Seller sold me shoes with drilled holes on the bottom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixiepeach

Mar 1, 2010
I purchased a pair of Miu Miu sandals on eBay last week. I was so excited to get them as I had been really wanting them for some time now. They were described as like new worn once.

The seller failed to mention that they are two huge drilled holes into the bottom of the right shoe. There is also bright blue ink writing on the right shoe as well. And the leather is stained.

I'm so ticked off. I really wanted these shoes and had been searching for quite some time. I just messaged the seller so I really hope I get a refund.

I tried to file with eBay but they told me to contact her first. I hope this works out. Wish me luck. One of my first eBay problems.

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear. Definitely try to work things out with the seller first. Perhaps she'll offer you a partial refund, or if you don't want the shoes with the issues, she'll accept the return.

If she is uncooperative and doesn't want to do either of these options, you can file a SNAD to try to get your money back.

If I were you, I'd hold off on leaving FB until you know what her response is. If she's willing to work with you, you may wish to leave a neutral but definitely state the condition of the shoes but the seller worked with you to a mutual resolution.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Well, she did respond and is I suppose being cooperative but my her response is quite baffling.

"I am very disappointed to hear you are so displeased with the shoes. (They are really wonderful shoes, even as is.) Please note that:
-The ad clearly mentioned that the shoes were used
-There were several pictures for you to view
-You asked zero questions about the shoes, even though I encouraged it in the ad
-I bent over backwards to answer every question that you had and to accommodate all of your requests exhaustively…you ate up a good portion of my time doing this
-The ad clearly states "no returns accepted," which means you should be 100% sure of what you are getting BEFORE you bid
I am truly sorry that you are unhappy with them...they were originally listed at an astronomical discount at just $55; you choose to bid them up to $202.50 without asking any details whatsoever. Your buyer's remorse is not my fault, but here are your options at this juncture:
-You can contact Ebay and open a case. They will email you a shipping label so you can return the shoes at their expense under the “buyer protection plan.” Once I receive the shoes, I will refund your money and the case will close.
-You can keep the shoes and I will refund you $120 (my original asking price plus shipping, plus my inconvenience covered). Then you can resell them (they had 46 watchers and you can use my pictures from the original listing -I am positive that you will recoup your money and make a profit). Or you can keep them and use them…they are still VERY good shoes and are well worth that residual amount.
Regardless of what you decide, please BE FAR MORE CAREFUL with your bids in the future and ASK QUESTIONS!!!! (If an item is listed for $55, you shouldn’t bid it up 400% without wondering why it was a “too good to be true price” in your mind. $55 is more than fair for the shoes, you bid them up to your buyers’ remorse level.)
Please note that this is a huge burden to me across the board:
-to originally list the item,
-to answer all of your questions during the auction, -to try to find ways to send them to you early,
-to package and ship them out,
-to figure out how to fix your upset now,
-and to relist the item later once they are received; hoping they are in just as good a condition after being shipped twice
Again, I am sorry that you are upset, however, for the sake of all Ebayers everywhere, PLEASE get much better at Ebay quickly if you are going to be bidding on things! "

Just wow! I cannot believe she had the nerve to write that email to me. Funny thing is she disclosed in the auction that there was a small nick on the shoe. Hm, how come she didn't disclose that there were drilled holes in the bottom and pen ink? She also took a complete shot of the left sole and then a somewhat photo of the right sole (in the same picture). She put the left shoe at an angle to block the sole of the right shoe.

I was going to respond but forget it, I am not wasting my time on her non sense!!

I would have to reply to that one. I wouldn't be able to stop myself.

From now on, I suppose you should ask every seller if the shoes have holes drilled in the bottom. :rolleyes: Are the holes big?

It;s like she is tryingto blame you because you didn't ask any questions etc. As it occured to you to ask about HOLES in the bottom--YEAH RIGHT. Just file SNAD and don't deal with her. UNLESS you do want to accept the partial refund.

I would have to reply to that one. I wouldn't be able to stop myself.

From now on, I suppose you should ask every seller if the shoes have holes drilled in the bottom. :rolleyes: Are the holes big?

Oh trust me, I want to respond! My SO talked me out of it, unfortunately LOL.

Seriously! She listed the shoes as "worn once". I wasn't aware so much damage could occur in one use. Actually, I'm not sure how that type of damage would occur period!

They are a medium size. They looked about the size of a standard nail and there's all marks around it. I have a feeling they were twisted into a display or something.

It;s like she is tryingto blame you because you didn't ask any questions etc. As it occured to you to ask about HOLES in the bottom--YEAH RIGHT. Just file SNAD and don't deal with her. UNLESS you do want to accept the partial refund.

I know right!

I just filed the SNAD. I don't want the partial refund as I really don't feel they are worth even that much. And after the bad taste she left in my mouth, no way!

i know that sometimes details about a shoe might be overlooked and not mentioned in a listing but 2 holes are quite different and should have been mentioned in the listing AND pictures should have been included. There is no reason that you and everyone else bidding should have thought to ask if there were holes in the shoe, it should have been the seller's responsibility to disclose.

Also did the seller really think that they could get away with sending a shoe like this and that it would go unnoticed? They were asking for a claim to be opened. This sort of reminds me of the person selling a single shoe and wording the listing so it was ambiguous. Trying to pull a fast one over buyers really gives ebay sellers a bad name and easily can explain frustrations with buying on ebay.

In terms of leaving a negative, if you return them for a refund I would say leave a neutral saying in your feedback something to the effect " not described well, drilled holes in shoe, received refund" perhaps that will help others in the future question the seller's other items

Why would someone drill holes in the bottom of shoes? I am confused.

Shoes with holes drilled at the bottom are usually used for display and are not for sale. I often see this at the shoe shows for upcoming shoes for the next season or on their display boards

If the seller did not disclose the screw holes or clearly show them in the photo, this is a SNAD situation and you are totally justified in filing a dispute with eBay/Paypal.

As a personal anecdote, I have a pair of shoes with small holes drilled on the bottom of one sole for sale right now. I purchased them at a store called Last Chance in Phoenix, which is where Nordstrom sends all of its returns that are sellable but not in new condition, and all of the stuff that doesn't sell well at Nordstrom Rack. I assumed that they were a display pair when I bought them, and I fully disclose the screw marks and clearly show them in my photos. It's fine to sell shoes with flaws like this, as long as they are fully disclosed and pictured, which she did not do. I'd just open the dispute and let eBay/Paypal deal with it from now on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.