Uh... embarassing question, should I go apply at Hooters? Give me courage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackie100

O.G.
Jan 17, 2007
Ok, this is embarrassing but I'm not doing so well financially these days. I am self employed and a few years I was making very good money. I just didn't manage it very well and overspent, in part because my taxes weren't withheld and I ended up owing way too much.

Anyways, I'm in a bad spot and thinking about applying at Hooters. I'm petite and my boobs look big for my body when I wear my VS Miraculous bra. I don't think the outfits are too sexy (they don't bother me at all), I like wearing short shorts etc. Plus men ogling me doesn't bother me either.

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever worked there and if so how much do you average per shift in tips? Should I apply? (I'm pretty desperate at this point).

I also get really "nervous" and a lot of "anxiety" when I think about applying. Not because of the nature of the job but just walking in there... Maybe because I'm afraid I won't be good enough? Or that the girls working there will stare me down? etc

Can you say something to boost my confidence? Once I GET the job I will have no problem flirting with the men and being confident etc it's just that the task of applying makes me feel a bit nauseous...

I don't want an office 9- job. I want to work at Hooters because the schedule is flexible and will allow me to pursue other things.

if you'll be comfortable with it then i say go ahead and do it.
did you happen to watch the tv show "under cover boss" ?? they had an episode that was all about working at Hooters.

the only thing about working retail/restaurant is that sometimes they may say they're flexible with schedule but they really aren't. I once worked at a restaurant when in high school and my boss got SUPER mad when i had to ask for day off for a MANDATORY school function.

and going in to apply for a job is nerve wracking for most people.... just take a deep breath, say "I'M GOING TO DO IT!" drive over there, go in and ask for an app!

I also think it is wrong to assume it is all men in a Hooters restaurant all checking out the waitresses....

I happen to like their food, and it is kind of me and DH's V-day tradition to go there as it is not terribly crowded and we get a good meal...and I always see a lot of couples and just ordinary people eating there...

But I think these ladies work just as hard as any waitress at any other restaurant...and I bet the tips are in line with other restaurants as well...although I have not worked at either...

So I would say if it appeals to you, then go in and apply...you have nothing to lose!

I also think it is wrong to assume it is all men in a Hooters restaurant all checking out the waitresses....

I happen to like their food, and it is kind of me and DH's V-day tradition to go there as it is not terribly crowded and we get a good meal...and I always see a lot of couples and just ordinary people eating there...

But I think these ladies work just as hard as any waitress at any other restaurant...and I bet the tips are in line with other restaurants as well...although I have not worked at either...

So I would say if it appeals to you, then go in and apply...you have nothing to lose!

ive heard this is the case as well...in fact ive heard bartenders do better than hooters waitresses.

I've never worked at Hooters, but I say go for it! One of my friends worked there for a while about 5-6 years ago and she really enjoyed it. I think she made pretty good tips, but I agree that they're probably in line with most other restaurants. I don't think Hooters girls make more than any other waitress. I have 2 friends who work at Olive Garden and the bartender friend usually makes more in tips than the server friend does.

Honestly Hooters is so tame/toned-down - it isn't really ogling men like in the "old days" - it really seems to be more of a family atmosphere. I think it'd be a fun job. Interviews are nerve-wracking for anyone, just psych yourself up to go and DO IT.

Best of luck!

i remember when i was in high school we were in new orleans for a national youth group conference (for church). I was walking around town with some female friends, male friends and then we were also with our pastor. well the concensus was that we wanted to go to hooters and at the time i found it sorta like :wtf: that my pastor was ok with us going lol but back then i always thought going to hooters was a tabboo sort of thing.

however... we couldn't find it!!! so we went to hard rock cafe instead. i mean we were even so nieve back then to think it was odd that my pastor ordered a beer

and i've still never been to one... and we have one in town. but i'm not really a wing type person so i guess i've never had a reason to want to go there.

Are you looking to apply because you think you will make more money there than at another establishment? If so then go for it. But I wouldn't apply there solely if you can make just as much money elsewhere.

