In addition are you sure that company doesn't mnake 2 variations on the "jeggings"

^in regards to the title..yes!

i have seen tons of auctions where someone would put multiple labels in the title..i get confused as to what label it actually pertains to until i click in and read the description.

a lot of lower end brands, the seller would use, higher brand in title to attract/come up in people's search

annoying but :shrugs:

:sad: pita to go through but i still do