How can I obtain a seller's confirmed address?

Melly

O.G.
Dec 3, 2006
I purchased a used bag on eBay last week. I received the item last Monday (03/08/2010) and noticed a small ink stain on the front of the (white) bag. The listing states that the item must be returned within 7 days after the buyer receives it and a refund will be given as money back. I contacted the seller about a return Tuesday and requested her address. The seller responded late Wednesday with her work address. She then writes me again the next morning offering me a small partial refund ($30) if I agreed to keep the bag. I emailed her back and countered with a $40 refund. I also said that if she preferred I would gladly send the bag back for a full refund. I have not heard from her since.

Because Monday is the last day to receive a refund under her policy I want to mail this bag out tomorrow but I am unsure if the address she provided is the "confirmed" address with Paypal. I called eBay to ask for their advice and the only option they were able to provide me was to file a dispute with the seller. When I asked if they could at least confirm that the address she provided me was the one they had on file for her they told me the only information they could give me was the seller's phone number. They then said that if I wanted more information that I would have to speak to Paypal. When I called Paypal I was told that due to privacy rules they were not able to provide me with the seller's confirmed address unless the seller gives them permission first. They called the seller but no one picked up. I was then told to keep calling the seller until I spoke with her and then encourage her to call Paypal and agree to let them release the address information to me. *sigh*

So now I feel stuck. I want to return the bag but I am afraid that her work address is not the true "confirmed" address and I could be out both the bag and the money. I intend on shipping the bag with full insurance and signature confirmation but if I ship to the wrong address can't the seller just claim that she never received it? I really don't want to file a dispute unless it's absolutely necessary but I don't know if I have any other options.

Any ideas on how to obtain the seller's confirmed address? Or ideas on how else I should approach this situation? TIA for your help! :heart:

Crikey Melly!

If it goes beyond seven days and the seller doesn't respond, you should file a Paypal claim. If you explain that you contacted the seller within the 7 day return window and she never followed up with a resolution, I don't see why Paypal wouldn't side with you and allow you to return it. At that point, Paypal will provide the confirmed return address to ship the bag.

Make sure you saved all the emails. The auction should clearly state return within 7 days allowed by seller. If you've got all that, I would think you'll be covered. Good luck!! Let me know how it works out.

Melly, do you still have the box it came in? If the seller printed out the mailing label with postage through Paypal, the confirmed Paypal address would be on there.

Don't trust the box. Definitely confirm with paypal. I had a seller once use a different address on the shipping label than his confirmed address. (Shipping label was not a paypal shipping label.) When paypal gave me a different address, I was completely confused. Paypal told me to use the address that paypal gave.

Crikey Melly!

If it goes beyond seven days and the seller doesn't respond, you should file a Paypal claim. If you explain that you contacted the seller within the 7 day return window and she never followed up with a resolution, I don't see why Paypal wouldn't side with you and allow you to return it. At that point, Paypal will provide the confirmed return address to ship the bag.

Make sure you saved all the emails. The auction should clearly state return within 7 days allowed by seller. If you've got all that, I would think you'll be covered. Good luck!! Let me know how it works out.

Thanks Thithi! :heart: I have printed out the auction description & shipping and payments tab (where the return policy is stated) just to be safe. All communication between the seller and myself took place in eBay's messaging system so I have copies there as well as my email account. I'll definitely let you know how this turns out.

Melly, do you still have the box it came in? If the seller printed out the mailing label with postage through Paypal, the confirmed Paypal address would be on there.

Thanks for the idea but unfortunately the seller did not use the Paypal prepaid mailing label. The return address listed on the box is the same work address she sent me earlier. I appreciate your input though!

Don't trust the box. Definitely confirm with paypal. I had a seller once use a different address on the shipping label than his confirmed address. (Shipping label was not a paypal shipping label.) When paypal gave me a different address, I was completely confused. Paypal told me to use the address that paypal gave.

That's my concern. I really don't want to mail this bag to some random address and lose my Paypal coverage. I just wish Paypal didn't make it so hard to obtain the confirmed address when the auction clearly states the seller accepts returns.

I honestly don't see why you would need any copies of emails/return policies if you file a dispute with Paypal. The item was not as described, period. The seller is messing around with the shipping address, possibly to scam you out of a refund (maybe not, but you never know).

If I were you, I'd just file the dispute & get it overwith. I understand wanting to wait & be nice, but the seller is being unresponsive and you want to get that SNAD bag out of your hands, right?

Last edited:
Melly, I agree with the others, you do have to protect yourself. Unless the seller responds to Paypal with permission to give out the confirmed address, filing a dispute is the only way to get it. I'm sure you're feeling bad about having to do that, but you really don't have much choice.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the seven day return policy too much. If the seller has that kind of timeline listed but still doesn't bother responding to you in a timely manner then that's their problem, not yours. eBay's and PayPal's policies offer you far more time.

Seeing as the seller hasn't responded to you since the first refund offer and was only willing to give you their work address (imagine how many people would have access to your package there) then I think the only thing left to do is file a SNAD so you can return the bag to the correct address and get your money back. It will get their attention at the very least.