half.com issue

peachygoldfish

i love my lobster
O.G.
Jan 8, 2009
*Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please move it. thank you!*

I recently sold a nursing book on half.com and realized that the book was sold as a set of 2 but was only selling one (i had already sold the other book years ago). I already shipped the book to the buyer and she contacted me. I realized my mistake and we have been communicating to fix the situation. I am aware that is my fault and I accept it. To rectify the situation, I plan to issue her a refund of the book and shipping costs, and her costs to ship the book back to me. However, in the midst of our conversing, she decides to issue a buyer's claim. (I thought you issue a buyer's claim when a solution could not be reached?) Anyways, she doesn't want to send the book back until she gets her refund. So my question is, what protection do I have as a seller? What if I issue her a refund but she doesn't send the book back? (She's also has no feedback at all, so hence my uneasiness).

any feedback would be most appreciated.

I'd call ebay, which owns half.com and ask them. If they say you're suppose to refund the buyer first, then make sure you inquire about how many days does the buyer have to mail out the item and I believe half.com requires tracking number.

I would call them immediately before you issue a refund or talk to the buyer anymore.

must...not..make......stupid.....joke.....
butcan'thelpmyself!

You could just say that you only sent half the book-set since it was on....yup... half.com

Sorry. I KNOW I'm lame.

I hope it works out for you, OP.

^HAHAHAHA thanks for the comedic relief. I already contacted her saying that I'll just give her her damn refund and I expect my book back. I know, bad move, but I just want to done with it.

Why don't you try calling ebay and talking to them about your half.com purchase? Same company...when you call paypal they can transfer you to an ebay rep so I don't see why this would be different.

=O lame! I'd wait for the email from half.com to be honest. Make sure all your communication is through the resolution as well. Maybe if the buyer will give you tracking information for the book no more than x business days after you issue the refund?

It's a tough call....

sorry my advice didn't work out =/

You can just wait out the claim since she already filed it. I had to file a claim since the seller wasn't responding to me, and I was instructed to send the item back first before the refund. That's pretty standard, I think.

@nancyxwu: don't worry. I'm happy and appreciate that you gave me your feedback! I was on the half.com community forum and a member stated that I should not be pressured to issue a refund first so I contacted half.com and I contacted the buyer again stating that I just don't feel comfortable about it and that I'll wait and see what the half.com team says about her claim. The member also stated that if she files the claim, that she'd get a msg stating she would have to send the book back first before getting her refund. Idk about this, bc I've never had any problems on half.com. So we'll see. Thanks again for the responses :smile:

yup - you should give the refund AFTER you get the book back.
Its not like regular stores will give refunds before having their goods back either - its standard procedure!