My dog Mushu was attacked by raccoons...

kuriso

O.G.
Aug 9, 2006
Hi Everyone! I'm new to Animalicious! I'm Christie and I have a dog named Mushu who is 7 years old. Mushu is a very quiet and loving Pomeranian. He rarely barks and spends most of his time chilling and relaxing. For a while now, we've been getting problems with raccoons. Mushu rarely goes outside but I take him out to the backyard sometimes so he can run around and smell flowers (thats his favorite activity). Months back, I let Mushu outside and I was in the kitchen washing dishes..theres a window so I can see Mushu. I heard Mushu bark and I ran outside! There were racoons!!!! Mushu cried because one of the raccoons managed to scratch Mushu's nose. Since then, I rarely let Mushu outside... Mushu is scared to death and I can totally understand. The raccoons are about twice the size Mushu is. The raccoons arent even scared of humans anymore. I'm scared of them! Nowadays Mushu is strictly kept indoors except for when he needs to use the restroom and I quickly take him outside...but now at night, he barks all the time. He didnt bark before. I suspect that he knows theres raccoons outside. He runs to me and tells me to open the door for him to let him go outside. But I cant! I wont! Mushu looks at me like "lemme go..I will not let them take over our territory!" Mushu tries to be brave but I know hes scared..this is driving me up the wall. Mushu cant sleep now because raccoons are always outside at night..he barks..i cant sleep...im stressed out..hes stressed out...I even notice Mushu not eating as much and his hair is falling off.....Im really worried about Mushu. What can I do? And what can I do about the raccoons? I dont even take out the garbage at night because Im scared of raccoons..they even tried to attack me!

Last edited:
Oh no, that sounds awful. Have you spoken with someone at Animal Control in your area? I'm not sure if they relocate raccoons, or if that even keeps them from returning, but might we worth a try. Your poor baby.... I hope they leave your yard so that Mushu can go back to smelling the flowers. (very sweet)

thats so scary! we have a lot of raccoons in the area and i never thought of them attacking my pom. are they rabid? it sounds so odd of them to be so aggressive otherwise. i know whenever i go outside at night and i see a raccoon, they scurry away from me, not the other way around. i would call your local animal control.

What can I do? And what can I do about the raccoons? I dont even take out the garbage at night because Im scared of raccoons..they even tried to attack me!

If you're in town, contact Animal Control. They'll trap and remove them.

i know whenever i go outside at night and i see a raccoon, they scurry away from me, not the other way around. i would call your local animal control.

Unless they're in or near the trash cans or they have young with them. If they're cornered or surprised, they can be very aggressive.

Be careful (both you and Mushu!) as raccoons are common carriers of rabies-make sure your dog's vaccinations are up to date-and yes, call animal control!

Kuriso, please call your vet and animal control. I don't mean to scare you, it may be different in your area, and just as a precaution, call, but aggressive racoons in my area almost always turn out to be rabid.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. I got my dog in the house in time. I happened to be outside when the racoon approached..in broad daylight. The dog next door wasn't so lucky.

You need to get the dogs checked out asap if you ever believe they've been bit. This has been happening in PA a lot lately and last night they put out an advisory to keep all dogs & cats inside for their own safety until they they get a handle on it. Apparently, there have been a few Raccoons that tested positive for rabies in the PA area. Normally a raccoon won't approach a dog in daylight so if this happens there is a chance the raccoon is infected.

Call animal control.

I'm wondering if your feelings and fear of the raccoons (i.e., you say you're scared of them) and/or what they might do to your dogs is transferring to your dog. And the feelings you think you dog is experiencing ...may be what you are experiencing...KWIM??

I the meantime, good advice from everyone else....definitely keep the rabies vacs up to date just in case. Raccoons can certainly be bold.

That aggressive behavior sounds unusual to me. If they aren't rabid, maybe they are experiencing a scarcity of food and that's making them more aggressive? I called animal control and other animal organizations a couple of years ago because we had a mountain lion right on the fringes of our neighborhood. They said they would not relocate it because it would be attacked by the animals in the new area and it would only try to make its way back. They said the only thing we could do was call the sheriff if the animal became an imminent threat. Sadly, I believe one of the neighbors took matters into their own hands and shot it.
If animal control won't help you, you might want to seek advice from local wildlife rescue people. In the meantime, I would keep your doggie on a leash with you. GL.

If you're in town, contact Animal Control. They'll trap and remove them.

Unless they're in or near the trash cans or they have young with them. If they're cornered or surprised, they can be very aggressive.

So that's why! We put out our garbage cans in the backyard and noticed that they were always near there. Also, the raccoons are in packs! I've definitely seen them with young many times. I even asked my neighbors from a couple of blocks to see if they have this kind of issue and they do too!

I'm wondering if your feelings and fear of the raccoons (i.e., you say you're scared of them) and/or what they might do to your dogs is transferring to your dog. And the feelings you think you dog is experiencing ...may be what you are experiencing...KWIM??

I the meantime, good advice from everyone else....definitely keep the rabies vacs up to date just in case. Raccoons can certainly be bold.

Wow..I never thought about my feelings being transferred to Mushu. It really makes sense to me because there have been several occasions where I would scream because I, too got scared of the raccoons. I notice Mushu doesn't even want to go outside in general anymore. We try to let him outside of the front porch but he won't even go out anymore. I really dont blame him because I'm uncomfortable going out there by myself too. There has been times I went outside to pick up ice cream with BF and raccoons would be under the car or on the right side of the car. Its dark outside so there were times I screamed because the raccoons surprised me. BF, on the other hand, isn't scared of them. But we are both very agitated by them. We can't sleep at night because we hear Mushu barking..we hear the raccoons moving around the backyard. I suspect that they are living under the porch in the backyard. We noticed they tend to be around there...A while back, we thought...its not a big issue..no worries..but it just feels like theres no end to this!

You need to get the dogs checked out asap if you ever believe they've been bit. This has been happening in PA a lot lately and last night they put out an advisory to keep all dogs & cats inside for their own safety until they they get a handle on it. Apparently, there have been a few Raccoons that tested positive for rabies in the PA area. Normally a raccoon won't approach a dog in daylight so if this happens there is a chance the raccoon is infected.

Call animal control.

Thanks. I'll be sure to get Mushu checked out at the vet and call animal control! I think Mushu has a lot of anxiety. He shakes and whimpers more often than usual now......

Kuriso, please call your vet and animal control. I don't mean to scare you, it may be different in your area, and just as a precaution, call, but aggressive racoons in my area almost always turn out to be rabid.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. I got my dog in the house in time. I happened to be outside when the racoon approached..in broad daylight. The dog next door wasn't so lucky.

Thanks for your advice! I will call my vet and animal control.
I hear all my neighbors with dogs now screaming "COME INSIDE COME INSIDE!" to their dogs. I know im not the only one in the neighborhood dealing with this issue but unfortunately for me, I think I'm the one with raccoons living in the back yard...