In your past posts, you describe your personality as being very shy (e.g. can't be the first one to open a conversation) et al. Based on that, I recommend that you not work at Hooters as a waitress b/c a lot of the job entails being chatty/open/friendly -- even moreso than being a waitress at other restaurants.

if you'll be comfortable with it then i say go ahead and do it.
did you happen to watch the tv show "under cover boss" ?? they had an episode that was all about working at Hooters.

the only thing about working retail/restaurant is that sometimes they may say they're flexible with schedule but they really aren't. I once worked at a restaurant when in high school and my boss got SUPER mad when i had to ask for day off for a MANDATORY school function.

and going in to apply for a job is nerve wracking for most people.... just take a deep breath, say "I'M GOING TO DO IT!" drive over there, go in and ask for an app!

Yes, I have watched that episode online. It doesn't deter me from wanting to work there though.

In a way I feel embarrassed because I'm a bit older to be applying there. I look a lot younger so I think it's ok appearance wise. It's just embarrassing to be applying for a waitress position at my age. I should be a lot more established and successful at my age and the thing is that a few years ago I was doing great! I'm just not doing so great financially anymore and it's hard to find a job these days, so I have to put my pride away and just do whatever it takes I suppose. It's a bit humbling.

Are you looking to apply because you think you will make more money there than at another establishment? If so then go for it. But I wouldn't apply there solely if you can make just as much money elsewhere.

I read that at Hooters you don't have any sidework, you don't have to do heavy work such as cleaning etc. Your main job is just bringing out food and being friendly/flirty with customers and looking pretty (I read that wearing makeup is a job requirement). It seems easier than working at other establishments. I heard that the tips are much better too.

In your past posts, you describe your personality as being very shy (e.g. can't be the first one to open a conversation) et al. Based on that, I recommend that you not work at Hooters as a waitress b/c a lot of the job entails being chatty/open/friendly -- even moreso than being a waitress at other restaurants.

Yea, this may be a problem and I'm aware that you have to be super friendly and bubbly there and even sit down with customers and chat and go table to table. If I even get the job I'm going to psych myself up by thinking that I'm "playing a role", and putting on a show or performance. It will definitely get me out of my comfort zone, that's for sure, but maybe that will be good for me. Who knows.

Personally, I find the concept of Hooter's disgusting, good food or not. But to help you apply since you seem like you have made up your mind to do it, pretend you are an actor playing a role of someone else.

My elderly in-laws consider Hooters to be a family restaurant like Perkins and go there all the time for dinner.

There used to be a Hooters in our neighborhood and it was packed at lunch time with guys who drove big trucks. You might want to check it out at lunch time to see who your biggest tippers will be. Guys tend to tip well, families and elderly not so well.

Waitressing tips seem to stink these days just about everywhere. The best tips come at restaurants where diners run up the biggest tabs, trendy downtown restaurants for instance, and doesn't Hooters' food tend to be rather low-priced?

I read that at Hooters you don't have any sidework, you don't have to do heavy work such as cleaning etc. Your main job is just bringing out food and being friendly/flirty with customers and looking pretty (I read that wearing makeup is a job requirement). It seems easier than working at other establishments. I heard that the tips are much better too.

Can you go to the restaurant and pull a server aside and ask her what she really thinks about working there before you apply? I think I'd want to know the facts vs. rumors before applying.

Can you go to the restaurant and pull a server aside and ask her what she really thinks about working there before you apply? I think I'd want to know the facts vs. rumors before applying.

Those aren't rumors but facts from what I have read. Hooters girls job is to to be friendly and talk to customers and sometimes you have to go to different tables and sign customers' napkins. This is not just from rumors but from reading blogs from girls who have worked there and also from reading Hooters reviews on Yelp etc.

I read that some girls can be catty and it's like high school over and over again... and sometimes men can be crass etc

Many people who used to waitress at Hooters have stated that being a Hooters girl doesn't involve sidework. I also read the same thing on Yahoo Answers from girls who used to work there.

Status
Not open for further replies.