all the lovely NYC blondes =) please help!

babysweetums

louisvuittonroad
O.G.
Nov 27, 2009
hello ladies =) i am so ready to go blonde for summer...the backstory is i had a head full of virgin medium brown hair last week (i hadnt dyed it for 3 years because i wanted to make sure it was in the best condition possible for going blonde) i went to parvin klein at the john barrett salon because i heard she was the best...i paid a ton of money and am sadly so dissapointed as i was very clear that i wanted a full head of blond hair and she basically refused because she didnt think it would look good and after a hour convinced me to trust her and she gave me highlights that i hate....grrrrrr now i need a recommendation for someone who will actually do what i ask and do a good job...any suggestions? thanks ladies

I'm not a blonde but I've worked at a few salons and know who's GREAT

1. Paul Cucinello at Chris Chase Salon
2. David at Chris Chase
3.Tommy Buckett at Sally Hershberger

p.s. john barett and rita hazan are by far the two most overrated salons in the city

There are a few really good people at Bumble and Bumble Up Town. My stylist Raisia is pregnant and going on maternity in a few weeks, so unless you plan on going soon, may not be your best option. She's fabulous at browns, reds and highlighting medium brown hair. I am going to Paulene when she leaves, but there is another woman there who colors mostly blonds and they're all fantastic. Her name might be Michelle. She's a tall, attractive blond. I'm not 100% sure of her name, but if I were going blond, I might go to her.

I'm not blond either but I love my stylist/colorist b/c she listens to what I want. Her name is Tina at Shige Kosuda Salon. She's super nice and though not cheap, not crazy expensive.

I'm not blond either but I love my stylist/colorist b/c she listens to what I want. Her name is Tina at Shige Kosuda Salon. She's super nice and though not cheap, not crazy expensive.

Are you brunette? If so do you do a single process or highlights? It's harder than most people think to find someone who can do brown w\out making it black or red....

hello ladies =) i am so ready to go blonde for summer...the backstory is i had a head full of virgin medium brown hair last week (i hadnt dyed it for 3 years because i wanted to make sure it was in the best condition possible for going blonde) i went to parvin klein at the john barrett salon because i heard she was the best...i paid a ton of money and am sadly so dissapointed as i was very clear that i wanted a full head of blond hair and she basically refused because she didnt think it would look good and after a hour convinced me to trust her and she gave me highlights that i hate....grrrrrr now i need a recommendation for someone who will actually do what i ask and do a good job...any suggestions? thanks ladies

LOL!!! I literally had the SAME experience there about 2 years ago, but with a different stylist there- i can't remember his name. he did an amazing job but refused to go all blonde because he said it wouldnt look good- i know you and i have similar hair color and complexions too :smile: That's awful because it's so expensive there. I think you should sit tight and wait for now- make sure you like the high lights for a couple weeks, then maybe try a different salon. I think that a lot of good salons are reluctant to take someone from brunette to blonde in one sitting for fear of damage, but the bottom line is you should get what you want regardless of where you go and what you pay. I havent dyed my hair since, so i dont have any suggestions :sad:

LOL!!! I literally had the SAME experience there about 2 years ago, but with a different stylist there- i can't remember his name. he did an amazing job but refused to go all blonde because he said it wouldnt look good- i know you and i have similar hair color and complexions too :smile: That's awful because it's so expensive there. I think you should sit tight and wait for now- make sure you like the high lights for a couple weeks, then maybe try a different salon. I think that a lot of good salons are reluctant to take someone from brunette to blonde in one sitting for fear of damage, but the bottom line is you should get what you want regardless of where you go and what you pay. I havent dyed my hair since, so i dont have any suggestions :sad:

lol nerdy so i guess were not the only ones...they were so dramatic about it, i couldnt belive she was really refusing to do it...when i was leaving she said i could come back in 6 weeks and she would consider putting more highlights in...lol yeahh right like ill keep going back every 6 weeks for $600+tip a pop and just keep getting more highlights and maybe in a year and 5000$ later ill be blonde lol....whatever ill never go back there and i would steer anyone i know clear of there as well....they were just going on and on about how bad it would look...i was pretty insulted

Last edited:
i know seriously!!! i got the same thing- come back in a few weeks and get more highlights. ummm not for that price lol!!! i knew it was going to be expesive but almost died at the front desk when they said $385 and all i had done was a trim and face framing highlights lol!!!

I'll give them this- they did get the right color blond- it was not orange/yellow etc. but i could have done with out their pressuring comments about how awful i'd look and that i can NOT go blonde with my complexion etc. barf!

Are you brunette? If so do you do a single process or highlights? It's harder than most people think to find someone who can do brown w\out making it black or red....

I'm a brunette right now but black is my natural hair color. My stylist gives me fantastic highlights which are neither brassy nor red, but a rich brown color (via highlights/lowlights). I've been through numerous colorists b/c of the brassy/red issue.

:weird: its almost $400 for highlights and a trim in NYC??? Thats scary lol, i live 3 hours from the city and i go to the most expensive place around here to get my hair done. For a cut and highlights its $140 (give or take a bit)...and i always think that thats sooo much haha.

I'm a brunette right now but black is my natural hair color. My stylist gives me fantastic highlights which are neither brassy nor red, but a rich brown color (via highlights/lowlights). I've been through numerous colorists b/c of the brassy/red issue.

What does she charge out of curiosity? I've also been through a bunch. The girl I have now at Bumble and Bumble is great, but I'm worried about when she leaves on maternity.

She's also my stylist, so my color and cut cost approximately $250. I'm guessing the highlights cost $180 and the cut cost $70? I love that she's both my stylist and colorist. It used to be such a pain trying to coordinate a stylist and a colorist for back-to-back appointments. (There was a time when I was dumb enough to pay $400 for cut and then $450 for coloring...what was I thinking? Soooo not worth it.)

She's also my stylist, so my color and cut cost approximately $250. I'm guessing the highlights cost $180 and the cut cost $70? I love that she's both my stylist and colorist. It used to be such a pain trying to coordinate a stylist and a colorist for back-to-back appointments. (There was a time when I was dumb enough to pay $400 for cut and then $450 for coloring...what was I thinking? Soooo not worth it.)

I am going to tuck her name away! Dare I say she's reasonable.... I pay $90 for a cut and Bumble and then have to tip everyone and their grandmother, so it ends up being a lot when it's all said and done.... and I thought that was reasonable!