Questions/Advice about Dental Veneers...?

calibali

O.G.
Jan 30, 2009
I am planning on getting veneers in the next couple weeks and I wanted to know if anyone on here has gotten them recently?

If so, was the experience what you expected? Are you happy with the results? How weird is it afterwards, as in do the veneers feel completely fake in your mouth?

Any advice would be appreciated since I don't know anyone with veneers...

thanks! :biggrin:

Not recently, but I got them 8 years ago. It was the best decision I've ever made. I had a gap in my teeth and was very self-conscious about it. I have veneers on the top 4 middle teeth. I was thrilled with the results and I still am. It was much better than I expected. It was probably a little weird the first couple of days, but not really physically. It was just different to go from teeth that I hated to having perfect teeth, but now I don't even think about it ever. They don't feel fake at all, it feels completely natural to me.

that's great to hear! have you had any problems with discoloration or chipping? any dental issues because of them?

i'm getting veneers solely for cosmetic reasons; i have very very small teeth and both sides have large gaps that I am really self-conscious of.

hopefully more people can share!

I'm on my 3 set, first was 20 years ago..2 was about 10 years ago (different doctors)
first 2 sets were not a problem, this new set
was a nightmare, I cried for days and had to have them redone
at cost.
They were too white and even, it looked like I had dentures on..
I ok'd the color, not knowing better..
this doctor threw a booklet at me and told me to choose the shape(??!!).
Again, the prior doctors seemed to know what would look good, and first two sets looked great and natural.

Expensive lesson learned..
make sure you choose a natural color, like a bright light yellow,
NOT a bright white which looks like blue..
Also, make sure the teeth lengths aren't the same length, like dentures..

Mine are still too white, for what I paid, I should be thrilled, Im not.

Im still livid over the ordeal.

Nope, no discoloration. Before I got my veneers, I whitened my teeth with crest white strips and I got very white veneers. They do stain just like teeth, but they also whiten just like teeth (but obviously they will never get whiter than their original color.) I still use white strips every now and then just like everyone else. I haven't had any chipping or any other issues either.

My dentist did a very conservative job of shaving down my real teeth so that if I ever do have any issues, the veneers could be removed and I could have new ones put on because my real teeth weren't shaved down too thin... Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions

I think veneers can look great. My only piece of advice would be to not get them too perfect. Some veneers are just too white, too straight/even, and just too darn perfect, which makes them look like a big ol' mouth of fake teeth. Best of luck and post pics after you get them done:smile:

My fiance got them right before I met him about 6 years ago. He still says he regrets it.

I don't know what his teeth looked like before - he refuses to show me pictures. But I do know he got the veneers mainly to correct uneven staining and fillings, not crookedness. He has either all 6 or all 8 top front teeth done. Personally, I would have gone whiter if it was me, but his dentist made them only one shade lighter than his other teeth. Also, he measured wrong (which is insane because he went to this really expensive dentist who supposedly does this for celebrities) so one of his front teeth is a hair longer than the other. I never would have noticed on my own, but once he pointed it out, I could tell. The dentist offered to correct it for free but my fiance didn't want the guy to damage his teeth any further.

One of them has chipped. It is his left eye tooth and it isn't super noticeable, but it is there. He has not been able to afford to get it corrected, but aside from worrying about it, the chip has not caused any pain. I guess it chipped from age or something - or perhaps the veneer was not stabilized correctly - it is hard to know. My fiance does not bite into apples, sandwiches, bread, etc. anything moderately hard to hard because he worries about chipping his teeth. He has to cut everything up (which is such a pain because I'm a grab an apple and go hiking kind of girl).

Overall, his veneers have caused him a ton of insecurity, which is sad. I don't know what he was like about his teeth before I met him though, but he is totally neurotic about them now. He also claims the veneers changed how he speaks slightly, but he believes this is because the dentist measured them wrong. He is a lawyer and wants to get them corrected when we are more financially able because he worries about how he is speaking with his veneers when he is in the courtroom. So, that's everything I know about veneers. Really make sure the dentist you go to knows what they are doing. I don't think everyone has as bad of an experience as my fiance has had. He regrets getting his veneers, but I think if he had gone to someone else he'd be happier with the results.

Last edited:
annaspanna33 - you don't need to do your whole mouth. most people just do the top ones that you can see when you smile naturally. I'm either going to do 8 or 10, which is about the average.

today i'm getting the last of my necessary dental work done (a few crowns), and then i will be calling a few of the more well-known cosmetic dentists in my area to set up consultations. when i meet with them, does anyone know what kind of questions i should ask? of course i will look at pictures of their work and tell them what i want to achieve, but any idea how i can figure out who is my best bet?

thanks for all the advice so far everybody!!! this really is such an important decision because it's so expensive and hard to correct them if it's not done right initially...

a friend of mine got veneers a few years ago because her teeth were pretty small and had gaps and didn't really have a nice shape for some reason. she was hysterically crying and wouldn't leave the office until the dentist removed them because she HATED the results and said they looked so fake, so white, and so big. so make sure you choose what is appropriate for your smile and your look. the big white, perfect teeth we see on celebs may not be the best for everyone.

I'm actually going next Thursday to get temporary crowns on 8 of my top teeth. The dentist recommended crowns because they last longer & are more durable. oh & they cover the whole tooth & not just the front side. I went & got the impressions last week. Getting the temps on the 25th...give the okay for size, color, & shape & they will go ahead & make the permanents which won't be done until mid April. I will take before & after pictures as well & post them.

The reason I'm getting them done is b/c 2 of my teeth never came in. the 2 on the side of the big front teeth. So, it's just big teeth, K9. I did have braces which brought them all together, but now it just looks funny & I hate to smile (mostly in photos).

I was a bit nervous at first, but I did ask lots of questions. I feel fine at the moment...reading some of you say you/bf/friend regret them kind of worries me.

EllAva - did you request that your dentist be conservative when shaving your teeth or did he just do it authomatically?

He did it automatically. When he was finished, he told me he was able to do a conservative job and other dentists have commented on the great job he did (I guess they can see my real teeth behind my veneers when they're cleaning my teeth.)

i made consultation appts with 2 cosmetic dentists in my area. i'm a little worried about one... she is VERY well known and it looks like the fees are going to relfect her status (the consultation is $350!). I feel confident she would do a good job, but i also don't want to overpay. I'm just wondering if i should bother with her. I know she'll do great, but it might just end up being way more than i want to spend.

what would you do?

my other guy has great credentials and experience, but it seems no one else is at the level of the woman... such a hard decision :s